any builds with a fj40/45 and a toyota v8 ? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Idk about an fj40, but I'm stuffing a 1uz into a stout here pretty soon.

It shouldn't be much worse than any LS or SBC swap I would assume. I would bet the hardest part will be the standalone for the toyota. Not as much support out there compared to gm.

I put a 2uz in an FJ45. If you are just hoping to swap the drivetrain from a Sequioa, I think there will be some additional challenges trying to use the Sequoia transfercase. IMO to get the optimal fit for a 2uz in a 40/45 you will want to consider ditching the sequioa transmission and transfer case in favor of a Land Cruiser transmission transfer case combination that mounts to the 2uz.

If you do go with the 2UZ from a Sequoia it will probably have the A340 depending on the year. I do not think the 80 series Transfer Case bolts to the A340. It will bolt to the A750 which is the 100 series landcruiser. If you want better gearing go the A340 with an Atlas 4 speed or a behemoth transfer case, you can also add the crawl box to it. You will need an adapter from Advance Adapter and a spud shaft. So far my setup is work great, crawl ratio is 120:1 with 40's and 4:88 gears.

Northwest Toys has conversion stuff for 2UZ engines which should make it pretty easy

I am debating between doing a 2F Sniper, 2UZ, and a 1HD-FT in my FJ40.
If I Were to do the 2UZ route, NW Toys is where I'd order my parts from.

+2 NW toys Northwest Toys performance parts for Toyota trucks - https://www.northwesttoysllc.com/

I wish more Toyota owners would go the Toyota V8 route. They are awesome engines

I wish Toyota would offer the UZ (or the UR, or the GR) as a stand alone, ready to run, crate motor. I'd be happy to pay a 15% premium vs an LS3 for something like that. Sadly, the closest they came to that was the Lexus marine engines and Toyota decided to discontinue that and had the remaining stock on hand scrapped.

As it is, I have to decide how much my 2000 Tundra w/ 200k miles on it is worth to me as a pickup truck vs parting it out to swap into my FJ40... Then pay as much for the conversion parts as I could get a lower mileage junkyard LS and pre-terminated wiring harness to get it ready to drop in for.

I very recently had a chance at a 2uz($400)for sale in my local area and passed because I was planning a 2FE build in my Pig and I have all those parts already. Still I should have bought the damn thing! Kicking myself! Thing had under 100k too😭

What bellhousing did you use?
Dellow Conversions?
I bought a complete 100 series bellhousing, milled off 1" from the trans end, made a 1" thick aluminum plate with the H55f pattern, centered and had it welded to the bell. It uses all the 100 series 300mm clutch parts. Has been working great! For the install I swapped the motor mounts left to right and then the pads lay flat on the frame instead of at a 45* angle. I did space the rear of the mount up 3/8" so it wasn't in a bind on the slope of the frame. I will see if I have any pictures.

IMG_20210630_203454801.jpg

I bought a complete 100 series bellhousing, milled off 1" from the trans end, made a 1" thick aluminum plate with the H55f pattern, centered and had it welded to the bell. It uses all the 100 series 300mm clutch parts. Has been working great! For the install I swapped the motor mounts left to right and then the pads lay flat on the frame instead of at a 45* angle. I did space the rear of the mount up 3/8" so it wasn't in a bind on the slope of the frame. I will see if I have any pictures.

Do you have a build thread?

My build is a 1uz vvti on a stretched 2nd gen 4runner chassis with FJ45 body work.

Currently running the stock ECU and a650, but planning on going aftermarket ECU and a340 in the near future.

I drive it every day. Absolutely love my 1uz.
20230903_122139.jpg

20230906_154752.jpg

I wish Toyota would offer the UZ (or the UR, or the GR) as a stand alone, ready to run, crate motor. I'd be happy to pay a 15% premium vs an LS3 for something like that. Sadly, the closest they came to that was the Lexus marine engines and Toyota decided to discontinue that and had the remaining stock on hand scrapped.

As it is, I have to decide how much my 2000 Tundra w/ 200k miles on it is worth to me as a pickup truck vs parting it out to swap into my FJ40... Then pay as much for the conversion parts as I could get a lower mileage junkyard LS and pre-terminated wiring harness to get it ready to drop in for.
That would be great, but don’t be intimidated by Toyota’s wiring. I have done multiple UZ swaps vvti and non. Early UZ engines are incredibly easy to wire. 7 wires give or take. These engines are very cheap and plentiful. For a vvti swap I would probably have a donor vehicle if you havent done one before. My vvti swap was from a gs400 to an is300, but wiring is wiring. About 40-50 wires to contend with.

My current FJ40 project will either have a 1uz or a 5vz with a snail.

That would be great, but don’t be intimidated by Toyota’s wiring. I have done multiple UZ swaps vvti and non. Early UZ engines are incredibly easy to wire. 7 wires give or take. These engines are very cheap and plentiful. For a vvti swap I would probably have a donor vehicle if you havent done one before. My vvti swap was from a gs400 to an is300, but wiring is wiring. About 40-50 wires to contend with.

My current FJ40 project will either have a 1uz or a 5vz with a snail.

This. I did all my own wiring. Yes I had a donor car, but I hacked that loom up so much its pretty much a new one. And it will be a completely new one when I wire in an aftermarket ECU.

Basically, don't be scared of the wiring on a 1uz. If you can wire headlights, you can wire a 1uz. Just follow the wiring diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom