Slow leak through seam in moon roof under heavy rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a small leak that only happens in heavy rain through the pictured seam:
2a9c833a88.jpg

What are my steps for fixing it? How big of a problem is it likely to be? :x

I had the same issue. I could actually see the slightest gap / daylight in that seal. I siliconed it from the inside and outside. It’s holding up well. I was lucky and caught it right as it began to do this so there wasn’t any damage. Hope yours is the same!

Some one just did a repair, by slicing a loop out of a 26" bicycle tube, and running it around the perimeter of the glass, right underneath the seal that is still attached to the glass. Said it worked great. Didn't have to glue it or remove original seal.

I had the same issue. I could actually see the slightest gap / daylight in that seal. I siliconed it from the inside and outside. It’s holding up well. I was lucky and caught it right as it began to do this so there wasn’t any damage. Hope yours is the same!
Do you have pics of where you put the silicone?

Your finger in the picture is pointing at a seam - where the sunroof seal comes together. From my reading, that seam has a tendency to separate over time. Lay a flashlight on top of the sunroof pointed down at that seam. Get inside and look at the seam. I bet you’ll be able to see the light shining in. There’s your leak. Squirt silicone into the gap where the seal is no longer making solid contact.
Do you have pics of where you put the silicone?

I thought I read here on Mud that squirting silicone, like all-purpose silicone for a home repair application, was a bad idea around a leaking windshield. I think the reasoning was something about silicone not playing nicely with painted metal, and that it eventually resulted in more rust around the leaking area...

@RiverRatMatt I have the same issue intermittently. Open the sunroof and wipe down the metal (yes, metal) surface of the roof that the sunroof seal presses against. It can get dirty and not promote the best seal. Then, tilt up the sunroof and clean the rubber seal in the same area. You can wipe the seal with some rubber conditioner or nose grease to make it soft again and promote better sealing.

I replaced the whole glass seal last year and still have this problem sometimes.

Does you sunroof open?

Mine does open.
@RiverRatMatt I have the same issue intermittently. Open the sunroof and wipe down the metal (yes, metal) surface of the roof that the sunroof seal presses against. It can get dirty and not promote the best seal. Then, tilt up the sunroof and clean the rubber seal in the same area. You can wipe the seal with some rubber conditioner or nose grease to make it soft again and promote better sealing.

I replaced the whole glass seal last year and still have this problem sometimes.

Does you sunroof open?

Does you sunroof open?
Thank you, I'll do that first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom