Diesel 80 Wagon versus Dodge Cummins Camper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I'm confronting yet another vehicle choice situation and thought I'd solicit some views from people here.

I own a rather rare 80 Series diesel (1HZ, barn doors, "poverty pack" LHD) I picked up locally a couple of years ago. It has served me well, especially hauling stuff back and forth from a country property I bought last summer, which is near a lot of gentle trails that I could drive the 80 on. It's a 5 speed, no AC, relatively low kms (220k). Very good mechanical shape, and no body rust to speak of.

One of my long-standing wishes is to go on some long road trips in N-A (following early retirement in a year or so), up to Yukon/Alaska, Labrador, down to South-East US, etc. My plan was to fixup the Land-Cruiser (deal with a few axle seal issues and other odds and ends), get some spare parts, and either setup a sleeping platform/storage in the back, or pull a trailer with roof-top tent.

THe other option I've long contemplated is an older Dodge Cummins (12 valve) with truck camper on top. The advantages I see with that are that it can be used as a truck when not camping (hauling stuff around the cottage, etc.), Cummins is a great engine (though the truck is not as great), can be repaired anywhere in N-A should I suffer some kind of breakdown. Those truck campers are very comfortable for two people and can be taken off the truck when needed. And I have seen some truck/camper combinations of similar vintage to my LC (early 90's) sell for $8-10K (see attached). I figure I can probably sell my LC for more than that.

I can't justify owning two trucks, so one day will have to make the decision on one of these two options (there are probably others, but I've settled on those 2 at this point).

Any ideas or thoughts (realizing this is a LC-biased forum ;))?
92dodge.jpg

Oh my god. Delete this thread. The pull-behind camper trailer (a light one) option is clearly your best bet.

First in line when you sell your 80 :D

The cummins is a great choice for a road trip!!

:D :D
cheers,
Jan

I am a Dodge owner. 2003 QC Cummins 4X4. I have a camper called an Outfitter Apex 8. It is a four season pop-up truck camper. Prior to that I had an S&S Ponderosa 8.5. The big hard side camper is fine for Hwy use but not friendly for 2 track or gravel driving...too much sway. The Outfitter is a great set up. Much lighter and actually has more amenities than my fancy hard side. Microwave, Inverter, A/C, catalytic heater and forced air, shower and toilet, outside shower, sink, refer stove etc. Sleeps 3 men comfortably and my family with wife and 2 young children is fine as well.
I also have a Cummins powered FJ60.

If your plan is long range travel exclusively in Canada/USA I'd go with the Dodge Cummins, just not the setup pictured. Those front bumper mounted propane tanks are a little more than scary!!

This is from someone that has owned an '89 Dodge with a camper. You'll get way more power and easier repair from the Cummins though as you already know, the truck is not nearly as good.

Thanks for the thoughts folks (both from hardcore LC owner perspective, and those who have owned or still own a Dodge Cummins). I wish I could afford both trucks, but money and driveway space kind of dictate otherwise (I could store one at the cottage I suppose, but insurance/maintenance/repairs starts adding up...).

I'm not a wheeler, so am envisioning strictly on-road driving (though in some cases, in the North especially, somewhat marginal gravel roads at times).

I think I need to better consider LC options, though the Dodge/Cummins has some definite advantages. Maybe the bottom line is: I can _always_ find a dodge cummins, but would have a very hard time finding a diesel Land-Cruiser like I have, were I to sell it... Just buying a 1HZ engine like I have in it would probably cost someone $6-8K.

In any case, I'll likely be spending a lot of my spare time around the cottage this summer, fixing and cleaning up stuff, and exploring the trails and gravel roads around there. So the 80 is just fine for that. It's only next summer that I see myself heading out for one of those cross-continent trips, so I still have time to figure out whether I go with a trailer for the LC (not a tent trailer though, maybe a military one with sleeping platform, lots of options out there), or eventually make the move to the diesel pickup and camper. And at that point, maybe my 17 year old son will be interested to acquire my 80.

As you say, the setup of this Dodge has some issues, especially the propane cylinders in front! I suppose some of these rigs store stuff up front to balance the weight a bit. I've seen pickups with smaller campers that look more appealing to me. I like the older Dodge/CUmmins (late 80's early 90's, simpler 12 valve engine), but finding a nice specimen is not an easy task.

Ok, I suppose I've blasphemied enough on this hallowed ground ;)

Cheers!

I'd dislike trying to live out of the 80.
I'd hate trying to wheel the Dodge.

Take your pick. :)

If you need the power of the Cummins engine for your cross country trip...is buying an older Dodge for the trip and then dumping it afterwards an option? I would think that a mint LHD HZJ80 would be a keeper...unless someone offers you ridiculous amounts of money for it...in which case some people would still keep it, but would be understandable if it's sold.

BTW...pics of the 80 please. :)

I'd dislike trying to live out of the 80.
I'd hate trying to wheel the Dodge.

Take your pick. :)

:hmm: Hmm, that sums it up nicely!...

If you need the power of the Cummins engine for your cross country trip...is buying an older Dodge for the trip and then dumping it afterwards an option? I would think that a mint LHD HZJ80 would be a keeper...unless someone offers you ridiculous amounts of money for it...in which case some people would still keep it, but would be understandable if it's sold.

BTW...pics of the 80 please. :)

Good suggestion: buying a Dodge/Cummins/Camper, go for my trips, then sell it. Challenge is that it takes time to find a good specimen worth buying, then fixing it up for the trip, which is why I'm looking a year before I'm likely to need it.

As you suggest, my LHD 80 should be a keeper, I'd never get one like it again...

I attach some pics of the 80 right after I acquired it 2 years ago, sharing driveway space with my BJ60 (which was sold to make room for its european cousin;))

Thanks for the additional ideas/perspectives, all useful!!
2 Cruisers 001.jpg
2 Cruisers 003.jpg
2 Cruisers 006.jpg

I would get something like that Coleman Camper and tow it behind the 80.
If your 1HZ is as good as you say,it will most likely do a cross continental trip without needing repairs.
For the unlikely scenario it does,have credit card at the ready and take a list of sources that can supply you with parts or labour if necessary.

Having towable accomadation means you can leave it behind at the camping ground to go exploring trails:cool:

I bet the 80 is nicer to drive on the highway;)

I would add A/C and I bet a lot of parts from a NA FZJ80 would work.

That would also be rarish in oz as they are nearly all white with the odd desert beige colour

When I look at the Dodge and the 80 for comparison, I have to ask: how much room do you need?

Are you traveling solo, with your partner or as a family? Do you have special travel needs while on the road?

If you are comfortable with less space, an 80 towing a trailer will probably give you greater economy, flexibility and compactness. That has a certain appeal.

If you like to go big, that Dodge you have pictured looks like a castle!!! what's the fuel burn rate on that set-up?

rick

I would get something like that Coleman Camper and tow it behind the 80.
If your 1HZ is as good as you say,it will most likely do a cross continental trip without needing repairs.
For the unlikely scenario it does,have credit card at the ready and take a list of sources that can supply you with parts or labour if necessary.

Having towable accomadation means you can leave it behind at the camping ground to go exploring trails:cool:

I bet the 80 is nicer to drive on the highway;)

I would add A/C and I bet a lot of parts from a NA FZJ80 would work.

That would also be rarish in oz as they are nearly all white with the odd desert beige colour
Thanks for the thoughts Rosco. Indeed, I think the 1HZ would be the least of my worries (especially as I'm planning to overhaul/replace the injectors sometime soon). Records indicate the transmission and clutch were replaced around 70,000 kms ago, while the truck was still in the UK. I just need to address some leaking axle seals, everything else is pretty tight (well, a bit of slop in the drivetrain, but I understand all the full-time 4WD's are like that).

I'll have to start looking at the trailer options again. I recall seeing an australian-made light popup that was almost off-road capable, which looked very interesting.

Hadn't thought about retrofitting AC to it, but I will inquire about it, thanks for suggesting. I don't particularly need it up here, but it would come in handy in southern US...

Cheers.

When I look at the Dodge and the 80 for comparison, I have to ask: how much room do you need?

Are you traveling solo, with your partner or as a family? Do you have special travel needs while on the road?

If you are comfortable with less space, an 80 towing a trailer will probably give you greater economy, flexibility and compactness. That has a certain appeal.

If you like to go big, that Dodge you have pictured looks like a castle!!! what's the fuel burn rate on that set-up?

rick
Good questions Rick. Actually, I see myself traveling solo for a fair chunk of it, unless my son wants to tag along for some of it. My GF will be working for a few more years, so may join me for parts of the road treks. So basically I just need room for two. No dog (yet).

As you and others have suggested, towing a small trailer behind the 80 may indeed be the best course of action. The Dodge camper is indeed a large and heavy vehicle, though I find that home on wheels appealing for some reason! As far as traditional RV'ing goes, I would probably go with that setup before some of the other ones (pulling a massive camper trailer for ex). I imagine that the truck without the camper on it would be a heck of a rough ride (3/4 ton truck with 1 ton suspension!).

Dodge forums indicate that a Dodge Cummins of that vintage (12 valve) gets about 15-20 MPG highway, maybe 12-15 with the heavy camper on the back. More recent Dodge Cummins get less mileage because of HP increases. In comparison, my 80 1HZ gets something around 20-25 MPG highway.

Cheers!

Wait... It's a 5 speed? LHD and Five Speed. I want your truck, but I'll come up there and slap you myself if you sell the 80. That's gold and the 1HZ is an even better engine than the 1HD (as far as reliability). You can even easily add a turbo later.

Buy a popup tralier/camper and have a great trip...

(I can't beleive I said that as I want your truck so badly!)

Thanks for the thoughts Rosco. Indeed, I think the 1HZ would be the least of my worries (especially as I'm planning to overhaul/replace the injectors sometime soon). Records indicate the transmission and clutch were replaced around 70,000 kms ago, while the truck was still in the UK. I just need to address some leaking axle seals, everything else is pretty tight (well, a bit of slop in the drivetrain, but I understand all the full-time 4WD's are like that).

I'll have to start looking at the trailer options again. I recall seeing an australian-made light popup that was almost off-road capable, which looked very interesting.

Hadn't thought about retrofitting AC to it, but I will inquire about it, thanks for suggesting. I don't particularly need it up here, but it would come in handy in southern US...

Cheers.

I would have thought yours part time 4wd

There is lots of pop ups for offroad use in oz,but the truly capable ones run into big dollars

That's gold and the 1HZ is an even better engine than the 1HD (as far as reliability). You can even easily add a turbo later.

What are you saying...that the 1HZ is more reliable than the 1HDT because it's naturally aspirated? Or that a turboed 1HZ is more reliable than a 1HD-T? Either way, I don't buy it...

Rstl99 - Nice truck by the way...not too crazy about the aftermarket colour scheme...but your truck is sweeeet! I'd be tempted to keep it.

Wait... It's a 5 speed? LHD and Five Speed. I want your truck, but I'll come up there and slap you myself if you sell the 80. That's gold and the 1HZ is an even better engine than the 1HD (as far as reliability). You can even easily add a turbo later.

Buy a popup tralier/camper and have a great trip...

(I can't beleive I said that as I want your truck so badly!)
Yeah, I suppose part of me needed to be slapped back to its senses, and most of the responses here have done just that!;) I agree with you about the 1HZ, and appreciate its simplicity and reliability. The more I think about it, and the more suggestions I get along those lines, what I need to do is equip myself with a nice lightweight trailer and I'm all set! Something that can take some of the abuses of the Northern gravel roads I plan on doing some travels on (Labrador, Yukon).

Well, at least I know that I likely wouldn't have trouble selling the truck if for some reason I needed to part with it. ;)

I would have thought yours part time 4wd

There is lots of pop ups for offroad use in oz,but the truly capable ones run into big dollars
Well, it's full-time AWD is what I meant. I know that some people put in kits to turn it into selectable 4WD (like my BJ60 had).
Yes, some of those fancy popups from Oz were several thousand dollars. Maybe I can score one used if I keep my eyes peeled.

Rstl99 - Nice truck by the way...not too crazy about the aftermarket colour scheme...but your truck is sweeeet! I'd be tempted to keep it.
Thanks for that. Actually, I'm pretty sure the colour is stock. The floor inside is the same colour. I'd prefer having chrome wheels to the black aftermarket ones that someone put on, though, but they're good wheels and do the job...

Cheers!

I' be interested in your 80, and i am much closer (Montreal) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom