2004 LC – Cost of Ownership After 10 Years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just reached the 10 year mark with my 2004 LC (purchased used in March of 2007), and wanted to share my experience on total cost of ownership. I’ll focus only on depreciation, maintenance, and repairs. I’ve kept it bone stock, with the exception of replacing the crap OEM speakers, and it’s in excellent condition (body in great shape, near perfect leather, etc. – put $1,600 into a body “clean-up” around 5 years ago to address accumulated pin stripes, dings, etc). Also, I replaced the original tires with OEM Bridgestone Duelers (before I discovered MUD), but soon realized those were crap, and went to Michelin MS and then Michelin AT2s.

Here are the basics, with all maintenance performed by ToyOnly in Atlanta or World Toyota in Atlanta (only when absolutely necessary due to scheduling, etc.), as I don’t have the tools, time, or ability to do much of anything myself:

Purchase Price = $35,000

Current Value = $10,000 (reasonable minds may differ, but an easy number)

Miles at Purchase = 43,992

Current Miles = 220,311 (17,600 per year)

Total Repairs & Maintenance = $20,462 ($2,046 per year)

Total Repairs, Maintenance & Depreciation = $45,462 ($4,546 per year)

Other than the body work referenced in the intro, includes 2 windshields; 3 timing belts with the first at 60,000, second at 120,000, and third at 210,000; new radiator at 220,000; valve cover gaskets and power steering pump at 218,000, front brake rotors at 215,000; heater hose Ts at 205,000 when they failed (no lectures, please); new gas cap at 200,000; hood struts at 150,000; and new key and transponder at 132,000 (yeah, I know – recently purchased YotaMD keys and very pleased).

I recently considered purchasing a used 200 series or a new 4Runner and giving my LC to my 16 year old, but just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger. My LC still runs like a champ, looks great, and while I like the new 4Runner, I can’t live without my v8, and need my 3rd row with 3 kids. As for the 200 series, I’d love to have one, but I’m very pleased with the 100, it’s obviously paid for, and I just don’t see the need to spend the additional money. Besides, keeping it is my way of thumbing my nose at our consumer obsessed culture!

On my 2005 I haven't done the timing belt yet (118K miles) but I will soon. The only things I've repaired is the rear hatch struts and one ignition coil pack.

Oh, and a door lock actuator motor. I need to replace another now.

Very informative post. Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree keeping this 100 is the right move. Moving to the 200 will be a $30K at a minimum for a decent shape and low miles truck. However, do the full math and if you have to get your 16 year old a vehicle and if you end up spending in the $20K to $30K anyways then why not give them the 100 in that case and you move to a 200?

And just wondering why did you replace the timing belt at 60K intervals? Doesn't the manual call for 90K interval?

Great report. A retired police panther for peanuts could be considered for the 16 y.o. as well: cheap, safe, unattractive :)

Very informative post. Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree keeping this 100 is the right move. Moving to the 200 will be a $30K at a minimum for a decent shape and low miles truck. However, do the full math and if you have to get your 16 year old a vehicle and if you end up spending in the $20K to $30K anyways then why not give them the 100 in that case and you move to a 200?

And just wondering why did you replace the timing belt at 60K intervals? Doesn't the manual call for 90K interval?

My 16 yo (as much as I love him) was lucky to get the beater Tacoma he's driving. Maybe the knucklehead will strive and earn an LC some day ... ; )

In re the TB at 60k, my mech at ToyOnly recommended it, so I went with it. Obviously, that was before I discovered MUD!

I paid $9600 for my 2000 LX 470, it had 176,000 miles on it. it came with a set of new 265/75R/KOs and a $3000 90 day/warranty repair credit which I used all of to have Slee replace the broken AHC with an OME 1.5" medium lift kit, including UCAs and diff drop. Other than the $1500 I paid for my BIOR sliders and full set of skid plates I put on the second year, over the past three years maintenance, repairs and minor upgrades have averaged about $1500 per year. I have 206,000 miles on my hundy now. Pretty damn happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom