Taco Newbie Tire size question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Cruiser guy here stopping in for some advise for my fathers 2010 double cab. I put about a 2.5 inch lift on it for him a while back. His tires are shot and just look silly with the lift. Dad is older in age and I am going for a good AT for him as he still gets into the woods and drives year round in Vermont. Tire size is my question... he has 245/75/16 on there now. I am thinking a little taller and a little wider, 285x75x16 I think will be a little too wide for the wheel wells... Open to suggestions. Pic of his truck for eye candy.. Photo taken on an incline, so hard to see the lift.

IMG_9392.jpg

The generally accepted largest size that won't rub at all for 16" rims (and without additional modifications) is 265/75R16, but you likely could go a little bigger than that and have a reasonably small amount of rubbing that won't be noticed.

As you are probably already aware (but is worth mentioning), the max size of a tire that won't rub does not change with a different lift size, since the wheels still have to travel through the same arc when the suspension articulates. So while someone might never get rubbing for a much larger tire when they only drive on pavement, for someone else who drives off pavement (like your father in the woods) they need to keep the tire size in check since he'll likely be articulating the suspension much more.

I just installed a bilstein 5100 kit with ome coils on my 2020 trd off road.the lift i used only gave me about 1.5 inch lift. I also installed a set of stealth custom 16 inch wheels with a 12 mm negative offset. tires are 285-75-16. yes they do rub a little when at full crank. but just normal driving no issue. still need to finish my rear with 5100s and a add aleaf. but no rub in back.

x2 on 265/75/16. Also keep in mind that your dad, if he is elderly, will have a harder time getting in and out of a super tall truck. 265's would look good and not hinder the performance too much. The Falken AT3's are great AT tires and handle well on road too.

x2 on 265/75/16. Also keep in mind that your dad, if he is elderly, will have a harder time getting in and out of a super tall truck. 265's would look good and not hinder the performance too much. The Falken AT3's are great AT tires and handle well on road too.
Yeah, I was thinking the same about the height. He still gets around pretty well, but want to plan ahead. Im looking into some decent side bars too. Not sliders, but more of a step bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom