Windshield Replacement/Source (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just wondering what you guys paid for the install?? I'm being quoted $250. Thx

And for those in Arizona ... Diamond Auto Glass ( Auto Glass Company Flagstaff, AZ, and Nearby Areas | Diamond Auto Glass - https://thedifferenceisclear.com ) in Flagstaff was able to locate the TriVal glass (FW00425) in a uniform blue or bronze tint for my FJ62. Both Stewart and Jason were super helpful and confident about doing the install. Most places have the glass with the blue tint stripe at the top and the "clear" is a bit harder to find.
UPDATE: Well it turned out that Diamond Auto Glass didn't come through at all in the end...and I was extremely upset at the time (and still am really) about how it all turned out. My painter in Flagstaff (who otherwise has a great reputation) didn't really want to handle the windshield install, so I had contacted the local glass shop (Diamond) who assured me they had the TriVal glass list above. The paint shop agreed to purchase the OEM locking strip for me from the local Toyota dealer.

I made a huge deal about the fact that I DID NOT want the blue tint stripe across the top and wanted it installed with butyl adhesive. But on the day of the install...the day I'm flying out there to pick up my truck, everything went FUBAR. Diamond had promised to send a tech over to install it at the paint shop, then asked to have it brought to them. Finally they sent the tech over, but he showed up without butyl. More phone calls and I boarded the plane.

So...when I got there to pick up the truck, the damn BLUE TINT windshield was installed and the top piece of the locking strip was missing (didn't come in on time). Driving home into the sun I could see the butyl handprints and smears all over the window.

@FJ6T to answer your question, I paid them ZERO for the install (though they wanted to charge me $200 plus) and I had to purchase (and install) the upper locking strip myself after the fact. It was painful and I still haven't placed the two top corner pieces. Surprisingly my local Toyota dealer tech told me he doesn't use butyl to install these windshields...for what that is worth. The adhesive was relatively easy to clean off with acetone and I can mostly ignore the blue stripe. It is nice not to look through a pitted windshield, so that's a plus, but at times when I'm reminded of the whole situation my blood does boil.

A cheap install usually means the cheapest Chinese glass and little to no prep on the mounting surface and probably no sealant (FSM dictates use of sealant). I'd get everything in writing that you expect or want them to do. Often it's best to print out the specific pages in the FSM (pdf) and hand it to the service writer and tell them you want it done this way. If they balk, go elsewhere. Too many windshield leak and rust from bad installs.

Here's another update for anyone in the Portland area. Collision Auto Glass (Auto Glass Shop Portland | Collision Auto Glass & Calibration - https://collisionautoglass.com/) in Beaverton does a great job with 60/62 windshields. They do installs as well as reseals and do work with several local cruiser shops.
Thanks for tip, @FJ6T! The guys at Collision are a class act. Scott is the man and knows the Land Cruiser well. He knew exactly the steps that were required, they cleaned up the rust with a wire wheel and primer. Very happy and the price was very fair!

If you’re in the Portland-Metro area, this is the place to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom