One man PS flush on a 3rd Gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Disclaimer:
Be careful when doing your own car work and always, always, use jackstands of the appropriate size and weight capacity when it involves laying under a vehicle that is raised.

Tools/products I used:
jack and jackstands
rags
nitrile gloves
1 gallon of ATF
waste fluid container
small, skinny funnel
skinny automotive style turkey baster

Procedure:
Drive around your rig for a couple miles first and get it the powersteering system warmed up.

Next lift and support the front tires off the ground with jackstands.
005rf.jpg

Next, locate your powersteering fluid reservoir seen in the middle of this picture.
004mmf.jpg

I covered up with rags so I wouldn't make a huge mess all over the engine compartment while evacuating the system. You are going to want a small funnel like this for refilling the system.
011glo.jpg

The reason I said "skinny" automotive type baster is of this....
019or.jpg

That opening in the reservoir is about 16mm or 5/8" round and a normal turkey baster won't fit in there very far, ask me how I know. :D
Another important thing to note is the screen you can see barely at the bottom of the reservoir.....don't stab it/puncture it when pulling the old fluid out. It's the only thing that keeps solids out of the rest of the hydraulic system.

I think I found this one below at Napa....
006uz.jpg

Pull the cap off the reservoir and pull out all the fluid with the automotive baster.

007tzr.jpg

Fill the system with the appropriate fluid to the hot mark, leave the cap off and start the engine...
pslubricant1.jpg

The steering wheel in my 01 4Runner takes 3 and a 1/2 turns to get from lock to lock. It's probably the same in a Tacoma or anything else that gets this same steering rack for that matter.

Turn the lifted wheels back and forth to circulate the ATF through the system.

I tried to use about 3 to 3 and a 1/4 of the full lock to lock (3 and a half turns) during the cycling, trying not to hit full lock on either side.

After I cycled the wheel back and forth for about a minute, I'd shut it down and repeat the process of pulling old, filling new, starting, turning, stop. Repeat.

It took about 15-20 times and about an hour and a half to complete.... and to go from this.....OG OEM ps fluid on the left new atf on the right
001yzwi.jpg

to this...new atf both
022rh.jpg

I must say though that the OEM fluid didn't look to bad considering it had 104,000 miles on it.
:cheers:
Happy wrenching :wrench:

nice write up.. thanks.. think I need to do this soon.

why did you use atf and not power steering fluid?

I had to do this to mine because somebody put PS fluid in at some point...

Nicely done Ray.

Sweet write up, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom