3 months down, baselining done... your .02 of knowledge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my rig about 3 months now. It's a 1995 fzj80 with 194k on it. I really appreciate everything I've learned on this forum and the patience of all the experienced and knowledgeable owners with their contributions.

I read a lot on baselining and PM.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/308884-comprehensive-baselining-list.html

(that link was very helpful for anyone with a new prize--80 series)

I've done almost all of it or paid an experienced toyota mechanic to do the work (not dealership labor rates!).
I changed all the fluids: diffs, t-case, coolant flush, tranny flush, fan clutch serviced. throttle body cleaned, valve cover resealed, rear crank seal tightened/resealed, new wires, spark plugs, dist cap, rotor, dist cap O ring, new belts, new hoses (PCV, breather), and probably left a couple things out, oh new rear brakes

I want to get the rig so its trail reliable, me and the :princess: can go off on long trails and me not have to worry about some neglect effin up the ride and us having to come get help way out in Bumf___.

A few questions, should I replace the water pump? how about replacing the fuel pump? I'm no mechanic but I've heard plenty of stories of those being problems... not necessarily with 80's but vehicles in general. From what ya'll know are those things worth replacing in advance???

also, the PO didn't have service records (errr), but did take care of things when they needed to be taken care of--which is clear the rig has been mechanicaly maintained even if by a non-LC specialized person--is there anyway to see if the HG has already been replaced?:cheers:

Thats kind of a hard question. If it gives you piece of mind, then do it. I replaced the headgasket because it gave me peice of mind, didn't need it but I was putting in a supercharger.

Waterpumps and fuel pumps can last a long time. Any component can fail.

I've never heard of the 4.5's waterpump failing so don't waste your time/money on that. I've only heard of one fuel pump "fail" in all the years, and that was actually a chafed wire at the pump.

At this point, I'd be sure the knuckles are full of grease (simply pump a tube into each one for starters), the wheel bearings aren't loose, and that the brake pads have material on them. Then enjoy the vehicle.

DougM

Thats kind of a hard question. If it gives you piece of mind, then do it. I replaced the headgasket because it gave me peice of mind, didn't need it but I was putting in a supercharger.

Waterpumps and fuel pumps can last a long time. Any component can fail.

Romer, I read the ROTW thread. In the section on your electing to replace HG, you mentioned Robbie told you there were signs that your HG was getting ready to go. What signs did your rig show?

Also, I liked what you did with the cleaning out the carbon.... that, though, sounds like it would be a rather $$$ thing to have done unless knocking it out with something else like the HG (like you did) am I correct?

Doug, I'm still looking for your cruiser anytime I'm over in CDA. Have you met Shane (username yoda-g3). He's got a pretty incredible 80
stereoman405's photos and albums on webshots
looking to meet up with him soon and check it out in person (lengthen my list of goals/plans for mine)

I know I have a loose wheel bearing
but am so little of a mechanic anytime I begin to think of tackling it myself it appears to be too much of a job and I'm not looking to eff it up worse. The mechanic I go to over in CDA recommends I knock it out when I decide to get front breaks done. Any tips or advice on the loose front wheel bearing?

Thanks for your knowledge guys. :cheers:

my fuel pump bracket wires bit the dust after 225K miles, pump was probably fine but I replaced it anyway, might be worth looking at it at least- :meh: it's fairly easy; pull the second row seats and the 6 or so screws in the cover plate, then the 8 or so bolts in the top of the tank/pump bracket.
P6270248.jpg

That's the only thing I haven't that's on the short list of things to do. Are there reasons for urgency on that PM 1shot1kill?

Last edited:
Regarding the fuel tank wiring, the wires and pump remain much cooler when immersed in fuel. Running with the tank constantly empty deprives the pump of the cooling flow of fuel moving around it. Bad practice.

Just a helpful tip.

DougM

Romer, I read the ROTW thread. In the section on your electing to replace HG, you mentioned Robbie told you there were signs that your HG was getting ready to go. What signs did your rig show?

Also, I liked what you did with the cleaning out the carbon.... that, though, sounds like it would be a rather $$$ thing to have done unless knocking it out with something else like the HG (like you did) am I correct?

The rig showed no external signs. It was the gasket itself that waserooding.

I do agree with Doug that if it were me , I would not worry about the water pump or the fuel pump. My point is a lot of us do PM on things that make us feel better rather than really needing it.

Yes on the carbon, you have to pull the head and you should replace the gasket when you pull the head.

That's the only thing I haven't that's on the short list of things to do. Are there reasons for urgency on that PM 1shot1kill?

I know it is one area that people simply neglect! And, with all those miles I bet it has not been flushed. Just make certain when you do it you move the wheels right to left to get as much as the old fluid out!:cheers:

rad cap? what do you mean?

I figured that much, just curious of specifics like he gave about the flushing power steering... or maybe its simple enough that cap goes bad = rig overheats = bad news. ?!

Get a factory cap (assuming you have a factory radiator).

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom