3FE 90 Amp upgrade, round 1 failed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
3FE 90 Amp upgrade, round 2, son of a

So I have the $21.07 bracket from the dealer, this bracket is for the 90 amp alternator, and the part number is 16381-61060. As you can see from the first pictures, the bracket is slightly different from the original one used with the 80 amp alt. However, I still could not get the 90 amp alternator to fit at the lower mounting point. This mounting point is part of the DS engine mount, so is there also a different engine mount used for the 90 amp?

Has anyone successfully bolted on the 90 amp(part number 27060-61100-84) without grinding the alt. to fit? Try as I might, I couldn't find the hole and get the bolt in. In the end I just put the 18 year old cruddy 80 amp alt back in and put everything back together. I think when I try to replace the water pump, I'll give the new alt. another try, since there will be a lot more room to work in and inspect/see whats going on, and where to grind.

Anyone do the 90 amp upgrade without grinding?

3FE powwa:cheers:
SANY0168.jpg
SANY0171.jpg
SANY0172.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed...looking forward to hearing the answer to this as I will be installing one in the future

Some more pics.

The first one shows where the new bracket bolts on, but this isn't the problem.

The second pic shows the difference in the 80 amp and 90 amp lower mounting points.
SANY0177.jpg
SANY0181.jpg

I have wondered what the different bracket really was, that will fit a little better once you grind the tab and bolt it in, but the original works fine too. IIRC the bottom mounting point was part of the engine mount or something substantial. I would just go ahead and grind it, it is very easy. Just put masking tape over the openings in the alternator to keep the shavings out.

these are the pics from my 90 amp thread:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Something I forgot to mention in the other thread...

If you put the 90 amp in place and wiggle it around trying to get it to seat, the bracket in the truck will scratch the mounting tab on the alternator so you can see exactly where you need to grind it. the hole in the wiring connector has to be enlarged a little bit also.

I thought I remember reading a thread last night where someone placed the 90amp one in. I dont know if it was the 3FE or the 1somthing-or-other. I was searching for "mean green". I wish I could figure out if I have a toyota alt or another kind without taking it apart. I wonder if I can order the OEM brushes to fit.

:::EDIT::: It appears the info from the 90amp thread was posted above while I was typing.

Have any detailed installed pics?

I don't have any detailed pics, it is difficult to get a good picture of the alternator in the truck. You can't get replacement brushes for the stock 80 amp. It is easy to tell the difference, external fan - 80 amp. Internal fan - aftermarket replacement(most likely) or 90 amp.

I had an aftermarket 80 amp with an internal fan. It had replaceable brushes, the 90 amp brushes and bearings fit it, but they did not fix the charging problem for me. I actually had a seized rear bearing in my aftermarket alt and may have messed up something trying to get it off without a proper bearing puller.

Have the same motor in my FJ62. The stock alternator (80 amp) actually puts out 86 amps when tested at the electrical place. Not sure whey there is a lot of effort to gain 4 amps. Plus, even if it is 80 amps, how is it worth the effort to gain 10 amps? Now if you could double the output with little effort, that would be worth it.

I only ordered the 90 amp because I thought that was what I had to begin with. Since I had it and needed to drive the truck I ground the tab and bolted it in. It is not a lot of effort really, but I think you are right that it is not a huge upgrade. It would be interesting to see what the 90 amp actually puts out if the 80 amp puts out 86, I would assume it would be over 90. The 90 amp is noticeably larger than the 80 amp. d

I remember reading your thread bhmmapping, and while looking at my new bracket, and from what you posted, I knew the new bracket wasn't going to solve the problem with the interference down below. After trying for 30 minutes, all I could think was I'm still going to have to grind this to make it fit. Noticed all the scratches on the new alt as well, where I will have to grind. Its that or grind some off of the engine mount. Still going to stop by the dealers and see if there is a diff part number for the engine mount with a 90 amp alt. There has to be, but I'm not going to get it. The grinder will solve this problem. Plus, I'm glad the new one didn't bolt right up, this way I can paint it yella.

I would like to use the 90 amp since you can rebuild it, and even get it to kick out a lot more. I think I'll need it with my dream list, and dual tanks are way down on the list:flipoff2: Can you even get the 80 amp one? Part superceded perhaps?

Now I am curious. Which package offered a 90 amp? Just wondering why there would be two sized amps at such near ratings.

bhmmapping: So our FJ80 80 amp alts are not like the other Toyota alts? We cant just order new brushes? I remember ordering them all the time for my Tacoma and 4Runner when they would wear down (age, water crossing, etc).

right, the brushes are soldered into the 80 amp alternator. The parts to fix it are more expensive than a toyota reman. Some people have had them repaired at an alternator shop iirc, but the reman is not all that expensive.

Soooo.... Just like we suspected, there is a different lower mount that is made to fit the 90 amp specifically. Its part number is 12511-61070 and lists at $200

In order to do a factory conversion of the 80 amp to the 90 amp in the 3FE, you will need

27060-61100-84 alternator (List $299)
16381-61060 Fan belt adjuster bar (List $25)
12511-61070 Lower mount (List $200)

I think I'll follow in Bhmmapping footsteps and use the grinder on the alternators soft aluminum housing. I forgot to shoot a picture of the two alt. with their front mounting tabs lined up. When I did this, it appeared that the belts chanels lined up. Is that the case with yours Bhmmapping, when mounted the belts all line up? Thanks for the picture of your ground alt, I could practically print it out and tape it to mine and grind away.

So everything was going well, had the alt ground and fitted, adjusted the belt, went to tighten the lower alt bolt, and snapped the alt housing. Basically just took $300 and tossed it out the window. The housing/mount/bolt weren't even all the way tight yet.

So ticked off at myself for being a complete failure, was looking forward to putting 90 amped in my sig line. Now? Any ideas at fixing this one. Should I say screw it and just put it back in and bolt her up? Most of it is still together and may hold but I hate to think what would happen if the alt broke loose. Should I put the 80 amp back in and hope it lasts another 18 years, even though its been giving me the lights for 2 years now? Duck tape it, Jb weld, my smith and wesson 500 mag and a bottle of jack? AAAAAHHHHHHHH:bang:

I guess I did put a new water pump in and new hoses/clamps.
SANY0221.jpg
SANY0223.jpg

90 amped

So, with not a whole lot of input, I decided to just bolt it back in and fire the 90 amped meat wagon up. All is fine, the belts line up, putting out great voltage at idle. Its a success for now, and hopefully it will stay that way.

When adjusting the amp to fit, I also loosened up the mount that is attached to the water pump on one end and the adjusting bar(part # 16381-61060) on the other end. I also left the adjusting bar slightly loose giving me more play, bolted it to the amp, then snugged everything up. The alt is adjustable, and its a done deal for now. Thanks again bhmmapping for the template.

Glad it worked out for you, I can't figure out how that rear tab snapped like that. It doesn't seem like it would have that much force applied to it vs. the front tab. You could probably put some of that epoxy steel stick stuff on there if you think it is a problem.

I found a 90 amp for $25 at a local junk yard. Looks good, planning on having it rewound to 130a

Question:

Is the lower mount different?

I've heard about guys upgrading to the Sequoia/Tundra 160amp alternator. Having to change a pulley and belts. I'm not sure if it is only the 1FZE motor though... hmmm. @NLXTACY you mentioned this. Can it be done on the 3FE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom