Old and New: 5.7 Vortec to 6.0 LS Swap, ‘69 FJ40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I get the feeling that you have lost a charge or two?

I thought that my hookups on the evaporator were AN fittings. I installed the 90* (AN?) to o-ring fittings that came with the kit and I was thinking about removing them and running the line straight to the evaporator.
Oh no, I was referring to the fact that the heater core uses #10 AC fittings. It doesn’t make sense on a heater core

Looked it up, the 2/0 cable is rated for 304 amps
At what temp?

I see a 300a ampacity rating for a 75C (167F) wire in a 25C (77F) environment, but it’s for bare wire.

Insulated 2/0 copper stranded wire is rated around 175A in the same conditions. Your under hood temps might be higher than your living room.

IJS…

@Rock40, do you have onboard air? If so, what do you have and do you like it? I am using a ViaAir setup that is 25+ years old and there is no way that it will fill a 40” tire in a reasonable amount of time.

I saw your locker compressor on your firewall and I was thinking about replacing mine with an upgraded onboard air compressor and running my locker lines to an air tank. Thoughts?

At what temp?

I see a 300a ampacity rating for a 75C (167F) wire in a 25C (77F) environment, but it’s for bare wire.

Insulated 2/0 copper stranded wire is rated around 175A in the same conditions. Your under hood temps might be higher than your living room.

IJS…
I was look8mg at the Polar Wire site which is appears to be identical in construction to the wire I’m using.

325 amps at 86 degrees, 304 at 104 degrees. Sure it’ll be hotter under the hood, and i believe that’s likely enough of a safety margin. Powermaster calls for #2 cable as long as the run is under 6’. Pretty big difference between 2/0 and #2 cable

Last edited:
@Rock40, do you have onboard air? If so, what do you have and do you like it? I am using a ViaAir setup that is 25+ years old and there is no way that it will fill a 40” tire in a reasonable amount of time.

I saw your locker compressor on your firewall and I was thinking about replacing mine with an upgraded onboard air compressor and running my locker lines to an air tank. Thoughts?
Yeah, I have the small ARB compressor on the firewall and that is feeding a 3 gallon air tank in the rear. There is nothing fast about the small ARB compressors tho. Great for the lockers. I’ve aired back up in a pinch but I don’t prefer it.

I carry a PowerTank also and that is QUICK for filling tires. Would probably inflate a 40” tire under a minute but I’ve never tried it. Converted AC pumps are pretty fast, I’ve just never run one

Tired of wiring nonsense, would much rather fabricate something

Relocated the power steering and coolant reservoir bottles

Rear mount for steering fluid, sits essentially directly over the pump

IMG_5835.jpeg

IMG_5836.jpeg

Front mount for the coolant reservoir…

IMG_5837.jpeg

DUN

IMG_5838.jpeg

looks good what tig set up do you use ?
Thx, I’m using a Miller Synchrowave. It’s an older transformer machine but it welds DC really, really nicely.

Love the TIG for the heat control and the fact that it doesn’t splatter all over nearby expensive components like MIG. Definitely way more sensitive to any contaminants or dirty metal tho

Thats a nice stack, I love the blueing, I would like to be able to do that then wire wheel it & clear coat.

A little progress today…

As much as I want to, there’s zero way to run a lower 20AN radiator hose. The thermostat housing and radiator outlet are too close together and there isn’t enough room for the AN fittings, let alone any 20AN hose.

Bit the bullet and ordered a 360 degree swivel thermostat housing from CVR. It has a 1.5” outlet, lower radiator is 1.75” As far as I can tell, an LS thermostat housing with a 1.75” neck doesn’t exist

IMG_5840.jpeg

So I have to have a spliced radiator hose (which I don’t like) and a reducer.

Used a reducer from JTR. Transitional Hose Splicers - https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/best-sellers/products/transitional-hose-splicers This is a different size for reference, they make quality stuff

IMG_5844.jpeg

And the lower hose will look like this, plus a few more clamps 😂

IMG_5842.jpeg

Made up the 10AN heater hoses up to the firewall also

IMG_5841.jpeg

Upper radiator hose is done. Dollar bill is for size comparison, they are LARGE full flow fittings.

IMG_5845.jpeg

IMG_5846.jpeg

Yeah, ultra clean. And unfortunately a huge price tag to go along with that

Here’s my main gripe with Vintage Air heaters and AC units. Granted I only have heat in my 40 but the AC units are the same

Vintage Air uses #10 male AC fittings on their heater core. INCONVENIENT to say the least. As far as I could find, there is no such thing as a #10 AC to 10AN fitting. Nothing. If Vintage Air used NPT, barb or literally anything else it would have been easy

So I got some plain #10 AC fittings and welded a 10AN male to them

IMG_5850.jpeg

Went up to my neighbors fabrication shop to do the welding and ended up assisting with these brackets. They are seat supports for one of the NY state ferries. If you’re riding the ferry in the future and the seat doesn’t collapse you can thank me 😂

IMG_5848.jpeg

IMG_5849.jpeg

Heater plumbing is done. This might not look like much but it was a pain to get things to fit, go figure

IMG_5851.jpeg

And got REALLY lucky with the exhaust. I built the stainless crossover long before the engine was ever test fit, just had an idea of where I wanted it to terminate basically

Original exhaust had a 6” flex piece, I bought a stainless steel 8” and it essentially bolted right in. Welded on the exhaust flange and that was it. Would love to do full stainless exhaust but this is WAY over budget so that’ll have to wait

IMG_5852.jpeg

Here’s my main gripe with Vintage Air heaters and AC units. Granted I only have heat in my 40 but the AC units are the same

Vintage Air uses #10 male AC fittings on their heater core. INCONVENIENT to say the least. As far as I could find, there is no such thing as a #10 AC to 10AN fitting. Nothing. If Vintage Air used NPT, barb or literally anything else it would have been easy

So I got some plain #10 AC fittings and welded a 10AN male to them

View attachment 3580908

Went up to my neighbors fabrication shop to do the welding and ended up assisting with these brackets. They are seat supports for one of the NY state ferries. If you’re riding the ferry in the future and the seat doesn’t collapse you can thank me 😂

View attachment 3580909

View attachment 3580910
Is this not what your Vintage Air heater came with?

IMG_1023.jpeg

Is this not what your Vintage Air heater came with?

View attachment 3581825
Yes. That is not useful, at all. All it gives you is the option of routing rubber heater hoses through your firewall, which I don’t like. They are not correct for AN pushloc hose and because the core is set up the way it is, you are stuck with the barb fittings 👎

It’s odd because Vintage Air DOES sell a very nice AN bulkhead connection, 2 fittings for heat and 2 for AC. How you are supposed to get to AN without welding custom fittings like I did is beyond me.

Saginaw box is back from PSC 👍

IMG_5853.jpeg

Fabbed up the steering shaft support today. Used a stainless Borgeson bearing and tied it into the AA motor mount

IMG_5855.jpeg

DUN

The shaft fits just BARELY between the frame, exhaust header and shock hoop

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5857.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom