New Tacos/2015-prior Tacos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hola... I'm kicking around purchasing either a new or slightly used 16-17 Taco 4-door automatic, possibly a TRD Off Road if the price is right.

I've seen a lot of chatter where people aren't very happy with the new ones. I've seen that the motors feel underpowered coupled to the automatic trans, problems with the cruise control, and overall vibration from the driveline and steering column.

My uses for a truck are pretty straightforward. I'm a part time realtor, so something with good gas mileage is a plus (current 2009 Tundra is pretty bad on gas). I tow a small boat in the summer, do a lot of interstate travel, but overall I need a daily that I can hit up old mining trails around the Mountain West states at elevation every once in awhile.

I used to own an FJ Cruiser with the 4.0. Besides being a little underpowered after I lifted it, it was a solid rig. I haven't test driven the new Taco yet, mostly because the weather has been bad and I'd like to be able to run it up to at least 80mph on the interstate before I buy anything.

There are still plenty of low-mileage (under 30k) Tacos from 2015 and before in my area for sale. Does anyone have anything to chime in about in regards to the new vs. old? Thanks!

If you had an FJ Cruiser with the 4.0 V6, then you have a pretty good idea about the power you'll get. I don't think it's underpowered at all - especially compared to past Toyota truck motors. But if you want power, stick with the V8. If you want some economy, then maybe the V6 will give you a bit (but not that much)

I daily drive stock 2015 Tacoma, 4.0 V6, 6-speed manual, mostly highway/rural driving. I typically average 17 to 19 mpg. The heaviest towing I do with it is a 14' utility trailer with a couple of dirt bikes which it handles pretty well, but it's a far cry from a V8. My Tacoma is till fairly new, low mileage, so no issues of any sort; it has been in my experience a stereo typical dependable, solid Toyota. As Jacket stated, the 15 and older V6 Tacomas will drive pretty similar to your FJ Cruiser.

My 2009 Tacoma (Double Cab, Short Bed, 4.0 auto) gets around 15mpg in the city and 18 at best on the highway. I do have 265//75r16 tires (~32"), but it didn't get much better with the factory size. I find the power to be more than enough for daily driving and off road driving. I've hauled 1000+lbs of landscaping materials a many times (upgraded leaf springs though) and towed a U-Haul box trailer a couple times with no problems. If you don't mind the antiquated interior of the 2nd gen ('05-'15), I'd go with one of those over a 3rd gen.

Regarding the 3rd gen Tacomas; I'm fairly active on TacomaWorld and there are many folks having issues with the new trucks. Here are a few of the more common issues I read about.
- 3.5l motor that makes all of its power in high RPM range
- Automatic transmission constantly hunting for gears (TSB 195319 - some say it's fixed, some say it's not)
- Automatic transmission fluid and diff fluids low from the factory
- Manual transmissions sticking in gear after prolonged use (TSB 195309)
- Whistling LCAs caused by air moving over drain holes (TSB 194928)
- Rear diff issues causing grinding and howling noises and even completely locking up on the highway (some owners have had one or more replaced under warranty)
- Hood adhesive not properly bonded from factory
- Crank shaft positioning sensor failure
- Oil pan not picking up oil on steep grades (off road)
- Drive line vibrations (this was a 2nd gen issue as well)

To be fair, there are many people who report zero issues with their 3rd gens and those reporting problems are only representative of a small percentage of actual 3rd gen Tacoma owners.

Before I ordered my 17 6 speed TRD offroad I test drove several of the automatics and the taller 3.9 rear end (the manual comes with 4.3s) and the taller auto gears didn't seem like a good match for the 3.5L. With the manual, the truck seems just fine.

One important thing to mention: In my area there are NO DEALS on mid-sized trucks, dealers are not budging on the price, because of this I could have gotten a similarly equipped Tundra for $500-$1000 more! This is going to be my overland truck and I wanted a mid-sized truck, so I stuck with the Taco.

If you had an FJ Cruiser with the 4.0 V6, then you have a pretty good idea about the power you'll get. I don't think it's underpowered at all - especially compared to past Toyota truck motors. But if you want power, stick with the V8. If you want some economy, then maybe the V6 will give you a bit (but not that much)

Agree somewhat with Jacket. IMO my loaded 2013 is underpowered its also on 33's stock gearing and loaded down. I drive it daily and my offroad equipment and gear stay loaded in it all the time. It doesn't get better mpg than a Tundra would because I constantly have to keep my foot in it to keep the momentum going. Towing a small trailer loaded is a chore but with that said it fits my needs easy to get around in and park, nimble and capable on the trails, its our current overland explorer and part time MTN goat and does a great job. I have a 3/4 Ton Dodge diesel for my heavy loads and hauling needs and though that truck is awesome for what I use it for its not a good daily driver and a waste if it would be. If I had to consolidate down to one I'd go with the Tundra no question.

Agree somewhat with Jacket. IMO my loaded 2013 is underpowered its also on 33's stock gearing and loaded down. I drive it daily and my offroad equipment and gear stay loaded in it all the time. It doesn't get better mpg than a Tundra would because I constantly have to keep my foot in it to keep the momentum going. Towing a small trailer loaded is a chore but with that said it fits my needs easy to get around in and park, nimble and capable on the trails, its our current overland explorer and part time MTN goat and does a great job. I have a 3/4 Ton Dodge diesel for my heavy loads and hauling needs and though that truck is awesome for what I use it for its not a good daily driver and a waste if it would be. If I had to consolidate down to one I'd go with the Tundra no question.

I guess it's somewhat relative. Compared to a 3/4 ton, it's surely underpowered, especially when you go with 33's and load it up. But compared to my 96 Cruiser, I miss having the modern 4.0 V6 for pulling up the mountain passes with relative easy. I'm running my 80 in 2nd gear at close to 5k RPM just to hold highway speed.

Stuck in this dilemma as well. Getting either a Taco or Tundra. Love the 5.7 and love the economy and smaller profile of the Taco. Decisions decisions.

Before I purchased my Taco, I drove a 14 FJ, both the TT version and base. (I have always liked the styling of the FJs (older and newer). Someday I will buy one. For me I had some small utility needs which outweighed the FJ. :(

I have a 2015 Taco dual cab short bed (DCSB) Off-Road. I think both of the quotes above sum it up pretty well. As to gas mileage I average 16. I have gotten 12 to 14 towing light loads or with a load in the bed. I have had as high as 20mpg but I babied it for a tank and did my best to keep RPM under 2k, I never used cruise and typically used freeway (at 65-68). I noticed I didn't mind so much but you may notice other people around you are typically in a greater hurry and like to point to the sky when they pass. ;)

All that to say, I love the versatility, hauling (light), towing (light), fair mileage for a truck, off-road capable, and space for two adults in the front and teens in the back. (it gets crowded in the back with large adults). There is also a huge aftermarket on the Gen2 Tacoma so you can customize it to your likin/needs fairly reasonably (as far as modification pricing goes) In all I really like the Taco.

--JB

While I always consider features and performance when planning a vehicle purchase, how the vehicle looks also plays a large role.
When it comes to Tacoma's, the "looks good award" goes to the first generation. I looked for a first generation but couldn't find one that wasn't high mileage.
Next would be the second generation. I own a 2014 (4 door, 4WD, 6cyl) and by all measures it's a very capable truck.
For me the last choice would be the current Tacoma. Even though I tried, I just can't like the looks, especially the front end.

I just bought a 2017 TRD off road with the 4 doors and the short bed. I totally love the truck, but when I drive on the highway, I completely hate it!!!!!!! I have had it for 2 weeks and have spent 1 week trying to trade it in. It fells like the gearing is all wrong and it wants to get into 5th and 6th gears but it just cant stay in them for long at all. It loves 3500 RPM on at 78 mph, thats its favorite rev. Unless its flat or down hill, it will be in 4th gear, or even worse, it will be going back and forth from 4th to 5th to 6th and back to 4th, constantly. I bought it to tow my 3500 lb boat and my 2800 lb Colman E3 tent trailer. If its acting like this empty, with no trailer then what the hell is it going to do with a trailer on the back??? I have the most recent software update for the transmission too. Very disappointed. I wonder what it will drive like at a lower elevation? I live at 7000 ft and its rolling hills. It will be much better for sure but Im curios how much better.

I just bought a 2017 TRD off road with the 4 doors and the short bed. I totally love the truck, but when I drive on the highway, I completely hate it!!!!!!! I have had it for 2 weeks and have spent 1 week trying to trade it in. It fells like the gearing is all wrong and it wants to get into 5th and 6th gears but it just cant stay in them for long at all. It loves 3500 RPM on at 78 mph, thats its favorite rev. Unless its flat or down hill, it will be in 4th gear, or even worse, it will be going back and forth from 4th to 5th to 6th and back to 4th, constantly. I bought it to tow my 3500 lb boat and my 2800 lb Colman E3 tent trailer. If its acting like this empty, with no trailer then what the hell is it going to do with a trailer on the back??? I have the most recent software update for the transmission too. Very disappointed. I wonder what it will drive like at a lower elevation? I live at 7000 ft and its rolling hills. It will be much better for sure but Im curios how much better.

Sorry to hear. Its a coincidence I read this my Dad and I were discussing the same issue yesterday when he drove in from TN. He has a 16 model 4DR TRD Offroad Sport and lives in MTNs of East Tennessee 5 - 6 FT and is having the same transmission issues downshifting and causing lower fuel mileage empty. Thanks for the headsup on the transmission update we're gonna take it in and get his updated. He ordered his because he wanted the long bed when it came out and took delivery mid 2016 and I'd bet he has an older version software. It may not fix his issues but may make them better its worth a shot. He also has a 1st gen Tundra he drove for 14 years and retired it to farm truck duties with 300K on the ODO and it still runs like a top. He is now second guessing his decision on the Taco and not spending a few grand more on the Tundra. He's not getting the better mpg's he expected, he's ran into cargo room issues now and then and now the transmission issues. He's retired and since he'll likely have this truck or other another 10 - 15 years I told him to go get the Tundra and be done. Personally I never buy 1st year models because there will be bugs to work out but he's had luck with 2 other 1st year models in the past with the Tundra and Sequoia but maybe thats come to an end.

My 13, His 16
20160508_142948-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear. Its a coincidence I read this my Dad and I were discussing the same issue yesterday when he drove in from TN. He has a 16 model 4DR TRD Offroad Sport and lives in MTNs of East Tennessee 5 - 6 FT and is having the same transmission issues downshifting and causing lower fuel mileage empty. Thanks for the headsup on the transmission update we're gonna take it in and get his updated. He ordered his because he wanted the long bed when it came out and took delivery mid 2016 and I'd bet he has an older version software. It may not fix his issues but may make them better its worth a shot. He also has a 1st gen Tundra he drove for 14 years and retired it to farm truck duties with 300K on the ODO and it still runs like a top. He is now second guessing his decision on the Taco and not spending a few grand more on the Tundra. He's not getting the better mpg's he expected, he's ran into cargo room issues now and then and now the transmission issues. He's retired and since he'll likely have this truck or other another 10 - 15 years I told him to go get the Tundra and be done. Personally I never buy 1st year models because there will be bugs to work out but he's had luck with 2 other 1st year models in the past with the Tundra and Sequoia but maybe thats come to an end.

My 13, His 16
View attachment 1416448
I traded a 13 Tundra for this Tacoma, mistake. The 2016 Tacoma has had TONS of transmission issues, they have supposedly fixed then on the 2017 Tacoma. My first tank I had 21 MPG driving rolling hills on highway and around town. This tank is less mpg because I have been using the ECT power button which helps with power. You need to get the updates for sure if you have a 16, it should really make a difference, and there are more updates for the 16 than what I got. The update with mine wasnt that big of a difference because I already have the newer transmission. Im hoping to trade it in today for a 17 Tundra. I drove a manual Tacoma 2017 and it was really nice and powerful. I should have bought one but they are hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom