GROM Audio Auxiliary Installion w/pics & Keyless Entry programming (2001 LC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 2001 LC about a month ago. I wanted to share a bit of what I had been up to.

First step was new tires. I got some 285/75r16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. They've been great so far.

upload_2018-11-17_19-40-6.jpeg

upload_2018-11-17_19-39-43.jpeg

It didn't come with a keyless entry remote and like others I wasn't thrilled about spending $300 bucks at a dealership to do it. I ended up getting a key for $25.99 and got it cut for $4.00. Using the remote reprogramming steps in the FAQ for 100 series worked well to get it recognized as a master key, and this video: ( ) really helped to get the steps right to get the keyless entry part working.

I also had been looking to be able to play some music in the LC. I looked at a few of the different options and decided on the GROM Auxiliary Unit. Link here: Compare GROM Car Audio Integration Kits ) Anyways I hadn't seen a write up on any of the GROM audio units and was really impressed with how mine turned out. I took a few pics to help anybody who was looking to do it or who was on the fence about it. It was really easy. Took maybe an hour. Sound quality is good, really have noticed no issues.

My LandCruiser is a 2001 with factory navigation & center console 6 disk DVD/CD changer. I wanted to be able to retain use of my CD/DVD changer, and I was very impressed that I was able to do so. I can play music from my phone, and still play some CD's if I am feeling nostalgic.

Anyways here are some pics of the process:

Peeled the trim off the nav unit.
upload_2018-11-17_19-43-28.jpeg

There are only 4 bolts to remove the head unit after you pull the trim off.

Once it is removed you unplug the second harness from the right on the bottom & back of the head unit. The GROM unit comes with a pigtail, one end you plug into the head and one harness that plugs into the stock harness you just pulled out.
upload_2018-11-17_19-47-6.jpeg

A closer view
upload_2018-11-17_19-38-59.jpeg

upload_2018-11-17_19-51-59.jpeg

Here you can see the grom aux port hanging out on the bottom right of the screen. I just popped the trim covering the lower 12v/coin holder to attach the aux port.

For temporary purposes I wanted it to be clean looking and didn’t want an aux unit/cord hanging out randomly. I ran an aux chord through a hole in the coin drawer and plugged it into the aux port. Once it was all put back together I ended up with an aux chord I could coil and leave in the coin drawer when it wasn’t in use, keeping it as zen as possible in the LC.

upload_2018-11-17_19-57-31.jpeg

And that’s it! It plays music on Disc 1. However, you can still play cds/dvds on disc 1 by clicking the disc button. Pretty happy with how it turned out and would recommend.

I’m planning on making a more permanent aux port by removing one of the unworking 12v ports and mounting the auxiliary port in its place. I’ll post pics when it’s updated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom