Timbren Front and Rear Bump Stops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is another little project that I have been testing out. As some here know my truck weighs 6,100 lbs empty. Fully loaded almost 8,000lbs. I figured sooner or later I would break an axle bottoming out so I have been desperate to find a solution without having to install hydraulic bump stops.

I think I may have found the perfect setup (but not cheap) I bought the Timbren Rubber Spring setup to use for bump stops. They charged $460 for the front and rear. I could not believe how expensive they were but took the dive in. When I got the kit I immediately called Timbren to ask why they were so stiff. After I explained that I was not looking to support weight from a trailer or snow plow, they told me to install them anyway and if I did not like them they would send me a softer set. I tried them and then true to their word they replaced both sets with the softest compound they had. The new ones they sent are awesome. Super soft compound that compresses a total of 60%. I calculated where my rear shocks would bottom out and it should stop the travel about a 1/2" before the shock hits bottom. After a number of hard desert miles this weekend in Anza Borrego in some woops at pretty good speed I cannot say enough about this set up. Quite possibly my favorite mod for the price. I can thrash the truck and it just is butter smooth with no hard crashing into the stock bump stops. I also run 864 OME Springs that are pretty stiff but great for my application

Below are some pictures of the front and rear. I had to modify/cut the rear bracket a little because it was too close the springs.

For the front you replace only the rear stops on the lower front arms. I added some fender washers to drop it 3/8" to be sure it did not compress so much that the front OEM stop engaged too soon.
IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1597.jpg
IMG_1600.jpg

Where'd you get this idea? Genius! :flipoff2:

Glad it worked out for you.

Been thinking of the rear bumpstops as well, this seems like a great idea....and it looks like it came from Hoser, what a surpreez.

How's the compression at crawling speeds? I have to keep extended rear-stops to prevent my 35s from catching on things when only one side is compressed, but would love to regain the compression at speed. My first thought was to go smaller, but now this is another possible option? Let me know.

I could not tell any difference at slow speeds. As you can see there is several inches of room before this even engages, and I run 864 springs that are stiff. Even if it did engage it would only be if the rear dropped off a ledge, and then I would want a little extra cushion to prevent my shock from bottoming out or before slamming into the stock plastic bump stop.

As for high speed, it is crazy good. I measured my compression limit on the shock versus what Timbren said would be 60-70% max compression on this rubber spring so it should stop it just before calamity sets in. I ran it through some woops hard this weekend and for the first time heard nothing! Before it would have felt like something was going to break back there. If you look close you can see where the silver paint started to rub off a little on the top of the axle. I sprayed that there just to see if I had it centered correctly.

PM me if you want and I can give you the guy's name I spoke to who helped me at Timbren. Great service.

So I installed the rear Timbren bump stops Friday after getting them from Carl @ Just Diffs.

I had 2" extended bump stops to prevent my 35s from rubbing the inside of my fender but that really reduced the travel when going over whoops. Tested them out this weekend, and I couldn't even notice the rear bottoming out, it would just compress and keep on riding without slamming. Fantastic for the way I drive, both on and off road. I think I'll need to space them off the frame just a little to limit the travel so the tires dont hit the wheel well (Toyo M/Ts have large side lugs) but I'm really happy with them.

The rear axle has 3580+lbs riding on it, and when I hit whoops fast the axle just compresses the bump stop and then rebounds without feeling like I'm about to break off the axle.

Anyways, here's a pretty junk video but it shows how it works a little. I'll try and get some better video later this week. In the video I go over a drainage dip in the road at 30mph, way faster than I would have previously.

Picture of the Timbren stop next to my old setup, the 2" block with OEM bump stop.
IMG_0772.jpg

I'm also tempted to do the front now, with how well the rear rides.

Another video, no big dips, just video of the suspension driving around the block yesterday.

After hearing Loud yammer on about these all weekend it too think I will purchase a set when I go to 35s.

This is on my MUST HAVE list. I just looked for them on the Just Differentials site but did not see anything. Do you have to call and ask for them specifically?

I'm cool like that, I get unlisted items. :flipoff2: Just email/Call him.

Jon, get em even before the 35s, this isnt a 35 specific deal. It's a must IMO for driving with any speed offroad. I really wish I had this setup back when I was in NV. As you can see, I beat the OEM bumpstop out of shape by slamming down on it so many times.

Below is a picture of how much I trimmed off the Timbren mount to clear the springs. I probably could have cut another 1/4" off, but I tried to leave as much of the mount as possible. As you can see in DesertRuns pictures, it is close.

These arent a direct bolt in, but only require just a little bit of modification.
IMG_0769.jpg

When you are "crawling" it seems that new bumpstop would not compress to the height of the bumpstop that you removed. Will it? If not, aren't you running like a 3 inch bumpstop now, limiting travel, droop (whatever)?

thanks

So I installed the rear Timbren bump stops Friday after getting them from Carl @ Just Diffs.

I had 2" extended bump stops to prevent my 35s from rubbing the inside of my fender but that really reduced the travel when going over whoops. Tested them out this weekend, and I couldn't even notice the rear bottoming out, it would just compress and keep on riding without slamming. Fantastic for the way I drive, both on and off road. I think I'll need to space them off the frame just a little to limit the travel so the tires dont hit the wheel well (Toyo M/Ts have large side lugs) but I'm really happy with them.

The rear axle has 3580+lbs riding on it, and when I hit whoops fast the axle just compresses the bump stop and then rebounds without feeling like I'm about to break off the axle.

Anyways, here's a pretty junk video but it shows how it works a little. I'll try and get some better video later this week. In the video I go over a drainage dip in the road at 30mph, way faster than I would have previously.

Picture of the Timbren stop next to my old setup, the 2" block with OEM bump stop.

during rock crawling the springs never really get tested on the compression stroke anyway. The first few inches of compression are not affected. The next few are very subtle. These things help in the big hits you take occasionally. Now one of my top 3 mods.

I fully compressed one side this weekend, got out and checked it. Forgot to grab the camera though. Maybe tomorrow if the trail I run provides it.

BTW: After I got my LC back from the rear shock mod I have a rather rude binding/metal on metal noise...sorta like a shock bottoming out. But it rears its ugly head, so to speak, on speed bumps, driveway, etc. In other words not much required to induce the noise.

So I poured over the rear end thinking something was wrong with the shock side of the equation but discovered the shop reverse mounted my rear Timbrens :rolleyes: so that my cut side faced out towards the tire instead of towards the coil spring where the clearance is required.

YES: REQUIRED. You NEED to be sure you cut the mount as Loud and DesertRun have depicted or you will have coil spring and Timbren mount bracket interference/contact at some point in the rear suspension cycle.

No big deal...but leaves me wondering why Timbren just doesn't cut the inside bracket off as well as extend the mounting slots (die grinder took care of that...so you can get the Timbren mounted over the axle housing at full compression); they are probably just unaware of what is needed. Joel: You must have been the very first sale for Timbren for the 100-Series!

At least 60% compression on the soft Timbren...probably more based on what I saw on mine...

Last edited:
A photo for the doubting thomases :D
Timbren to coil interference.jpg

I'm always up for a good deal. And I buy plenty of stuff from Amazon.com; but AFAIK there are not differentiating part #'s that correspond to the different available durometer bumps. So beware.

And AFAIK Amazon hasn't offered advice for us here in the 100-Series forum. Carl has and does (along with many others deserving of our patronage) along with being a supporting vendor for 'MUD. Sometimes you do get what you pay for ;)

I'm always up for a good deal. And I buy plenty of stuff from Amazon.com; but AFAIK there are not differentiating part #'s that correspond to the different available durometer bumps. So beware.

And AFAIK Amazon hasn't offered advice for us here in the 100-Series forum. Carl has and does (along with many others deserving of our patronage) along with being a supporting vendor for 'MUD. Sometimes you do get what you pay for ;)

Well Stated :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom