Builds Project HAZARD DUTY LX450 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's something you dont hear too often on mud

"The LX450 will save me considerable amount of money on gas as well". :hillbilly:

Nice LX cant wait to see your build on it.

Since I bought the LX I have had a slight pull to the right and a but of a shake at around 75 mph. I knew it was the tires mainly becasue I have had that issue on other vehicles and it went away with new tires.

The tires on the LX are fairly brand new. I googled the name and found excelent ratings for the best cheap tire you can buy.

Well there is no way I am going to skimp on tires with my family in the car.
somebody once told me that there are three things not to go cheap on. breaks, seat belts, and tires. makes sense to me.

I called up Discount tire during the week and they happen to have the tires I wanted for a very reasonable price.

I went in today and got 5 285/75-16 BFGOODRICH AT tires.

Here are some pics-
At discount
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/shooter6577/media/LX450/IMG_1652_zpsc56c34e1.jpg.html

http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/shooter6577/media/LX450/IMG_1651_zpsc0e1f9a1.jpg.html

http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/shooter6577/media/LX450/IMG_1650_zpsd8dd2c39.jpg.html

here are a couple of pictures I took in the driveway
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/shooter6577/media/LX450/IMG_9492_zps8558ebb6.jpg.html

http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/shooter6577/media/LX450/IMG_9486_zpsb0a6e35e.jpg.html

I have the 6.0 powerstroke
Diesel is about $4.00 a gallon. I get about 12mpg. I fill up $100 a week when I drive it all week.
For the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been filling up the 450 at around $80ish a week and still get to drive it on the weekends without having to fill it up.

I dont know why but I dont like to put mileage on my truck. It has done 7 cross country trips since I have owned it if not it would still have less than 50k miles and it is an 07.

I just assumed diesels did better on mps's in 3/4 ton pickups.

Welcome to the forum. Your 40 is an incredible machine, I look forward to seeing what you do with the LX. Thanks for your service.

Jon

Welcome to the forum. Your 40 is an incredible machine, I look forward to seeing what you do with the LX. Thanks for your service.

Jon

DEVILDOG

assuming that with that name you have served a day or two,so you know there is no need to thank me.

I love the 40 it was my introduction to landcruisers. the sad reality is that our family has outgrown the 40 so there is no logic to keep pumping money into it. especially since I know that I wont get it back now that Im trying to sell it. the 450 is easy for my wife to drive and she looks forward to driving it when I leave again. Ideally I can sell the 40 before I leave and use the money to buy parts while Im gone and just install them once I get back.

'04 6.0 here....

Before I forget....

Welcome to the uber exclusive Pink Panty 80 Club. :flipoff2:

Sir,
Thanks for the warm welcome. :flipoff2::beer:

window leak question

So here is my first 80 section question.
My windshield is leaking. the previous owner gave me a new windshield gasket because he knew the windshield was leaking.

I have tried to get the new gasket put in by two local window shops and none have had the balls to change it without me buying a new windshield. They keep claiming that the windshield will break so I might as well buy a new one. of course they dont have windhields with the right tint. they only have blue ones, my 450 has bronze colored windshield, and I am no way going to buy it from toyota for $1000.00 more.

How hard is the new gasket to install?

are the window shops right? will the windshield break pretty easily?

Is this something I can do? if I can take my time and cut the old gasket?

any experience, and information with this subject would be greatly appreciated.

about to hit the search button

Thanks

find a really old school auto windshield shop - you'd probably get the best recommendations from classic car restorers in your area

in my case, the recommendation actually came from a local Toyota dealer - your experience may vary :cheers:

I just got back from being away for work for the last week.
While I was gone I let my wife drive the 450. Well, now we have a big issue with the 450. It happened while I was gone. I never read anything about it on the FAQ section so I blame fellow cruisers for not warning me.

My wife loves the 450 and I dont know how to get it back from here!

I just feel like a little warning would have been nice have from my fellow cruisers.
She never really got into driving the 40 but defenitly loves the 450.

So, I guess I'm now going to be in the market for yet another 80/450. Maybe I wi give the 100/470 a chance.

Tech:
I still haven't changed my windshield gasket. I really can't find a shop willing to do it.
I wander if I could just do it myself. Any tips?

As far as the windshield I had mine replaced by safelite not too far back. Two guys showed up and I would say it is definitively a two man job. If your windshield is installed per factory specs with sealant on both sides of the gasket it will be a real bear to get out without damage.

I think your best bet is to skip the new gasket and just try to seal what you have. Do a quick search on fixing a leaking windshield. There is a recent thread. Seems like most of them leak on the passenger side front corner. That's where I had a problem with my old windshield (also had a crack) and had to call Safelite out twice on the new windshield. I think they finally got enough sealant in there to stop the leak.

Definitely worth trying to seal the windshield. Mine was leaking when I bought it, applied sealer per the thread on here and has been leak free for a couple years now.

If it's leaking why not try and use the 3M marine sealant trick first? Why go thru changing the gasket?

And I would go to a body shop about the windshield if you really want to do it that way. If they specialize in older cars even better. You can't get new windshields for some of them ;)

I've seen what looks like two handles and a wire saw used to cut the windshield gasket. It doesn't muck with the glass but cuts thru rubber and adhesive. Then you just scrape off the residual on the glass and the channel.

I injected sealant between the gasket and windshield (on the outside) two years ago, and it has worked perfectly. I used a black sealant, Suggested by someone on this site and an hour or so later it was over; tape off the glass & wear rubber gloves to make cleanup easier. Easiest repair I have done thus far. Wc

6" lift and 37" meats and she might despise the sight of it in the driveway....

Del. I'm gonna have to say this is your best option. Give the 470 to your wife.

On the windshield. Body shop is a good bet. If you get someone to do it do make sure the Installer agrees to seal both sides of the gasket (Glass and body). Most will say its not necessary but it is FSM spec. If you want to tackle it I believe fireman posted the roofing urethane fix. I need to do the same.

Edit. Here it is. Firetrucks thread.
Oops. Try that again.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/328597-how-fix-your-leaky-windshield.html

Last edited:
When I did the 7 pin mod think it was in 2007, I saw some surface rust on the body under the carpet around/under the dead pedal. I assume it was from a leak around the windshield on the driver side. Haven't looked at it again.

The leak is in the two bottom corners of the be windshield. very easy to spot in Florida rain. I will read through the fix it thread and hipefully I can find the right type of silicone sealant and seal it myself.

By the way. my windows were very slow going up. I sprayed some WD40 on the window rails and they are twice as fast now. Not sure if anybody else has tried that but thought I would mention it. took me about 1 minute to do.

37" is going to be a no go on this vehicle. For now I am going to be disciplined and not going to lift it or get taller than the 285/75-16s I just bought.

I am going to get some other goodies for the 450 and improve on it but going to try to keep it as stock as possible.

I will start looking for another one for the old lady. I will have to sell her H3 before I can purchase her landcruiser. Maybe I can convince her to trade it in for a 200. we will see how this pans out.

Jason,
Thanks for the link

:beer:

Mine leaks from the same area. Not too bad, but after a down pour like we got last night you can see some seepage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom