Conundrum, need more light for the trails/off-road (GX470) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrTorgue

Grizzly Clint
Threads
I’m torn on what to do. With our Grand Cherokee I had it all figured out but now that it is sold and we have this GX470 I have no earthly idea where to start.

I was originally thinking about these:

Amazon product ASIN B0716C9JG3
What I really want is an LED light bar that is bright as hell but I’d want a bull bar too so that sort of throws a monkey wrench in to this because I cannot find any bull bars I like for my GX.

So what about somehow mounting those side shooter pods (or another similar lighting the fog light lens assembly holes to replace the fog lights with these? Or are there any tiny LED light bars that fit in those fog light lens housing holes if I take the lenses out?

At this point I’m open for suggestions.

Lastly, does the garage door opener buttons play nice with these:
Amazon product ASIN B000BRJF62

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat with my GX.
-I don’t want a big lightbar on the roof, reflecting off the hood.
-I don’t like the look of the pod lights, bracketed at the corners of the hood by the front windshield
-I don’t think bright LEDs will be effective at high-lighting holes, dips, rocks etc from the fog lamp position...too low, and the light beam needs more downward angle to give “depth” to an object.

Maybe something mounted in the grill, toward the lower Edge?

I dunno. I almost want to replace my fog light lens housings and mount two pairs of side shooters on each side just so they can light up not only out but down and put in some flush mounted spots in the front bumper. Options are limited.

Yeah, the more I'm thinking about it, the more I want to go with something in/on the grill.
And maybe some actual amber fogs in the fog lamp position...
Just takes $

Yeah, the more I'm thinking about it, the more I want to go with something in/on the grill.
And maybe some actual amber fogs in the fog lamp position...
Just takes $

The factory grille is super weak. Of the dozen GX470’s I saw 8 had cracked grilles. Four had cracked bolt holes and were just loose.

I’m now wondering if I should put four flush mount pods in the front bumper.

Amazon product ASIN B076KYDMB9

Ok update.

I found a local off road shop to do some work on my Charger project and they did a great job on my lights so I’m going to see if they can either fab up a simple bumper/grille guard or get a grille guard for another vehicle on my GX470 with custom brackets.

I already know what lights I want. The ones I got on my Charger were pricey but very bright and pretty awesome. Both the side shooters and 10” led flood light bar are from Rigid. For the GX I’m going to take the fog light lenses out and install the same side shooters I had installed on the Charger. Going to get some Rigid flush mounted pods for the rear bumper as backup lights. If the grille guard has the room I’ll want a 20” led light bar similar to my 10” on the Charger.
80DE9655-8C9E-4552-8091-4453B7BCF8E8.jpeg
8BEB8FE6-EF15-425C-A8D8-51E7B2B0030C.jpeg

Forgot about this thread...
Here’s my final result. Diode Dynamics 6” fog/wide beam bars, and DD cubes (driving pattern), mounted in lower grill.
Both on separate switches (fogs are on stock fog switch).

1C79FEEA-EB7E-4762-91AD-4E8297AA3651.jpeg

Here’s my final result. Diode Dynamics 6” fog/wide beam bars, and DD cubes (driving pattern), mounted in lower grill.

View attachment 2349648

Aren’t those air holes functional for something?

I’m leaning towards having these cut / installed in the front bumper:

And these in the rear bumper as backup lights on a 3 position switch so I can turn them on separately:

I got these on the Charger but they aren’t bright enough...

C8090326-0374-41EE-9A59-542ED57F5D00.jpeg

9CDC657E-A2BF-4FDF-B6FD-D2EB95EBB6CB.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 2349648
Looks like this would throw quite a bit of light. What are those DD Cubes? still happy with the results? have you done any color changes to the setup? Thanks!

I had the same “want” with my 80. I needed wide light up close for slow moving. I went with the Baja Squadron Sport “wide cornering beam” and they’re great. Incredible quality and nice wiring harness. Their 4500-5000k color temp doesn’t have any of the typical LED blue tint to it, and the wide cornering lights up from centerline to about 2:30-3:00 and a distance of 50yds. I understand Diode Dynamics has some very nice comparable offerings as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom