Front Runner Slimline 2 Low Profile Fit to LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys;

First time doing a mod to the LC200 and I’m pretty frustrated with the install of this FrontRunner Slimline 2 Low Profile version.

So everything up to the point of putting constructed platform rack part on to the roof footings was 100% according to the instructions. No issues up to here!

However, as you will see from the last diagram in the instructions, there are 7 bolt holes between the rack footing and the rack itself on each side. ie 14 holes so therefore 14 bolts washers and nuts needed! But they only gave me 12, and I thought maybe I lost 2 or they were missing, but 12 is what they have in their own instructions!!

The instructions even show a diagram with the 7 holes each side, using parts 8,2,9,5, but FrontRunner only give you 12 M8x20 bolts! ie as if it were 6 both side!

The temptation is just to go ahead and mount the 12 and add 2 more later, but the problem is to add more later you have to undo ALL the bolts to lift the rack to add in the next two missing bolts.

So I had to remove the rack after going to the trouble to recruit a good friend, only to drag them back again in future!

My question is, how the hell does the diagram show clearly 7 mounting holes both sides, meaning you need 14 bolts, but only 12 bolts are mentioned in the instructions!

Also, is the rack platform A UNIVERSAL LOW PROFILE one, or should it be specific to the Toyota Landcruiser 200? The footings are specific to the vehicle, but the platform isn’t???

I just ordered a Toyota Landcruiser 200 Slimline 2 Low Profile, and what came was specific ‘Toyota Land Cruiser 200 foot rails low profile’ instructions and a second box and instructions for ‘Slimline 2 tray universal assembly’

I wondering if that’s the issue or how else has nobody ever come across this problem before? The thing I needed 2 more of is part #8, the M8x20 hex bolts, and two more washers and nuts and covers obviously.

see photos

B5AF73B7-59FC-4504-A443-7DBBF58E6434.jpeg

2CF16118-239A-4FEB-8CA1-337D81B96CAA.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Frustrating. I would pause the install and call Frontrunner customer support Monday morning to get it sorted out. Worst case scenario is they will overnight you some hardware and a free t-shirt, or something.

I would venture to guess the rack is generic, but the actual mounting system that marries the rack to the roof is vehicle specific.

Take one the twelve bolts to your local hardware store and match up there. Why delay the installation waiting for the missing two bolts/nuts to arrive?
Like ARB the Frontrunner racks are generic and the mounting kits are vehicle specific.
I would contact them to make them aware of their instructions quantity error, so they can remedy it and the number of bolts/ nuts in the package.

Last edited:
I will give them a call Monday, not sure how this hasnt been reported before or even noticed

The low profile rack is a fairly new version and it sounds like they’re experiencing some pains now offering two different variations. I have the standard rack from them which only has 6 mounts per side for 12 total. It sounds like someone accidentally put the hardware pack from a standard rack into the low profile box. Like others have commented I’ve always had very good luck calling and emailing them. If it were me I’d probably just install it anyway and add the two extra bolts down the line when I’m bored on a rainy day. Not ideal, but undoing the 6 on each side should give enough flex to add it one side at a time

So I called FrontRunner Monday, spoke to them about it and they admit that the instructions are wrong but nobody ever told them about it before.
I asked him to overnight the missing hardware as I leave Friday on a trip. Which he said he would do told him to send it FedEx or UPS which they do.
I just checked online now, Tuesday night, and they sent it USPS and doesn’t get here until Saturday. Totally unacceptable

Also, two slats wouldn’t allow passage of the bolt head to slide along the rail. Excess aluminum stuck in a couple of channels, but two completely blocked. They told me I wasn’t putting in the bolt correctly, which was fine on all the other slats

really annoyed now with this

Ok, update.
FR have expedited another shipping to me, as long as it gets here in the time they said it would I’ll be happy.
I’ll post some pics when done, it’s the low profile version of the Slimline 2
Main difference is you can’t fit the stainless steel table under the rack but I could put that in my RTT to be honest if needed

Can't spell "INSTRUCTIONS"? I think the assembly instructions are universal. They tray is semi-universal in the sense it can fit several different vehicles (with the vehicle specific rails), but is not a one-size-fits-all.

I think maybe if using the full length tray, you only need two bolts in the front, two in the middle and two at the back. IOW, one of the middle mounts is not supposed to be used? Qty 28 of number 2 and 5 also seem to confirm this. The back rail is also used for the half length tray I believe, in which case the 4 connection points would be used.

Last edited:
Can't spell "INSTRUCTIONS"? I think the assembly instructions are universal. They tray is semi-universal in the sense it can fit several different vehicles (with the vehicle specific rails), but is not a one-size-fits-all.

I think maybe if using the full length tray, you only need two bolts in the front, two in the middle and two at the back. IOW, one of the middle mounts is not supposed to be used? Qty 28 of number 2 and 5 also seem to confirm this. The back rail is also used for the half length tray I believe, in which case the 4 connection points would be used.
They sent the extra bolts/washers/nuts and I should be able to get this finished today

I downloaded the instructions, and figure 3.2 clearly shows all three center positions being used. So I agree the quantities of items 2 and 5 should be 14 not 12. Glad you were able to get this resolved.

1631885985140.png

Nice to see FR is offering a low-profile mounting solution now for those of us with low garages. And that Rhino bumper looks great.

Post some pics once you get it installed.

So I drove without the wind faring and 45-55mph it is very noisy with a lot of vibration. It would be too annoying to drive like that.

Fortunately I got the wind fairing, it’s specific to the low profile unit, and it’s honestly perfect, in reducing the noise by 90% and vibration completely gone

I wouldn’t get it without the wind fairing. Hope this bit of a write up helps.

Main thing with this low profile version is you can NOT store the FR table underneath!

3EC8D18D-9A9C-4478-A41B-F618B43EE88D.jpeg

AF3E94AA-B004-4A98-B0AA-5FFA16C754BE.jpeg

4F6F0DDC-1C83-43BC-88F9-3EAEFE8A6177.jpeg

51236109-BEE6-415F-9295-F1AAAF7E4A7B.jpeg

3CF0B905-BCDF-42B4-92F8-E0A18DF38F3D.jpeg

So I drove without the wind faring and 45-55mph it is very noisy with a lot of vibration. It would be too annoying to drive like that.

Fortunately I got the wind fairing, it’s specific to the low profile unit, and it’s honestly perfect, in reducing the noise by 90% and vibration completely gone

I wouldn’t get it without the wind fairing. Hope this bit of a write up helps.

Main thing with this low profile version is you can NOT store the FR table underneath!

View attachment 2791397

View attachment 2791398

View attachment 2791399

View attachment 2791400

View attachment 2791401
That turned out great!! Question for you . . . On Frontrunner's website the Slimline page has a note that says it's "Not appropriate for vehicles with the shark fin antenna." For that reason, I concluded it wouldn't work on my 2020 Landcruiser, and I would have to get the standard height rack instead. But this looks like it fits perfectly over your antenna. Any issues there?

That turned out great!! Question for you . . . On Frontrunner's website the Slimline page has a note that says it's "Not appropriate for vehicles with the shark fin antenna." For that reason, I concluded it wouldn't work on my 2020 Landcruiser, and I would have to get the standard height rack instead. But this looks like it fits perfectly over your antenna. Any issues there?

None whatsoever
The only thing is you can’t install their tray table underneath like the standard option. But I’m ok with that cos I could throw it in the tent if needed

Make sure you buy the extra wind faring. Very noisy without

None whatsoever
The only thing is you can’t install their tray table underneath like the standard option. But I’m ok with that cos I could throw it in the tent if needed

Make sure you buy the extra wind faring. Very noisy without
Appreciate the help!

I just got my low profile Front Runner rack installed, and can confirm there is enough clearance with the shark fin antenna. I drove around without the fairing and it was loud as I was expecting. I installed the wider full fairing but haven't driven with it on yet.

Also, I was also missing some hardware as @Eire32 was... The bolts were there but I was missing two M8 flat washers (item 2 in the above picture). Luckily that didn't hold up the install and I can install the two remaining nuts once I receive the washers (yes I can use any old washer I get it, but I am still going to request some from Front Runner so they all match). Take inventory of the hardware before you get started on the install to avoid delays.

Last edited:
I just got my low profile Front Runner rack installed, and can confirm there is enough clearance with the shark fin antenna. I drove around without the fairing and it was loud as I was expecting. I installed the wider full fairing but haven't driven with it on yet.

Also, I was also missing some hardware as @Eire32 was... The bolts were there but I was missing two M8 flat washers (item 2 in the above picture). Luckily that didn't hold up the install and I can install the two remaining nuts once I receive the washers (yes I can use any old washer I get it, but I am still going to request some from Front Runner so they all match). Take inventory of the hardware before you get started on the install to avoid delays.
Hey, sorry I didnt get to your PM until last night. I used to get instant notifications but I didnt in this case. Either way I hope the advice was correct. To me its the best rack out there and I didnt want any other rack and it sounds like you would agree. I got the GOBI ladder installed also. Apart from the missing hardware which was annoying and even more annoying to hear you had the same after I point this out to them

Maybe you don't really want their hardware anyways..

Just to close this out. I had a chance to drive around with the fairing on today. Very much improved over no fairing and I was happy with the noise level. Really not much louder than the factory rack.

For the low profile rack, there is 3/8" clearance between the tip of the antenna and the slat directly above it.

PXL_20230210_213439354.jpg

PXL_20230210_213524548.jpg

Just to close this out. I had a chance to drive around with the fairing on today. Very much improved over no fairing and I was happy with the noise level. Really not much louder than the factory rack.

For the low profile rack, there is 3/8" clearance between the tip of the antenna and the slat directly above it.

View attachment 3244858

View attachment 3244859
That's great to see!!! I've seen the standard height and it's just too tall...looks odd IMO. I saw the note on the low profile saying not for those with shark fin, so stopped considering Front Runner. Are you able to park in a standard height garage? I've got a 3"/2" lift, tires only slightly bigger, so thinking the low profile will be ok. I think I read the rack itself is 2" deep, so if i've got 3" clearance above the shark fin I should be ok.

View attachment 3244858

View attachment 3244859
Forgot to ask…any issues with satellite radio working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom