LX470 -36mm nut frozen on all 4 accumulators. Replacing accumulators. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PB Blasted 3 times since yesterday. Using a rented 36mm fan clutch wrench.

Local mechanics are useless around here. Anyone have a mechanic they can recommend in the S.F. East Bay?

Anybody else have trouble with this nut? Solutions?

Machine shop?

Thanks for any help?

Already put in King Springs. Huge improvement.

Strap wrench worked for me. Clean the globes with acetone or something to remove oil and grime. Slip on the strap wrench and go at it.

I had a similar problem as you. I got 2 off with a "rented" fan clutch wrench, it bent too much... To get the last 2 off, borrowed/used a real 36mm grinded thin wrench and cheater bar. I borrowed those from a real mechanic.

It was a challenge getting the globes to move on mine too. The first cheap stamped fan tool was stretched and bigger than 36 and kept slipping. Got another wrench from different NAPA that was nice and tight. That and soak time with PB made the difference.

I tried a strap wrench but didn't have any luck with it myself. Would be willing to grind down a real wrench next time if only for the leverage.

hammer and chisel - if you are replacing the globes anyway and don't plan to reinstall them, then take a sharp chisel to the wide part of the globe and use this to turn them in a counter-clockwise direction (loosen). A couple of good blows and they will loosen enough to turn by hand.
Use the wrench to tighten them however.

Make sure ALL pressure is bled off through the bleeder nipple before removing the globe. I didn't, and on the last turn the globe blew off like a missile and just missed crushing my hand- it blew fluid 30 feet across the garage...

I had to get pretty manly with one of mine also..... using my boot and pushing off manly... but it gave. +2 on making sure there is no trapped pressure, I left the zerks open during.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom