Alaska Cruiser Trek 2020? Discussion opportunity/chance for input as the decision time is approaching. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd be looking for 8-10 days of being remote. I'd love it for a few of the days in that span to be focused on hiking and perhaps being based out of a camp... let some people go wheeling, some people go explore on foot and take it all in, etc. I'm happy for rugged days of pushing ourselves and rigs hard... followed by breather days of enjoying fellowship and good eatin'.

I feel like treks back to town/highway would rob the overall "depth" of experience.

My family will be planning a month-long "family sabbatical" that would coincide with the trek... we'd be driving up and doing more in AK than just ACT. So yeah, the vehicle would need to survive and be ready to keep carrying us around and then back home.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the trek in 2010. It was great having a day to go fishing, a day up on the glacier, a half-day at the gold mine, and the last day cooking fish on the campfire.

But the really memorable parts were the water crossings and working our way through the mud. It would be great spending the day winching and working through the soft terrain. Also, my ‘60 isn’t sprung over, so I can’t fit much larger than 35s. I might trailer Super Swampers up to Alaska but I sold my trailer and would need to get another one.

I hope to have my son and/or girlfriend also come along. Both of them are hardy outdoors-people but neither of them have much experience driving off-road. We subsisted on MREs last time but I might actually cook this time around.

I just put an extended range fuel tank on my diesel, so the off-road range wasn’t and shouldn’t be a problem.

I would prefer to spend the entire time immersed in the wilderness. Hopping back on the road system kinda breaks the sense of a trek.

Last edited:
Agreed with being fully in the bush touring. I will have other opportunities in life for the otherwise-named extra-curricular activities.

Last edited:
Just a gentle ping to see if this could still be an option?

From my seat, yes. But... my biggest concern is that I do not even want to try to guess what might be going on with travel or border crossings. We can not assume that decisions will be rational or based on anything but political whim and decree.

I have always set the end of December as the latest point that I can make the call and put the word out that it will or will not happen. So, for now, I guess I will just keep watching as the calendar ticks off and make the call then? As of right now, if our rulers don't **** it up for us, then I am planning on putting an ACT2022 on the agenda.

Mark...

I am a few days late making the call. I have been struggling over it a little bit. But with the ongoing BS in terms of all the things that are affecting travel within and across international borders, the uncertain costs of fuel and whatnot and, to be honest the impact of these and other things on my ability to thoroughly prepare for and host the Trek in a manner that would ensure a safe and enjoyable event for everyone involved...

It just ain't gonna happen on 2022. :(

I doubt that the are a multitude of people who even care, but I know that a few of you have been keeping an eye on this thread with some interest.

Mark...

I doubt that the are a multitude of people who even care, but I know that a few of you have been keeping an eye on this thread with some interest.

Of course we care! I understand completely. Thank you for all your consideration and effort.

2023? 😊

Totally understand.

That being said, I just booked a ferry from Whittier to Seattle for Aug 8, 2022 for 2 cruisers and crew. That means we will be in southern Alaska for the couple weeks before that assuming the road through Canada is open in July. We will see what happens and would love to connect to talk cruisers or even catch a few trails together with anyone else that happens to be in the area.

Totally understand.

That being said, I just booked a ferry from Whittier to Seattle for Aug 8, 2022 for 2 cruisers and crew. That means we will be in southern Alaska for the couple weeks before that assuming the road through Canada is open in July. We will see what happens and would love to connect to talk cruisers or even catch a few trails together with anyone else that happens to be in the area.

If you are up here, reach out. Always up for some time on the trail if we can make our details match up. If nothing else, once you are here, in real time we can at least give some suggestions for things to do, places to see even if getting well off the road doe not turn out to be a thing.

Mark...

I am a few days late making the call. I have been struggling over it a little bit. But with the ongoing BS in terms of all the things that are affecting travel within and across international borders, the uncertain costs of fuel and whatnot and, to be honest the impact of these and other things on my ability to thoroughly prepare for and host the Trek in a manner that would ensure a safe and enjoyable event for everyone involved...

Mark...
Completely understandable and the wise thing to do. But bummed nonetheless. Life is what it is. Hope things can work out in the future.

If you are up here, reach out. Always up for some time on the trail if we can make our details match up. If nothing else, once you are here, in real time we can at least give some suggestions for things to do, places to see even if getting well off the road doe not turn out to be a thing.

Mark...
We certainly will. Lots of miles to cover and potential problems, but now that i’ve got the ferry locked down, we’ll do everything we can to get there with some time for exploring. Talk to you next summer. thanks eric

Totally understand.

This is my exact plan for when we travel to AK. It doesn't seem to be in the cards until roughly 2024 but nontheless I plan to ferry and bypass Canada.

The last time I looked into the ferries, it was significantly more to ferry all the way to Anchorage. And the scheduling was very limited. It was much cheaper (and more interesting imo) to ferry to and drive out of Haines or Skagway.

The Alaska Ferry system exists primarily to serve the coastal/non-road system communities up here. It has never been funded as much as it needs to be and changes in funding year to year and ships wearing out or needing major maintenance are a constant consideration too. The connections all the way to the '48 are rather secondary to the planning and funding guys. And places that can be reached by the road system are served simply to connect the other served communities to the road system. So, yeah, things can change between now and then.

A connection to Haines or Skagway is easier to schedule (more sailing dates) and cheaper too. Don't forget that both of those will still require you to travel through Canada. But both also offer a really nice trip. :)

Mark...

Thanks for posting all this. Very interested and I’ll be following. Was hoping to make Alaska 2022 and bypass Canada by ferry. Good info!

The Alaska Ferry system exists primarily to serve the coastal/non-road system communities up here. It has never been funded as much as it needs to be and changes in funding year to year and ships wearing out or needing major maintenance are a constant consideration too. The connections all the way to the '48 are rather secondary to the planning and funding guys. And places that can be reached by the road system are served simply to connect the other served communities to the road system. So, yeah, things can change between now and then.

A connection to Haines or Skagway is easier to schedule (more sailing dates) and cheaper too. Don't forget that both of those will still require you to travel through Canada. But both also offer a really nice trip. :)

Mark...
I am def a beginner and early in my planning stage, but my plan was to take the ferry due to the border restrictions in place currently. I honestly don't know if taking the ferry or driving through Canada(assuming its open when I take the trip) is more financially sound. It seems it will be an 8 day ferry ride, or a few days driving through Canada. Any thoughts and/or guidance on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom