Windshield Replacement/Source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Does anyone know where and if you can source a 60 series windshield without the Starsky & Hutch blue shade band on the top? OEM is NLA anywhere in the US. The major replacement shops I've called all have the shade band. Maybe a JDM source?

Had my windshield replaced 5-6 years ago, no shade band across the top, clear glass top to bottom.
The photo below is all I can tell you about it, think the shop sourced it, kind of an old school type shop...

EDEFFC08-1EDE-497C-AC7C-417ACF5F178D.jpeg

These are really really nice folks to deal with -- And they ship.

Call them and tell them what you're after. Personally, in So Cal, I prefer the one with the Sun blocker.

These are really really nice folks to deal with -- And they ship.

Call them and tell them what you're after. Personally, in So Cal, I prefer the one with the Sun blocker.
Nice!. I called a few places today and eventually landed at Classic Auto Glass Oregon 541-579-0372 - https://autoglassics.com/. They were able to look nationwide and had one shipped as will-call to a local distributor. Price was 200$ shipped. I'll post a pic here after its installed.

No luck contacting XYG directly. They don't deal direct and I wasn't able to get their list of North American distributors.

Nice!. I called a few places today and eventually landed at Classic Auto Glass Oregon 541-579-0372 - https://autoglassics.com/. They were able to look nationwide and had one shipped as will-call to a local distributor. Price was 200$ shipped. I'll post a pic here after its installed.

No luck contacting XYG directly. They don't deal direct and I wasn't able to get their list of North American distributors.
I'd love to know how your experience goes. I have a 87 FJ60, the windshield was supposed to be replaced today, but when I showed up at the shop the tech said "oh you have a nice one"... Apparently they only work on rusted ones so they can blame windshield leaks on the car vs. craftsmanship... Glad I was warned, asked for a refund and left.

So the windshield is great. I had the precision gasket on the shelf and its great. What isn't great is that the tech wasn't going to install it with adhesive and when I asked wtf? He said you need it but they didn't send it with me today. So after a brief deer in the headlights moment I told him to step away from the windshield and come back with the butyl adhesive. That will likely be after the weekend due bad weather here. I'll throw up some pictures when it's in.

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

Good you stood your ground. There's a good chance they'll leak without the goop. I smell BS that tech didn't have it; using the adhesive/sealant adds considerable time and effort to the job so it's usually left out.. If the lip around the WS opening is rusty, have it coated or repaired now. Pro shops also have a rust stop/converter they should coat it with.

Good luck.

Google review time...

Mobile Auto Glass
816 N Lombard St, Portland, OR

Critical: Professionalism
They delivered my windshield for install and did not bring the required adhesives. The installer left and said he would be back the following day with the materials he needed and two weeks later my windshield sits in the garage and Mobile Auto Glass will not honor my apportionment and says they are booked months out. As a bonus, no other installer will put in a windshield they did not deliver. When I called today the person at Mobile Auto Glass told me that the installer had quit and refused to comeback because I was telling him how to do his job. Very unprofessional and completely fabricated line of BS.

Still sitting in the garage. FML.

I don't know if these guys can help for sure but Action Auto Glass on Mill St does good work. Lexus sends their jobs to them. I've used them for my LX470 and I'm pretty happy with them.

I don't know if these guys can help for sure but Action Auto Glass on Mill St does good work. Lexus sends their jobs to them. I've used them for my LX470 and I'm pretty happy with them.
Thanks. Called every shop that google offered up. One guy told me no because they are PITA but he recommend a guy who sent someone over immediately. The two of us tackled it and it’s in. Just finished actually. Could still use a little massaging on the inside. The precision gasket was a super tight fit.

033C58FF-E1BE-4056-BF3A-8D896A7662FD.jpeg

Hi FJ6T,

Can you hold my hand and help me find this glass? I'm in the middle of a paint job on my FJ62 and the glass you found is very close to OEM.

I bought the a new OEM rubber seal, but there's a big concern that my original chrome locking strip will crumble. Where did you find a seal with the chrome locking strip...or how did that work?

Thanks....

Hi FJ6T,

Can you hold my hand and help me find this glass? I'm in the middle of a paint job on my FJ62 and the glass you found is very close to OEM.

I bought the a new OEM rubber seal, but there's a big concern that my original chrome locking strip will crumble. Where did you find a seal with the chrome locking strip...or how did that work?

Thanks....
I didn't use the locking strip. I had a non locking strip gasket I bought from TLC4x4 a few years ago and have been waiting for right time to use it. Its made by precision gasket and I think you can get it from CityRacer or SOR. Most glass shops wont reuse the old gasket so keep that in mind. If you're set on using the OEM one, the only locking trim I know you can get is the rubber D shaped kind you get from WagonGear or Trail Tailor. I used it in the rear glass and it works great. I didn't look for chrome so I cant really comment on its availability.

For the front glass, I called these guys, Classic Auto Glass Oregon 541-579-0372 - https://autoglassics.com/ , and they ordered it for me but I'm pretty sure it came out of Texas or New Mexico. I'd call them and see if they can drop ship it to your body shop or a distributer your body shop works with.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks. @FJ6T I'll give Classic Auto Glass a call first thing on Monday morning. My painter mentioned that he knows of a window seal that comes with a faux chrome locking strip. I haven't seen it so I don't know if this is the way to go for those of us who aren't into the black-out thing. I know that's all the rage these days, so I might still wind up using the OEM rubber and the Trail Tailor black locking strip before this is finished. Thanks again for your help.

And for those in Arizona ... Diamond Auto Glass ( Auto Glass Company Flagstaff, AZ, and Nearby Areas | Diamond Auto Glass - https://thedifferenceisclear.com ) in Flagstaff was able to locate the TriVal glass (FW00425) in a uniform blue or bronze tint for my FJ62. Both Stewart and Jason were super helpful and confident about doing the install. Most places have the glass with the blue tint stripe at the top and the "clear" is a bit harder to find.

I had purchased a new OEM windshield gasket previously, but didn't realize that it's virtually impossible to re-use the old chrome locking gasket in new rubber. The backside of the chrome is a thin plastic and that's almost always destroyed when removing it from the original rubber.

Toyota still stocks the chrome locking strip replacement for the windshield and you can get all the pieces for $85 to $105, depending on your source. OEM rubber not included. The locking strip for the back quarter windows and the rear hatch are NLA apparently...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom