Radio & Clock glitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The radio, clock, and dome lights in my 91 just started not working intermittently. All fuses are good! Can't seem to find the problem yet! Has anyone had the same or similar problem? Or any ideas?

Any other electrical issues? It sounds like your battery has a short. Try running your blinkers or wipers. If your radio, clock, and dome lights cut out with the extra load, clean your terminals, if that doesn't help, check the battery.

You may want to check the insulation on the loose wire/terminal from when you did did the 7 pin mod. I used electrical tape on mine. Tape came loose, and removing the kick panel shorted the wire to something, blowing my dome/clock fuse. Mine has heat shrink on it now.

Battery and everything is good with it! No other electrical issues.
I'll check the wire from the 7 pin mod!!

Radio, clock, and dome light are all powered by the dome fuse. Even if it looks good, replacing it is a cheap and easy way to see if it's the source of your problem. Other stuff powered by this circuit includes the light on the moon roof control panel, the door courtesy lights, the light ring around the ignition switch, and the door open light in the combination meter. So if none of these work, you can be sure it's the dome fuse power circuit, either the fuse itself or a junction connector in the wiring harness. According to the 1997 EWD (all I have, but should be similar to your 1991), after the fuse the power runs through the EA1 wiring connector in the engine bay before branching out to the various devices.

Along the same lines as TrickyT, this circuit gets ground applied at several points for the individual devices, so I would be looking for something common to the items that are flaking out. It seems like it would be the positive side from the fuse or a connection / wire between the fuse and where they separate out to the individual devices. Typical to most intermittent electrical problems, a loose wire, corrosion at a junction, or a wire that has broken but occasionally connects should be the types of breaks to look for.

Good luck.

Along the same lines as TrickyT, this circuit gets ground applied at several points for the individual devices, so I would be looking for something common to the items that are flaking out. It seems like it would be the positive side from the fuse or a connection / wire between the fuse and where they separate out to the individual devices. Typical to most intermittent electrical problems, a loose wire, corrosion at a junction, or a wire that has broken but occasionally connects should be the types of breaks to look for.

Good luck.

i agree! i believe it's a sort of loose wire even though the fuse and everything are in good condition. even though the wire is not peeled off. try to check if the wire inside of it is not loose. there are some cases like that. those connection wires are somewhat not that strong or thick so there's a possibility that this may loosen up and will not work properly.

more power!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kurt
"be electrified, lights, dome lights, etc."

Sounds like a loose wire. I would start by checking the lines off the battery, and the earth points. you may want to consult your fsm for the location of said lines.

Keep in mind that the clock and radio run two seperate powers. They have a constant power to retain time and radio memories, and then an ignition switched power to turn them on or off. Having said that, and since your dome lights are also on the fritz i'd say it's likely to be the constant power circuit that is the problem.

I am having the same issue with my 97 but now the fuse continues to blow and have traced all wires that i can touch still no resolution. Interested to see if anyone else had this problem and how they solved it.

Fuse blowing indicates a direct short, after the fuse but more than likely before the load. Pull the fuse. Disconnect the power wire from your loads (clock, radio, anything else powered by that fuse) and keep them isolated. Then, using a multimeter, check for shorts to ground. You may be able to isolate where the short is and then either replace the wire or wrap it to eliminate the short. It too could be internal to one of the components, like the radio. By disconnecting it from the power feed and then checking the feed wire and load you can determine whether the wire is shorting or the device. Good luck in the search.

Fuse blowing indicates a direct short, after the fuse but more than likely before the load. Pull the fuse. Disconnect the power wire from your loads (clock, radio, anything else powered by that fuse) and keep them isolated. Then, using a multimeter, check for shorts to ground. You may be able to isolate where the short is and then either replace the wire or wrap it to eliminate the short. It too could be internal to one of the components, like the radio. By disconnecting it from the power feed and then checking the feed wire and load you can determine whether the wire is shorting or the device. Good luck in the search.

i did disconnect all the power supplies i could find and still blew the fuse. then disconnected the battery too...and to my surprise still blew the fuse. Then connected battery again dropped new fuse in didnt blow. connected everything else still no blown fuse. turn key to acc no blow. turned key to on no blow. turned key to start and blew again. back to ground zero.

Ok, so first off... that sucks.

It doesn't make sense that it blew the fuse, with the battery disconnected. No power = no fuse blowing. Did you disconnect the negative terminal or the positive terminal? Other thoughts - do you have a 2nd power source in the vehicle? I know that sounds crazy, but I have to ask, since you disconnected the battery and blew a fuse. Second question, did you find all of your loads on that fuse, including any that may have been added by a previous owner?

I hope you don't get upset if it seems like my questioning is going in circles, but my head is spinning from your last post.

Ok, so first off... that sucks.

It doesn't make sense that it blew the fuse, with the battery disconnected. No power = no fuse blowing. Did you disconnect the negative terminal or the positive terminal? Other thoughts - do you have a 2nd power source in the vehicle? I know that sounds crazy, but I have to ask, since you disconnected the battery and blew a fuse. Second question, did you find all of your loads on that fuse, including any that may have been added by a previous owner?

I hope you don't get upset if it seems like my questioning is going in circles, but my head is spinning from your last post.

1. vehicle was stock when i bought it.
2. no secondary battery.
3. I agree it doesnt make sense.
4. disconnected the positive side of battery.
5. then disconnected the ground also.

It is almost like there is a resistor or capacitor holding a charge. If i clear the charge out with blown fuses it works until i start it.

other things affected...
doors dont lock when put in gear
alarm 3 honks like doors ajar when locking..still locks.
radio, dome, clock

drivers kick panel....
replaced all relays

drivers door...
disconnected the power lock control box....still blew fuse

Im confused and lost. not a pro when it comes to electrical..but this seems to be impossible scenario.

new radio was installed last September. no issues till now. thought that might be it so i removed and checked all the wires.

c

still have no locks domes or clock.

I took it to the stereo shop and had them completely rewire the radio where it pulls from a wire not tied into the wiring harness at all and new fusible links. Still not working. I have also checked the stock amp- unplugged and i have disconnected the power antenna.

Any new thoughts? Anyone?

Check the wiring loom before the firewall thats were the dome/radio split off. I had similar issues with mine and the clock would always go out/ radio intermittent. When i open it up they were so bad the joint fell apart. I soldered a new cable in to the two hope it helps. It was about 1 foot past the fuse box.

I will check that this weekend. Now my clock flashes intermittently. It doesn't hold the time so every time i start the truck it starts a 1:00... interesting though is i have no fuse in the 10a dome fuse slot.
Door locks started working again with the factory alarm the way it used to. If i flip a dome switch the clock goes out and resets itself.

Does this make sense to anyone? Is there more than one power wire for the dome, visors, clock?

well i cant comment on the locks but my clock was doing the same thing and radio ill check the color of the wires tomorrow for you. and perhaps there is a few wires in rough shape and you might be getting a back feed through another circuit. Mine were so bad the wire was oxidized and broke when i put the slightest tension on if. Location i believe was when the T-off to different locations.

An old thread, but thought I'd offer my finding. I replaced a bad cigarette lighter / 12v power port the other day. The cheap model I bought did not have the light ring around the 12v port. So naturally, I left the plug that went to the cigarette lighter illumination ring unconnected. Now my clock is resetting at 1:00 every time the truck is turned off. I am going to replace with a higher quality part with a light ring around it. Will report back with findings.

I am currently having this issue. I had a blown fuse (Dome Fuse 7.5 A) and I replaced it but the radio and clock still aren't working properly. The dome light turns off and on. If it matters, my door sensor (switch for when door opens and closes) doesn't work either.

My battery terminals are pretty corroded so I guess that's the next step.

Thanks,

So, I currently ran into this clock, radio, dome lights issue. I was cleaning the evaporator coils, and when I put everything back together, it kept blowing the 10 amp dome fuse. I really wasn't interested in tracing wires because it just sucks. I removed the amp and small 2'' speaker near that location and everything appears to be working. I don't consider it too much of a loss because replacing all the speakers is my next project on this thing. I imagine I sprayed some water where I shouldn't have, and that's what caused the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom