1HZ catch can or no catch can... That is the question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a catch can installed....but should I uninstall?

If the catch can a good idea on the 1HZ?

Does it create unnecessary pressure in the engine?

This is the flash lube catch can pro and a 1994 hzj75 with a non turbo 1hz.

20221126_160126.jpg

It’s a pointless addition to a NA engine without EGR.. just more engine bay clutter

Last edited:
If you don't have EGR, I wouldn't bother fitting one but from my limited experience the flashlube is a good unit. (What the provent 200 should have been...I guess this is a topic for a different discussion)

Hello,

Modern engines vent oil vapors to the intake duct, in order to incorporate them into the fuel/air mixture. It is one of the ways designers use to reduce emissions.

EGR systems recirculate exhaust gases into the intake duct to moderate combustion temperature and therefore prevent nitrogen oxide formation.

Some EGR systems may interfere with oil vapors venting into the intake duct. This is where a catch can may come in handy, collecting oil that otherwise cannot reach the combustion chamber.

If your 1HZ engine does not have emissions control equipment (including EGR) you can remove the catch can without problem.

Juan

My old 1hz does not have EGR or any other fancy stuff.. the Tobe from the valve cover just goes directly i to the air intake and sucks all the oil vapors directly into the engine.

My old 1hz does not have EGR or any other fancy stuff.. the Tobe from the valve cover just goes directly i to the air intake and sucks all the oil vapors directly into the engine.

Hello,

Good and simple, yet effective, crankcase ventilation. Like almost everything else on the 1HZ engine.

Juan

The older your rig gets the more worn it becomes and the more oil that will be vented from the case into the air intake. At some point one begins to wonder how much is too much?

The main reason for these is with egr, the oil would mix with the exhaust gas and create something nasty inside your intake manifold.

I'm putting one in when i turbo my 1hz to catch excess. Probably not necessary but i don't think having one will cause any negative effects.

the EGR creates all the gunk in the inlet plumbing.
with PCV the inlet plumbing stays clean with a light coating of oil, deposits can build up on the back of the inlet valves though, especially on city vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom