Headlight Relay (No High Beams) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having an issue with my 100 Series. It's a 2003 and I cannot use the high beams. When I flick the switch forward or back the high beams will not turn on and the blue indicator icon doesn't appear on the dash. In addition, if I flick the switch with my fog lights on it will turn them off. I've brought it into an independent shop and they think it's the relay; however, he is saying the relay is hard-wired into the fusebox and he cannot just replace the relay. He thinks I'm going to have to replace the whole fuse box. Does this sound correct? I know the 100 series is prone to having fuse box issues. Any help would be appreciated.

The fog lights always turn off with high beams (unless modified, procedure is somewhere around here). I don't know enough for the rest, but that part at least is expected behavior.

So check out this website.. Fuse Box for LC/LX. The engine compartment Fuse box has fuses for Left and Right High beams. on 16 & 17.
Unless the fuse box was burned out from the bottom or around the fuse box area. There should be no need to replace the whole fuse box.. but those connections needs to be checked.

1667930152097.png

1667930179038.png

(Fuse Position - Function - Fuse Amps - Function Detail)

So this may or may not be for the 2003 but check out that site and search for "high beams" and you should have that info.

ADDITIONALLY - just check the fuse box and it should have the map of the fuse box.

Last edited:
So check out this website.. Fuse Box for LC/LX. The engine compartment Fuse box has fuses for Left and Right High beams. on 16 & 17.
Unless the fuse box was burned out from the bottom or around the fuse box area. There should be no need to replace the whole fuse box.. but those connections needs to be checked.

View attachment 3162696

View attachment 3162698
(Fuse Position - Function - Fuse Amps - Function Detail)

So this may or may not be for the 2003 but check out that site and search for "high beams" and you should have that info.

ADDITIONALLY - just check the fuse box and it should have the map of the fuse box.
I checked the fuses and they are fine. Would replacing them still be worth a shot?

If you spend money and buy a new box I would like to buy your old one.

No one that I know of, or have read about has fixed problems related to the soldered relays in the box. (minus 1)

search, there is a lot of info in this forum.
A mechanic that blindly advises to replace the main box for 500+ is just lazy.

of course 20 people are going to say their new box fixed their issues, sooo, maybe you should buy a new one and sell me your old one.

this file probably matches 2003, headlights are in there.
(not so sure 2003 had LEDs in the combo meter)
I'd worry about the blue indicator after fixing the lights.

Attachments

• EWD.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
If you spend money and buy a new box I would like to buy your old one.

No one that I know of, or have read about has fixed problems related to the soldered relays in the box. (minus 1)

search, there is a lot of info in this forum.
A mechanic that blindly advises to replace the main box for 500+ is just lazy.

of course 20 people are going to say their new box fixed their issues, sooo, maybe you should buy a new one and sell me your old one.

this file probably matches 2003, headlights are in there.
(not so sure 2003 had LEDs in the combo meter)
I'd worry about the blue indicator after fixing the lights.
He's not blindly saying to replace it. He's gone through it with a power probe and has gotten the high beams to turn on. Something with that relay seems to be messed up. I may bring it to a Toyota dealership and have them check it out. If I end up replacing the fuse box I'll let you know.

I have never had the box apart on on one of these, but I have had good luck "rebuilding" relays via disassembling, cleaning and reassembling. In this case, the new fuse fox may be an answer, but if I had the choice, I'd fab a factory relay bypass with 15 dollars worth of solder, heat shrink, and wire, and add a $10 relay and call it good.

I'd do the same. To those who read this, be leery of the amazon cheapies you'd buy. They certainly won't be capable of 10 amps or so of halogen on a cold start switched on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom