FJ40 Full Floater Axle Build (IH8C-CLIPS) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You do nice work , sir!

Thank you, sir! Though I seem to always seem to blow my timeline... perhaps it would be different if I got paid to do this stuff...

Axle build passed the test:

image-jpeg.1291182

ncm_9949-jpg.1292286

ncm_9946-jpg.1292285

thanks for putting this thread together! I just bought a spare rear end today to build a FF out of.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. Also, check out Front Range Off Road (FROR). They, apparently, recently released their FJ40 FF kit.

Now you rear axle is wider, do the tires rub the quarter panels under full flex? You have fj60 springs right?

The axle is slightly wider, but the rim BS is 4" so I am only 1/2" wider in the rear, when measured from the outside of each tire. 72.5" in the front with 1.25" spacers on the stock 40 axle and 73" in the rear with no spacers. I have no rubbing on the wheel wells and no rubbing on the outside of the fender either. I just got lucky with the bumpstop length. I actually rubbed the inside of the wheel well with 35's mounted on 3.25 BS America Racing rims.
Yes, 60 series springs.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. Also, check out Front Range Off Road (FROR). They, apparently, recently released their FJ40 FF kit.

About the Front Range kit, how is that cost compare to yours? Based on your axle shaft cost and the flanges...is it close?

It looks like the FROR kit comes with the brackets, axle shafts, and axle seal holder and seal for $799. That is comparable in price to what I pieced together. My brackets with seal holders and marlin seals fron 4plus (@lcwizard ) was $190 shipped and the RCV 4340 axles were $619 shipped, so $809.
I don't know who makes the axles for FROR, or if they have a lifetime warranty like RCV, so that is something to consider.
But, tha convenience of a bolt on bracket is pretty awesome IMHO.
You should get 'em and post up a build/review thread. :grinpimp:

The axle is still going strong, but I will add a public service announcement:

Check your Ubolts after your 1st day or 2 wheeling, then periodically thereafter. Otherwise, you WILL shear a spring center pin. I heard a thumping from the passenger side and asked someone what that sound was. He said "It's your tire rubbing on the leading edge of the rear fender". I said "Thant's not right, the tires never get close to the front of the fender..." Lo and behold, the axle was waaay cockeyed. We secured the axle to a tree with a tow strap and drove the axle back into place. The ubolt nuts were finger tight!:doh:
I think I under torqued mine to begin with. I am using 5/8" ubolts and they should have been torqued to at least 120lbft. I went to 130lbft and will make checking them part of my prerun checklist along with knuckle and hub studs.

Oh, yeah, 10mm hex cap bolts fit perfectly in the RuffStuff spring perches. I had to round over a nylock nut to fit in the ubolt plate as well.

20161120_170016.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom