Hard top weather stripping project (measurements needed) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mike, the top rail stuff is from Pep boys. They have two versions of the camper top stripping. One is 8 bucks and one is 19. I went with the higher density 19 dollar stuff. This is important because it can be cut and shapped for all of the small areas that let air in, like around the pole, and at the top where the cap bolts to the windshield frame

Grn Rvr.
I went Factory toyota for the front and rear doors. Those haskets around the ambulance doors are so intricate that I think you want the real deal. Though the generic adhesive backed weather stripping that was on these doors when I got them looked like it sealed well everywhere but the latch. I get emplyee pricing at Toyota so it costs me an arm, nust not an arm and a leg.

I'm coming up on 2 years since putting the hard top on. I just removed the hard top for the first time and this stuff looks pristine. It also held on tightly when I tool the hard top off and left the stripping on. There was also no marking on the paint underneath. I am not sure If I would up posting this, but I use the V shaper garage door weather stripping for the hard top to windshield frame padding. This sealed well for wind, rain , etc. I forgot to take it off when I went for my first topless drive and it blew off a mile down the road. Lucky I pulled a U-turn and grabbed it. $5 crisis averted!

Does anyone know if the premium camper tape is still available? It looks like it is part number 3549 but I cant seem to find it on their website and have no pep boys locally.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the premium camper tape is still available? It looks like it is part number 3549 but I cant seem to find it on their website and have no pep boys locally.

Thanks!

Sorry to bump an old thread. I am getting ready for a hardtop addition to my cruiser and wanted to know two things: 1. Fjsnoozer, is the foam still working out for you? 2. has anyone been able to find any of the #3549? I can find #3550, but not 49 online.

I have seen the same product at Autozone and OReilys. Don't know the part #'s but they both carry the crimp on and flat camper foam.

Is there any info on whether this is closed-cell foam?

Bump of an old thread. I also went to pep boys, autozone and oreilly for 10' of this $29 weatherstripping. Only place I found with it in store was advance auto. Different brand but looks and secures the same
Pics shown below for anyone looking to replicate the method of FJsnoozer. Pics taken before the trimming of the rear weatherstrip "bulb" piece to mimic the CCOT pictures

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

Bump of an old thread. I also went to pep boys, autozone and oreilly for 10' of this $29 weatherstripping. Only place I found with it in store was advance auto. Different brand but looks and secures the same
Pics shown below for anyone looking to replicate the method of FJsnoozer. Pics taken before the trimming of the rear weatherstrip "bulb" piece to mimic the CCOT pictures

View attachment 1694951

View attachment 1694952

View attachment 1694953

View attachment 1694954
This is good stuff! Glad to see this thread is still going, and @marketShark, looks like you found a great addition to the collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom