Anyone regret buying a high mileage GX470? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone regrets buying a 200k plus GX470

I do have an extra car for when the GX has to go to the shop.

Last edited:
I want to point out your logic flaw. I had a vw golf, (NOT HIGH MILEAGE) it was acting a slightly weird asked mechainic to look at it when I took it in for an oil change, was told the tsp valve was sticking try a flush but probably needs a transmission rebuild... the flush didnt work, had to get rebuilt. Later a similar thing happened, every so often it wouldnt shift out of 3rd, could not find anything on the internet telling me what it could be but learned how to reset the electronic transmission controller it happened the day before an oil change so it tought I would ask turns out a jelly bean solenoid failed (he never saw anything like it before) this valve would keep the transmission from moving oil and lubing the gears, so I had to leave it for a couple of days until they got the part.

At this point you are saying cool story bro whats the point? All of these things happened to a sub 100k car from a model that is known for great reliability. No matter how well maintained, no matter the mileage, cars just randomly break and can leave you with out a car for a while. it is just one of those things when owning a car.

That said my in-laws only drive toyotas/lexuses(what is the plural of lexus?) and have for many years their 200k cars are find the one they bought a year ago new just spazzed out on the highway at speed (all lights on and engine cut out) and it took a week for the dealership to even find the problem then another to get the parts to fix it.

My advice really is buy the nicest car you can afford if that is a 200k, ok... if you can get one with 130k with the tb service, than do that. Get a PPI from the best place you can (this may be the dealership it might be an indy) Go to the club house section of the forum find a local group and ask there.

So far I dont regret buying mine with 180K but I have only had it for a month sooooo time will tell.

These 2UZ platforms are solid. My daily driven 100 series had 415k miles. As long as regular maintenance is upkept, it shouldnt be an issue. I'm rounding off 187k on my GX.

These 2UZ platforms are solid. My daily driven 100 series had 415k miles. As long as regular maintenance is upkept, it shouldnt be an issue. I'm rounding off 187k on my GX.

Wow. Your 100 went 415K? Do you still have it?

Different platforms but similar reputation - my tacoma was at 325k when hail sent it to auction, my 3rd gen 4runner at 270k when I sold it. I replaced that with a 180k gx470 - all the shops I've talked to speak very highly of the platform (loaner cars, tundras used for deliveries, ect. they rack up the miles). It can be hard to ignore the numbers on the dash but I suspect weather, rust, or another driver will send my GX to the grave before a major mechanical failure.

I'm not sure regret is the right word but I'm disappointed in the quality of materials used on the dash, weatherstripping, and paint. Needs more TLC than usual and some repainting. Not the usual Toyota quality....other than that, I love my Prado.

Wow. Your 100 went 415K? Do you still have it?

I just sold it to get my GX, and the next buyer is still driving it and offroading it with no issues.

They have a 4.7 V-8. Check out the reliability of the engine. I have been told by more than one Toyota Mechanic this may be the all time most reliable engine Yota has ever built. That is why we have one in the driveway.
:bounce:
Gman

I bought a very well maintained 06 with 180K in 2019. The GX still feels like my favorite pair of jeans - totally dependable, extremely comfortable, and a little faded but still almost perfect for any occasion. Mine didn't need much work until 250K, but I have spent the cash from 250K to 280K - cv axles, wheel bearings, radiator, one exhaust manifold, shocks, 3rd timing belt, etc. That said, there still isn't another vehicle that I want bad enough to spend the money on.

I also second the recommendation for spending more on a lower mileage vehicle if you can. A high mileage GX could be great if you do your own maintenance and/or keep it around 15K per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom