2H oil pressure and water temperature holes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon,

I'm installing a mechanical water temperature and oil pressure gauge set in my '86 HJ60.

Are the two holes pictured below for oil pressure (circled in black) and water temperature (circled in blue)? This picture is looking at the engine from the right hand side of the engine bay.

20220501_163151_004 - Copy.jpg

I want to be really sure before putting more effort in to removing them. They're in there good, and it feels like they might strip if I apply more pressure. The bolts are currently getting a penetrating oil soak and set.

Thanks!
Phil

Updates already! The 8mm allen head bolt came off, it is indeed for water.

Where oh where can an oil port be found...

Last edited:
It turns out I was capable of figuring this one out without the Internet after all.

No less, I'll post the highlights here for the next guy to find. In the picture below, the oil and water ports are circled in red and blue respectively:

cruiser_oilandwater.jpg

To connect the Auto Meter 2392, a few adapters are required to fit it to the 2H (or at least this one).

The water hole on the block is 3/8" BSPT. The plug is removed with an 8mm hex socket, penetrating oil, and some time to let the penetrating oil work. A male 3/8" BSPT to female 3/8" NPT adapter is required if you want your threads to stay nice. You will also be draining all of your water, so plan accordingly.

The oil hole behind the factory oil pressure sensor is 1/8" BSPT. I found a tee fitting with BSPT threads straight through and 1/8" NPT threads on the side so I could keep the factory sensor and tee off the mechanical gauge. Peel off the rubber condom far enough to detach the wire from it. The whole pressure sensor spins off with a 14mm nut that's hiding on the stalk behind the sensor. Not the most convenient location but doable.

I hope this helps someone in the future!

Last edited:
Thanks Phil! Documenting modifications is always helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom