Range and MPG info? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This isn’t my video but it shows a toyota fuel sending unit and how it operates

Another remote possibility is the pump/sender module isn’t sitting at the bottom of the tank.. when you look under there is the skid plate bent upward? Can you see the plastic tank material through the holes in the skid or is there a large gap?

That video describes my problem exactly. Gonna try the fuel sender first. Do the fuel pumps have a history of failure? Should I replace that as well while I'm in there?

I haven't heard about rampant fuel pump failures, but there was a recall on them at one point, for a certain range of vins. Might be worth checking to see if yours falls in that range.

I had a fuel pump ecu die on a '13 at around 100k miles. It manifested as cutting out and stalling.

I don't think fuel pumps are a preventative maintenance (although it is a personal pet peeve that they don't have a servicable external fuel filter.)

Nope, it's been doing it since we got it a little over a month ago. I'm the guy that always figures she's obviously doing something wrong (it's about 50/50, so there is some validity in my thoughts) but even I filled it once and it was at E and took a little over 15. I'm not sure how modern cars read the fuel level in a tank so it's confusing me.
This happens to me all the time. I fill up when my range is at 50-70 miles. My gauge says I'm on E or just a hair above and it only takes me somewhere between 15-16.5 gallons to fill up. It's been that way ever since I bought it in December of 2020. It's one of only a couple things that pisses my off about the vehicle.

I find it interesting how different we all are. Every vehicle I have owned has had a different accuracy of the fuel amount. Some go for about three quarters of the range on the dash and then drop like a rock, some do the opposite and hold the last quarter for half the range and some have the light come on with well over 40 miles of actual driving left. I have just taken up the habit of learning what the gauge is really saying. When the light comes on the dash and the range is zero I know that I should start looking for a pump. Then when I fuel up I note how much fuel I take on and do a rough calculation of the mileage that I have left. What the computer says is completely irrelevant to me. I make it my little game to guess how much fuel it is going to take to fill the truck every time I hit the pump and I’m usually within 5 litres. I think the closest I have come to filling the sticker capacity is within a gallon.
I guess my point is that what the ”computer” says is not something that is important to me.
And to be clear, I’m not suggesting that my way is the right way, merely that we are all different.

Just a thought. Anytime there is a problem that is electrically related first thing I do is cut the power and clean connections. Reattaching the cables after a few hours or even overnight and the year and make doesn't really matter. It's absolutely $ free to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom