Drive shafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I convert from a 3 spd to a 4 spd transmission, and shorten and lengthen the rear and front driveshafts, respectively, and then go from a 2F to a 350, will I have to modify the driveshafts again?

Or should I just do both conversions at the same time?

And, I do NOT want an automatic transmission.

Depends on the location transfer. Four speed moves it back while generally V8 conversion move forward. Marks out of Australia makes or made a adapter that would keep the transmission and transfer case in the same location. So many options it's really a question with one answer.

You almost always have to adjust driveshaft lengths. In every case, that is the LEAST difficult part of the conversion. Not something I would worry about at all. Let your driveshaft shop worry about that. Here in Norcal it's about $125 per shaft. So likely the least expensive part of your project.

As other have said... yes, mods to driveshafts twice. Or do them at the same time and save $250-500.

Are you sure you want to go 350? If so, to do it over, I'd use a NV4500, a Nonstock transfer, and a centered rear diff.

Or a diesel and go a whole different direction :D

You almost always have to adjust driveshaft lengths. In every case, that is the LEAST difficult part of the conversion. Not something I would worry about at all. Let your driveshaft shop worry about that. Here in Norcal it's about $125 per shaft. So likely the least expensive part of your project.

I agree that driveshafts should be the least of your concerns... a large number of conversions are butchered because someone doesn't want to have a shaft modified.

FYI, it's much easier (thus cheaper) to shorten a driveshaft than lengthen one. I had two front shafts for about $40/each.

Yep, like everyone else said, drive shaft cost is the least of your worries. Just don't try to save a few bucks later by letting drive shaft lengths dictate engine placement if you put an SBC in later.

Although the driveshafts will be the least expensive part of the conversion, take care not to go cheap, the driveshafts are to important!

As other have said... yes, mods to driveshafts twice. Or do them at the same time and save $250-500.

Are you sure you want to go 350? If so, to do it over, I'd use a NV4500, a Nonstock transfer, and a centered rear diff.

Or a diesel and go a whole different direction :D
I agree that the driveshafts are the least of my worries. Just didn't want to have to do them twice. However, as to the 350, I don't really care what engine it is, I just need pulling power. I am tired of having to drop down to 2nd gear will pulling my camper over some of the steep passes. My 2F is a beast and I love it. But it is not designed for that.

Ran into a guy the other day who has a 283 in his 70 cruiser. I've even thought about the 4.7 out of a Tundra. It's just that there is a lot of stuff out there pre-fabbed for the 350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom