Front Door Speaker Upgrade (6.5" Speakers) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here’s my contribution to the sound system write-up collection:

A lot of the things I ran into have been covered in other threads, so I’ll skip to issues prevalent to my install.

I wanted a 6.5” speaker in the front doors, mainly because I had them new in the box and liked the speaker. (Kicker DS650)

The obvious issues were existing hole diameter, backspacing, and clearance between the face of the speaker to the side of the dash.

Instead of hacking at the door I decided to make two indexed rings. One ring matched the pattern for the stock speaker and the other matched the new speaker. The rings were then mated using 4 ¾” spacers. (Picture #1)

I then trimmed the backing on the door panel to match the outer ring. (Pictures #2 & 3)
Bracket.jpg
PS Trimmed.jpg
PS Fitted.jpg

Then I bolted the assembly to the door and remounted the door panel. (Pictures #4 & 5)

The final product (Picture #6)
PS Installed.jpg
PS Mounted.jpg
DS Completed.jpg

great job. how does it sound?

great job. how does it sound?

They sound great! I also installed an Alpine V12 300W Amp pushing a 10" Infinity Sub.

I've got Infinity 4" Reference Series for the rear doors, but I'm going to wait until I after vacation for those. I'll probably have to do the same thing to clear the window actuator arm.

Since we're talking speakers, I would like to replace the ones in the back, towards the roof; I believe they're either 3 or 3.5 inches.

I'd like to know the size, and a brand and model someone here has used to put there.

I'd also like to know about how easy it is to access and change the amp that's by the sub. I think it's a sub anyway.... The one on the right side in the back.

Since I think the 130 and 110 watt speakers are affecting my headlights a little more than the stock speakers....

I've got Infinity 4" Reference Series for the rear doors...

The magnet on the back is quite large...They wouldn't fit into my rear doors. I ended up getting a pair of Pioneers and selling the Ref's to my brother. :rolleyes:

Check out here to see how the rears are fit into the doors (Not my thread, but very helpful).

Last edited:
The magnet on the back is quite large...They wouldn't fit into my rear doors. I ended up getting a pair of Pioneers and selling the Ref's to my brother. :rolleyes:

Check out here to see how the rears are fit into the doors (Not my thread, but very helpful).

Yep, I pulled the drivers side rear to see how it mounted up. It's gonna take a little trimming, but the Infinitys are going in. [crossing fingers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom