Builds Project HAZARD DUTY LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SFROMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello,
I am new to the 80 section I have been on mud for a few years because I own a 69 FJ40 and a 78 FJ55.

The 40 is my pride and joy but with 3 kids it is a very tight fit. We take it to the beach on weekends and go wheeling near our house but there is just not enough room for us.

I purchased a FJ55 thinking I would restore it and wheel it. Well the 55 is a rust bucket, I hate dealing with rust and this thing is pretty far gone. The 55 will now become strictly a trail rig and will be used to practice my welding and fabbing skills.

That still left me with a need for a 4 door vehicle that I could daily drive and use as a designated camping rig.

I plan to do alot of traveling in central and south america once Uncle Sugar releases me in a few years.

I have been looking for about 2 years off and on for the right rig.

Finally about 3 weeks ago I found the right one.

ENTER
my new to me 1997 Lexus LX450 "PROJECT HAZARD DUTY"

Last edited:
The LX450 is super clean.
It has 157,000 miles and not factory locked.

I have been reading the frequently Asked questions section for the last month.

I needed to baseline the vehicle so I started with all the fluids.

First was the Tranny flush

The Trans fluid was in very good condition. could not tell the difference between the new and old stuff. still went ahead and replaced the fluid with 5 gallons/ 20 quarts.

Flushed the power steering fluid. It was a little dark but over all in good shape. replaced fluid with 1 gallon/4 quarts

The front diff was brand new but changed it any way. The rear was a little on the dark side but not bad at all.

Still have to order
toyota parts
air filter
plugs
plug wires
brakes front and rear

The only other thing I have done is changed the wipers and added mats in the interior.

The weather has been sucking here in Florida since I bought it and I work from sun up to sundown so I havent had a chance to do as much as I want.

Last edited:
About the name

Project HAZARD DUTY

My plates should say part of the story.

I have a very cool and unique job. I have been deployed ALOT since the war started more than 10 years ago. Getting blown up and shot up has never stopped me from heading back over.

Where I work we need to perform in the worse conditions possible. We need to be prepared for what ever gets thrown our way and be able to get the job done in different types of environments and different types of situations.

I want this vehicle to be versatile in all elements, and reliable.
I am gone 6 to 9 months out of the year so my wife will be driving it while I am gone. So it has to be a safe grocery getter. When I am home it has to be my daily driver.

It will be replacing my F250 as our long road trip vehicle, since they both have the room to carry the family in comfort. The LX450 will save me considerable amount of money on gas as well.

here is a pic of the F250 (if it is against the rules I can remove it)

I will detail the plans for the Lexus in another post.

Last edited:
nice color LX :cheers: welcome

Welcome! Where in Florida are you?

That's a nice looking LX!

Future plans:

I am going to mount 285/75/16s on Friday. I will go ahead and mount one on the spare while im at it. The 450 has new tires but I want to go to a slightly bigger size and I really like the BFG ATs.

I am waiting for the weather to clear up so I can strip the interior and completly sound deaden the interior. I did this to my F250 and it really quieted down.

I obvioulsy still have to finish doing the maintenance on the rig to ensure it is running at optimal level.

I wont be in the states for the rest of the year but when I get back I plan to add
2.5 lift
front bumper
rear bumper
dual battery
sliders
new leather for the interior ( even though the current one is in very good shape)

and I am sure the list will continue

Nice looking rig!! Very clean

Thank you Sir.

nice color LX :cheers: welcome

I really like the color also. Honestly though, I was looking for a dark color. This color will be easier to keep clean though, especially since the old lady will not wash it when I am gone 6 to 9 months out of the year. haha

Welcome! Where in Florida are you?

That's a nice looking LX!

Sir,
I am stationed on Eglin Airforce Base near Fort Walton Beach.

What's up Del? Good to see you over in 80s tech.

You seem to be starting quite the collection :D and the pig sounds just like mine. A learning opportunity at its finest. Thanks again for all your do for us and our country. Stay safe and bring that thing back up to NC for a ride with us soon. Oh and the super duty looks great too.

(Still wish i grabbed that 101 from you)

I really like the color also. Honestly though, I was looking for a dark color. This color will be easier to keep clean though, especially since the old lady will not wash it when I am gone 6 to 9 months out of the year. haha

dude, first of all, a lady is never old, capiche :doh: :rolleyes: especially not your own lady :bang:

second: washing is highly overrated :hillbilly:

thirdly, make sure she drives it at least once a month for a good distance - the security alarm has a small constant drain on the battery ;) (don't ask me how I know :mad:)

DEL! Great to see you got an 80, and a beauitful one at that! Congratulations on it, and based on the work you did on your 40 I am sure the 80 will be a stunner!

For those reading along, Del is one of our true heroes. Del, thanks for all you and your family have given in service to our country.

What's up Del? Good to see you over in 80s tech.

You seem to be starting quite the collection :D and the pig sounds just like mine. A learning opportunity at its finest. Thanks again for all your do for us and our country. Stay safe and bring that thing back up to NC for a ride with us soon. Oh and the super duty looks great too.

(Still wish i grabbed that 101 from you)

Jason, whats up man?

I was supposed to be back in NC for a few months starting last month but my wife got sick so I had to cancel my trip up there. Not many cruiserheads down here in Florida where I live.

I keep wanting to make it to an ONSC event but I keep missing them by a week every time.
Missed the last 2 LOGAN run by a week
Missed the last 2 christmas parties by a week.

I wanted to go out to MOAB with Mike and John but missed that by a week also.

Eventually I will be allowed to put in for vacation. maybe next year.

DEL! Great to see you got an 80, and a beauitful one at that! Congratulations on it, and based on the work you did on your 40 I am sure the 80 will be a stunner!

For those reading along, Del is one of our true heroes. Del, thanks for all you and your family have given in service to our country.

Yeah Im pretty stoked about finding one in good shape. I cant wait to start the transformation.

No need to thank me for anything. You can thank my recruiter though. haha

I gotta ask, just how bad is the mpg on your Super Duty for the FZJ80 to be an upgrade on fuel mileage? Does it have the V10?

Nice looking LX.

I gotta ask, just how bad is the mpg on your Super Duty for the FZJ80 to be an upgrade on fuel mileage? Does it have the V10?

Nice looking LX.

I have the 6.0 powerstroke
Diesel is about $4.00 a gallon. I get about 12mpg. I fill up $100 a week when I drive it all week.
For the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been filling up the 450 at around $80ish a week and still get to drive it on the weekends without having to fill it up.

I dont know why but I dont like to put mileage on my truck. It has done 7 cross country trips since I have owned it if not it would still have less than 50k miles and it is an 07.

Oh damn, 4 motors. That sucks. Too bad ford lost quality when they dropped the 7.3 Powerstroke. I am getting 15-17mpg average with a 80hp economy tune by DP tuner in my 7.3L. Those 6.BLOW motors was the worst thing Ford could have done. One neg. on the 7.3 is that it's LOUD.
Poor man....

I get 12MPGs in my F350 that's on it's 4th 6.0L, unloaded or with my LX in the bed, the only plus.

To the OP..... Super clean LEXO. Nice find. Sounds like your going to have a sweet rig after your future plans. Good luck with your build. Thank you for your service overseas!!

I know there is alot of talk of the 6.0 not being the best diesel engine. People are probably right. My truck is an 07, the last year of the 6.0 and maybe they had already fixed all the issues with it.

My F250 has never let me down. It pulls like a tractor and rides like a cadilac. Those tires are HEAVY. 35 inch TOYOS on military style bead locks. I pretty sure the combo is over 200 pounds each. Even then I can tow my FJ40 all day and still have the same amount of gas mileage. like I said it has gotten my family and I across the country a few times over the years with no issues.

Of course this is a Land cruiser site so enough talk about my Ford and back to talking about Land cruisers. haha

:beer:

I am stationed on Eglin Airforce Base near Fort Walton Beach.

That is awesome! When you get back give me a holler. I live very close and go wheeling on the AFB reservation often. I will be following your thread.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom