FJ40 Full Floater Axle Build (IH8C-CLIPS) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome. Go drive it!!

And... DONE!
20160531_223833.jpg
20160531_223947.jpg
20160531_223910.jpg

Epic!

P

Hm...Bad ideas brewing, but it seem like a pair of FJ60 long side inners could be used with IFS hubs to make a centered rear full floater of about the same width. Not to hijack, but would anyone have a good reason why that wouldn't work? It'd obviously need seals inside the diff housing.

Nice work.

Sorry if I missed it, but how did you end up addressing the 3/16" gap (if I remember your measurements correctly) between the slug and the cap? Did you end up having a snap ring groove machined in the hub, or did you use a spacer of some sort?

Nice work.

Sorry if I missed it, but how did you end up addressing the 3/16" gap (if I remember your measurements correctly) between the slug and the cap? Did you end up having a snap ring groove machined in the hub, or did you use a spacer of some sort?

LOL, good catch... you didn't miss it. I didn't do anything. I'm running it as is, for now. I did have RCV machine a snap ring groove into the shaft. It has about 1/8" of play in the shaft to slug teeth and the slug has the 3/16" gap, but the splines are a tight enough fit that they don't slide freely in and out. I have to use two bolts to pull the shaft and slug out of the hub as a unit.
I drove it about 30 miles round trip to and from our club meeting last night on very twisty roads with no issues. It was quiet and the cap stayed on, so I'm going to see how that works for now and if something happens, I'll address it then.
It seems to me that it will take some serious force to knock that retaining snap ring and cap off and I just don't forsee developing enough lateral force in 3/8 of an inch to knock the cap off.
I discussed the issue with somebody who's a lot smarter then me regarding axles and we agreed that the shaft and drive slug will probably find a happy medium somewhere in between something less than 3/8 of an inch.

Last edited:
Make sure and add some celebratory "in use" shots as they come so we can verify your success!

Pete

Hi all,

Awesome project Stump! Congrats on finishing it and having the rig back on the road! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

Hi all,

Awesome project Stump! Congrats on finishing it and having the rig back on the road! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

Thanks Alan! It is pretty satisfying, I must admit. I hope this modification significantly reduces the possibility of snapping another rear axle.

Nice thread. I have blown spider gears by towing 10000 pound trailer. I think I should invest into a full floater. I was going to go with the 80 series rear end. its 6 inches wider, but have 2" of wheel spacers in the rear already so.... I think it would be perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom