Stereo question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was debating on installing an old subwoofer and amp in my 100 series, but had a question. I have both an old fosgate punch 40x2 and an mtx 2160 amplifier laying around. I also have 2 mtx thunder 5000 12 inch speakers. I was debating on just installing one of them, but it's an 8 ohm speaker. Would it even be worth installing one? Would the amp be able to drive one to sound decent?. I don't want to lose much cargo space, so I'm really on the fence if it's even worth it. Thanks for any advice!

. Fyi I did buy some jbl 602 for the doors, any my thought was to run those off of my head unit which is a pioneer 2300nex.

Gotta love the old school gear.

I vote the 2160, I believe it has more rated power and is a little newer model? I would also try it with just one sub, 2 will take up a ton of room. 8 ohm is not ideal, but if it is not loud enough or doesn't sound good due to lack of power, you could save up for a single 4 ohm and buy when you can.

I believe the model number comes from it being rated 2x80watts=160

Lets say bridged to one channel at 4ohms is 160 watts and using an 8ohm sub cuts that in half.... 80 watts to a sub. not horrible.

The below website has much more favorable math at 8ohms, but I can't verify how accurate it is.

CAR STEREO REVIEW MTX Thunder 2160 Test Report JULY/AUGUST 1995

I have a single mtx 10" 6000 or 6500 model that is 10 years old running off 1/2 an antique alpine 4 ch amp and I love it. It will not die. I will upgrade to a JL sub at some point.

Unless you're feeling nostalgic about those speakers, you could probably sell them both and pick up a single 8" that could be built into the back panel to save space.

Looks like a nice head unit. Ditto what @ogsuv said about the amp. It'll work, but if you're really looking for bass, you'll probably want a little more down the road. Smoke 'em if you got 'em, though. Throw the MTX gear in there, bridge the amp, build a small, sealed box with some poly-fill inside, and you'll probably never hate it enough to change anything out.

I have an MTX single 12” with 150w channel and it is more than enough. I could see using 2 12’s if behind a car seat. See build thread for amp model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom