Builds Project HAZARD DUTY LX450 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, I have been meaning order the correct sealant. My local Lowes doesn't have it.

could not find the stuff to fix the window locally. So I ordered it on Amazon and went ahead and ordered a few boxed of sound deadner.

I could not find it either. I looked a few other places yesterday. Guess I'll hit up Amazon as well.

Yeah, I looked at the local ACE and Lowes. They did not have it in blaick.
I already needed some DYNAMAT so I figured I would order from AMAZON.

I already have some LIZARD SKIN heat and noise "putty" it can be sprayed or rolled.
I also have 2 rolls of FATMAT sound deadner.
With the addition of the DYNAMAT I ordered I should have enough for my next project.

The plan is to begin striping the interior. With the window leaking on the floor boards and carpet since I dont know when I wanted to pull it out and give it a good p ressure washing.
I also want to inspect underneath the carpet to ensure the water has not caused any damage.
Once the carpet is out I am going to clean up everything real good.
Once it is all cleaned I will brush on the lizard skin mostly up near the fire wall, front driver and passenger floor boards, and the tranny tunnel. If there is any left over I will do the rear floor boards.

I will use the FATMAT to line the inside of the doors (outer skin). I will then do as much of the floorboards over the lizard skin.

Hopefully the 2 rolls of FATMAT will give me one layer.
I will then use the DYNAMAT to add a second layer in the front area and work my way back.

The plan was to start gutting the interior on Friday after being gone for the last week for work.

Unfortanetly I heard a water leak behind my master bathroom and spent the rest of the weekend fixing it.

The cool part is that I did not call a plumber and pay him what would have been well over a grand to fix. By doing it myself I was able to save some cash so now I have some more mod money.

:beer:

i have never used Lizardskin but have done a 55 and my 80 with a combo of Dynamat, Fatmat rattle trap, Damplifier pro and Spectrum and Spectrum Sludge and Firewall which has ceramic properties.
With the second skin products they recommend applying all the coatings on top of the Dynamat/Fatmat...
It might have have something to do with the mat sticking to the coatings... I would check with Lizardskin unless you already know the answer

Spectrum Sludge Firewall with ceramic

attachment.php

Spectrum Sound Deadener

attachment.php

80 doors ..inside of the outer panel and the inside panel with Fatmat and Spectrum Sound Deadener

attachment.php

Lou

Last edited:
My windshield also leaked and I opted for the new front glass for one reason...My old glass was not tinted no UV protection and wasn't very clear from micro pitting ..do to age... The new glass is fantastic and you can't see the blue sun band from the side..so it would not take away the LX look

Lou

Just went in the garage.

I dont have Lizard Skin.

I have ALs Liner

It is both heat and noise reducer in one. I will have to find out the instructions on wether to put it on first or after the sound deadner now that you mention it.

When I asked around about wind shield gasket replacement the two shops in town could only get "blue glass" the tone of the glass is slightly blue, there is also "Green Glass"windshilelds obvioulsy these have a green tone. My LX has the "Bronze Windshield. they could not get it it in that color. They would not do it with out ordering a replacement glass "just in case"
Hopefully I can get it to stop leaking with the polyurethane stuff I ordered.

Last edited:
From Al's website....really doesn't answer the question but they are recommending Applying Al's liner on top of the HNR which is what secondskin told me... that i could shot a bed liner on top of the sound deadener

Application of Al's Liner HNR

Al's HNR can be applied with a brush, roller or spray guns including the Al's Texture/Spray Gun, HVLP with 3mm spray nozzle and undercoating guns,(air pressures vary depending on the type of gun you use). For best results apply with the Al's Texture/Spray Gun at 31 mil thickness in order to get the full benefits of HNR.

For the ultimate interior heat reducer and sound deadener or undercoating, apply the recommended base coat of Al's HNR and top coat with Al's Liner (using the supplied adhesion promoter), the results will amaze you at a price that can't be beat.

Clean up is simple, wash all application equipment and clean up any overspray or spill areas with soap and water. Please contact your Al's Representative for more information.

I have been pretty busy but did manage to caulk the windshield. I waited a few days and took it through the touchless carwash today.
No leaks.
Hopefully it lasts. either way I have another tube of the balck polyurethane roof stuff and will just recaulk it as necessary.

Now to find time to strip and dynamat the interior.

I really want to order some sliders for the 450. I think I am leaning towards Slee offroad.

I know I cant go wrong with that brand. I need a slider that will offer protection as well as a step to aid in getting into the vehicle.
If anybody has any suggestions let me know.

Del

Del, I just saw your thread. Funny, you were talking about a LX450 for DD, but also for overlanding Central and South America in the future. When I saw the picture, I had to smile. Exactly the same model and color as I have, and we are overlanding through South America at the moment :)

But are you sure you want to keep it as stock as possible? See this one:

I saw that video a few days ago.

I say I want to keep it stock but that never ends up being the case.

I am planning a small road trip this weekend with my family to test out the LX.
I want to take some field notes and figure out what I really need as opposed to what I want to have.

no rain finally,

Was driving back from the beach and could definitely hear the sound of the road through the floor board. The weather was nice enough so I decided to pull the interior and sound proof the floor boards.

This is not the complete job. I am limited on time because I am scheduled to leave the country for the rest of the year for work. I figured I will do it in stages I just did stage 1 and stage 2 and 3 will be done when I get back. I still have to do the roof and doors. The Roof will be done when I delete the stock roof rack, stage 2 and the doors will be done when I upgrade the speakers, stage 3.

If I have enough time I will do both of those together.

either way here are some pictures.
The 450 was pretty dang clean. for being as old as it is

striped

First layer

The first layer is mainly to try to cover most of the floor board with thinner and cheaper material, i believe its called hush mat.

I will hit some areas with a second layer with the Dynamat extreme, which is alot thicker and way more expensive.

The second layer with the thicker dynamat extreme was used in the

rear quater panels, and wheel humps, which is where most of your road noise will come from since it is right above the tires

passenger rear and front floor boards

driver side front and rear

here is another picture of the rear passenger side finished

By the way while I was working on the interior I laid out the carpet and sprayed it with RESOLVE carpet foam cleaner and then sprayed all the visible stains with RESOLVE carpet stain cleaner

I was going to pressure wash it but my pressure washer is not working due to sitting for a long time and this s***ty fuel we now have. - On a side note I did find a place in my small town that sells ethanol free gas so hopefully all my tools and equipment last a little longer when I stop using this crappy fuel.
I was going to use AL's heat and noise LINER but I just did not have the time. I am not too worried about the heat on this vehicle. I originally bought the stuff to use on the floor boards for my FJ40 because that one needed it.

I just drove the LX450 into town and it is noticeably quieter.

I know it will get quieter once I do the doors. too bad I am out of sound deadner or else I could probably get them done tonight since the weather is looking nice again today.

A quick question, while working on the interior I noticed that my lights are pretty damn dim. I did a little research and saw people have swapped them out with LED lights and it makes a big difference.

Where is the recommended place to buy these LED lights?
Do they come in a pack specifically for the LX450/80 or do I have to buy them individually?

This would be a quick and simple mod I can do before I leave and would be helpfull for the wife and kids.

thanks

LUKE
Thanks for the info, by the way I read your build thread the other day. You have done some very nice modifications and improvements to your vehicle. I am more likely going to steal some of your ideas.

LUKE Thanks for the info, by the way I read your build thread the other day. You have done some very nice modifications and improvements to your vehicle. I am more likely going to steal some of your ideas. :beer:

That's what this forum is all about:)

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom