ROTM--Ms. Cuban (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the Cruiser bug in the summer of 2003...well after the Toyota bug got me. I always pulled the Marty McFly when I saw a Toyota truck, "Whoa, check out that 4x4." I worked with a guy who had a 1972 FJ40 and we drove it all over western NC that summer. Unless it needed work, then we drove my 97 Tacoma. I had always noticed Cruisers but never really appreciated them.

The first Cruiser came along when my wife and I were expecting our first child. She still had the boring sedan she drove through college so I decided to drive it, sell the Tacoma and get her "something bigger and safer." Enter the 2000 UZJ100.
boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture12027-pb080152.jpg

A few months later, I had the itch to get something I could wheel. Enter the 1974 FJ40. As you can see, it was a project that needed lots of tlc. I was willing and had lots of friends willing to help, but I had a job relocation in the midst of all this so I decided to let it go.
boombapslappy-albums-1974-fj40-picture2640-mr-bojangles-002.jpg

After daily driving the wife's old college car, a 2000 Galant for a couple of years, I just couldn't take it anymore. So I gave it to my sister and enter Ms. Cuban.
boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture6789-dscn1964.jpg

boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture6790-dscn1966.jpg

It was so nice to be in a truck again. I quickly began saving up for a lift. Mostly because I just don't think these cruisers look right at stock height. I went for the OME Ultra Heavy, BFG AT 33 10.5 on a steel FJ40 rim.
boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture6805-img00014.jpg

boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture6806-img00016.jpg

boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture6788-img00011.jpg

It was a more difficult process lifting Ms. Cuban than I reallized going in. Well, let me take that back. The process is simple for a leaf sprung truck. But 20 years of sagging and bouncing around really take a toll and all of that stuff just seemed like one big solid piece of suspension that just plain didn't want to come off.

It was definately worth it and a great learning experience. I love the way it rides now, on and off road.
boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture6810-img00022.jpg

boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture12022-pics-blackberry-111.jpg

boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture12026-pics-blackberry-115.jpg

Since putting the lift on I've just tried to keep her running smoothly. Rebuilt the hubs (need to do the full front rebuild), new radiator and hoses, tune up, fuel system clean up, valve cover gasket...mostly "first-timer-mechanic" stuff. New stereo and speakers. Switched the passenger seat over to the driver's side. And built a box for the back for the camping and recovery gear. The box isn't done yet but is proving itself useful nonetheless.
boombapslappy-albums-fj62-storage-box-picture12891-2-16-10-161.jpg

There you have it. Just another "good ole cruiser" keeping it's owner happy. I love it as a DD. It still looks great and runs fine everyday.

As she sits now with 171k
boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture6807-img00019.jpg

About 2 weeks after buying the 62 and on the day I sold the 40.
boombapslappy-albums-three-picture2867-7-months-014.jpg

A couple more
boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture12019-pics-blackberry-105.jpg

boombapslappy-albums-misc-stuff-picture12021-pics-blackberry-109.jpg

Thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to adding more mods in the future, but until then we'll just keep having fun!

Good looking rig - like the wheels...

Thanks fellas. I know there's not much to see here but I sure love my cruisers ( the 62 and the 100). They're such a pleasure to drive. Hope you all have a great time with yours and truly appreciate them for what they are...a legendary, reliable vehicle!!!

Brock, it was nice to meet your 60 a few weeks ago. Oh yeah, nice to meet you too!

Nice clean rig. Looks and likely drives great. To bad you had to let the 40 go. Once you go wagon its tough to go back I think.

Nice clean rig. Looks and likely drives great. To bad you had to let the 40 go. Once you go wagon its tough to go back I think.

I agree with your sentiment;
I went backwards... I learned to drive in a 60 that my Dad and I rebuilt out of a wreck, then I sold it to get a 40, i must admit I have been without a 60 series for about three years now and really want another...

I like the wheels

so i have to ask, why did you go to the ultra heavy springs when you have no bumpers or any sort of weight that those springs were designed for. That thing prolly rides like a damn tank! hopefully you pulled a leaf or two out untill you have some actual weight.

so i have to ask, why did you go to the ultra heavy springs when you have no bumpers or any sort of weight that those springs were designed for. That thing prolly rides like a damn tank! hopefully you pulled a leaf or two out untill you have some actual weight.

All springs are as purchased. The ride is really great compared to the 20 year old suspension that came off. And, eventually it will have the bumpers.

That's a perfect stance! Would like to copy that exactly for my 60. Dig those wheels too!
:cheers:
Butt

Thanks! There is a very slight rake to the front but not as severe as most wagons I've seen.

All springs are as purchased. The ride is really great compared to the 20 year old suspension that came off. And, eventually it will have the bumpers.

Thanks! There is a very slight rake to the front but not as severe as most wagons I've seen.

you should pull the extra leaf out from the front and rear making it a medium / heavy set and if you think you like it now you will love it then, trust me. and you can always put the leafs back in when you get your bumpers, but honestly unless you are running a very large bumper and winch minimum i wouldnt even consider heavies. but thats just me.

I love the 40 style wheels!!! what a great looking stock style cruiser. Nice stance, clean look, way to go!!
x2 on the heavys !!!!
hows she ride?

boombapslappy, I like it! Nice wagon!

And, I GOTTA ask . . .

Where'd the name boombapslappy come from?

:D

you should pull the extra leaf out from the front and rear making it a medium / heavy set and if you think you like it now you will love it then, trust me.

I'll definately keep that in mind as it will be quite some time until I can afford anything else. Thanks!

Very nice rig. And I like the name too. ;)

I bought the 62 from a guy in Upstate Cruisers (we call him The Cuban.) This was his wife's dd. Hence the name...Ms. Cuban.

hows she ride?

It's a little bouncy from time to time, but compared to the tired suspension I took off, this rides very nicely.

boombapslappy, I like it! Nice wagon!

And, I GOTTA ask . . .

Where'd the name boombapslappy come from?

:D

I really wish there was a story behind it. It means nothing at all. I get PMs all the time asking the same thing. I guess I could make up a good story just for giggles.

Later tonight I'll post up the list of things to do...and maybe start thinking of a story behind boombapslappy. Y'all have a good day!

I always enjoy seeing your truck. Now we've just got to get you some armor so you can join the rest of the 60 clan in UC on the trail. :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom