Left hub moan (low speed) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Over the past couple of weeks I have rebuilt the passenger and driver side hubs on my '96 80 series. Initially, there were no issues but after a couple hundred miles, I have developed a moan from the left hub at low speeds in and out of turns up to about 10 mph, once I build up speed the noise goes away. Today I went back through the left hub, checking the bearings (and regreasing) and torque specs on all the bolts (I didn't pull the bifilar). I am about to PCS from the UK to Italy in a few weeks and would really like to have this sorted before jumping on the road. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue or might know what it could be causing it before I start throwing money at different parts? Thanks

Vehicle Specs
'96 80 Series VX 4.2D 5 Speed

I really like to point out low hanging fruit first.

Sticking Calipers or vibrating brake pads if you lost some of the shims maybe?

Thanks for the quick reply, the caliper had crossed my mind as the piston seals looked a bit aged. I did install new Toyota rotors and pads but don't recall the kit coming with any shims. I'll go back and look.

Thanks for the quick reply, the caliper had crossed my mind as the piston seals looked a bit aged. I did install new Toyota rotors and pads but don't recall the kit coming with any shims. I'll go back and look.

Don't confuse piston seals with dust boots. I don't think you would be able to assess the condition of the piston seals without removing the pistons. That said, that doesn't seem to be your problem based upon your description. Dragging brakes would be more likely related to excess heat buildup rather than noise. Did you check the grease level within the steering knuckle? In a number of similar reported symptoms the bushing the birfield stub axle travels makes the noise due to lack of lubrication.

Dry spindle bushing?

/\/\/\
This. I'll put my money on the spindle bushing.

Is it a good moan?

So I pulled the hub apart today and sure enough, it was the spindle bushing. I found shavings from the brass bushing as well as the front face of it being slightly chewed up as I assume it was coming in contact with the abs gear. I didn't have a spare bushing to replace nor the tool to pull the old one out. So I opted to clean out the shavings and the spindle and re-grease the knuckle as well as the spindle bushing. The 18 mile drive home went well and no noise was heard.

So another question is it necessary to replace the bushing if only the front face is slightly worn versus the inside of the bushing which has no damage? Thanks for the help

...is it necessary to replace the bushing if only the front face is slightly worn versus the inside of the bushing which has no damage? Thanks for the help

My OPINION would be no, but I'd want to know why it was wearing. The common culprit is low grease in the knuckle- was that the case? The cavity should be at least 1/2 to ideally 3/4 full.

That was the problem, didn't put grease on the bushing during reassembly. Is it normal for the bushing to contact the ABS gear on the bifilar if it is dry?

That was the problem, didn't put grease on the bushing during reassembly. Is it normal for the bushing to contact the ABS gear on the bifilar if it is dry?

There's a wear surface there for a reason, so I'd guess yes. However, if the knuckle is full of grease, it should work its way behind the birfield and lube that bushing, especially that surface.

In any case I'd fill the knuckle with grease and run it, and pay attention to it for awhile.

Contacting the ABS GEAR (also called the reluctor ring)....NO. The ring is about 3" in diameter and the bushing is about 2" in diameter, so the two should never come even close to each other.

That being said, the face of the birfield where the axle comes out of the bell is machined to contact the bushing and the collar the reluctor ring is mounted on is where the bushing makes contact. That is the part that must have grease. Make sure there is plenty there. It is possible to have some mixing of the moly grease from the birfield area with the wheel bearing grease in the front hub through the spindle/axle union.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom