Rocker Arm shaft assembly install issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to install the rocker arm shaft assembly on my '73 F engine and can't get it to fit flush on the head. What's the trick to get this to slide down into place without forcing it? I've tried moving it back and forth, tried separating it to see if one half was binding up, and used a light tap with a rubber mallet, but I've still got about a 1/2" gap between the assembly and the head (see where the red sharpie is pointing in attached pic.) I was able to remove it by leaving the valve cover studs in, so I wouldn't think they need to be taken out first.

rocker arm 2.jpg

rocker arm 1.jpg

Rotate the rocker shaft so that the clearance areas of the rocker shaft line up with the rocker shaft studs....

You will also need to back off your rocker arm jamb nuts and adjusting screws.

Don't forget, as you fix the rocker arm assembly in place, there will be some resistance because you are overcoming valve spring pressure and opening some valves... apart from that, it should fit straight on....

Note that it's not dropping into place (not even close.) If you look at first pic, you can see that the rocker arms aren't contacting the push rods or top of valve spring. I expect some resistance there, but it should definitely drop in closer to the head.

Finally figured out my issue with some help...needed to rotate the rocker shaft from the end and KEEP rotating it enough it until it drops into place. I wasn't rotating it enough to line everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom