FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm tasked with getting the baton to @Cleg in late October , he just PMed me. Who is coming east to get me the "baton"? Is there an official schedule (almost need an Excel spreadsheet at this point, lol)...

Looking forward to it, now going to try to find a way to make my "leg" more scenic! @Cleg gets to cruise through the Great Smoky Mountains!

I'm proposing two Legs to start simultaneously, one from Maine down to Key West (in blue below), following the coast... mostly, joining the 2nd Leg in Northern Florida. The 2nd Leg (in orange below) will kick-off in Michigan, also down to Key West through OH (and IN???), KY, TN (AL?) and GA.

View attachment 1311965

:( nothing out west ?

Just a though. If a third baton came up from Key West instead and met up with the Michigan and Maine batons in Georgia or whatever and then trekked west across the country. They could then travel as one at times or split up to cover other areas of the country.

@Bluegrass40 ... if everything goes according to plan.

Working on the spreadsheet as I type!!!:cheers:

Good stuff! Now I need to chart a scenic route to Knoxville and try to get my rig off highway for a bit :beer::clap:

Would love to join in somewhere on the Charleston to St. Augustine leg. I'm in Brunswick, Ga. just off of Hwy. 17 and just got my first 40. If someone can let me know when you pass through here, I will join up on Sunday the 30th for part of the ride if that's okay.
We should be passing right near you. I'm envisioning that we will take Hwy 17 from Charleston through Savannah and do what we can to avoid 95. Would be great if we could get a bunch of 40's staged at the St Augustine Fort.

We should be passing right near you. I'm envisioning that we will take Hwy 17 from Charleston through Savannah and do what we can to avoid 95. Would be great if we could get a bunch of 40's staged at the St Augustine Fort.

We definitely need to avoid I-95 if it's the weekend of 10/29-30 since that is the weekend of the Georgia/Florida game in Jacksonville. In fact, I will be at the game Saturday but will be back on Sunday and if not I can join in Yulee since I will be in Fernandina for the game. I agree that it would be cool to have a big group of 40's at the fort.

So... after only two days, all of the key "Baton Holders" for the East Coast Leg have confirmed the specific dates work!!!:beer::beer::beer: And we'll be able to roll-in the Yankee Toys Fall Event to boot...

We still need to, of course, fine-tune routes. Speaking of which, @iptman, the idea of the trip down the Delaware peninsula was for @Shark56 to do that, and to meet you and / or @Booch in Southern VA or Northern NC. I am assuming @Shark56 is still willing to do that. If he is, @iptman and / or @Booch, please confirm you can meet him there.

On the MI - GA Leg, still need to hear from @olive, @Speeter and @Bluegrass40... I'll follow-up via PM next. @Tennessee80 and @Cleg, your portion of this Leg can now be confirmed, as you two would be able to connect to @GA Architect anyway!

So fellas, this is happening... and we still have the whole month of September to plan... so plan away!

With respect to the East to West trip... I think we may still be able to sneak that one in as well, but we would need to get a few more owners to sign up in AR, TX and NM (blue areas below)... unless the current Owners in those areas can expand "their range"... :):):) This would have to happen in the next 1-2 weeks if we are to make it work concurrently with the current two legs.

upload_2016-8-28_22-26-9.png

By the way, the map is always here...

If we get coverage in those areas soon, we could work it as follows:
  1. Maine to Northern FL (this is already confirmed)
  2. Key West to Northern Florida (@sggoat and @Captn Conch I suspect reversing the order is not going to be a problem?)
  3. Northern Florida to TN. This would also entail reversing the current order for the @GA Architect contingent. The MI Leg would meet in TN as well.
  4. The Western Leg would then begin in TN towards CA. Multiple potential options there...
It would look something like this...

upload_2016-8-28_22-16-4.png

And who knows, at that point we may even get some owners in OR to sign up, and the whole thing can finish up in Seattle (or Vancouver!) linking ID, MT and Eastern WA as well...

One can dream right???

upload_2016-8-28_22-1-23.png

I could make my run to Vernon, Electra, or Wichita Falls; anywhere that suits your comfortable distance.

The good thing about 287 is that so much of it is four lanes divided highway now, so we wouldn't be holding up traffic or unsafe plodding along in the right lane.
"plodding along" is what made Hecrod's journey so informative-he was able to see things that most of us miss if we are blasting along 4 lanes--most of these roads nowadays are out and around the local interesting scenery--case in point-route 13 through Pa to Elmira NY. It intersects(I think) with the new rt 15--a 4 lane). Take 15, and you will never see the overlook around the mountain coming down into Harrisburg-stop at one of the two, and you can look almost vertically DOWN to see the City-and awesome sight--rt 15 has none of this(I'm using these rt numbers from memory of many yrs ago, so take them with that in mind).
Take Fl rt 41 from Miami to Ft. Myers(The old Tamiami Trail), instead of I-75. You will pass Jimmy's Worm Farm--denoted by a monster billboard proclaiming simply "Worms" "Beer"
Point here is that the "adventure" should document our great Country-all the good and bad, the new and old, the current and historical--in my limited travels, I have not seen many 'new' 4 lanes that have much to offer in this regard-by their nature, they bypass all the good stuff.

Hey guys. I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread but I'm very interested!

Utah border to border, can be N-S or E-W

As a plus if it comes near SLC we can stop for photos/tour at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum

image.jpg

I'm Excited! Just need to finish the body and remount it on the running gear. If not this run then next year for sure.

I can expand my range (Little Rock, Arkansas) for this year's run but will have to drive my truck. Can go from the blue area near Texas across the state to Memphis area.

Heading east to west. Weather should be nice for the southwest legs.
Santa Rosa, NM is almost exactly halfway between my house and Amarillo, so I could do that portion. Or meet somewhere along NM 104 between Tucumcari and Las Vegas.
Been busy and haven't followed this thread since the first couple of pages. Is there a gap between NV and NM across AZ? My only currently registered FJ40 is about 35 miles south of interestate 40 in AZ that could possible help with the gap depending on the date.
Later in the week or following weekend I could head west towards Arizona, somewhere like El Morro National Monument on NM 53, for another hand-off.

I'm definatly in on the Michigan to Columbus hand off to @Speeter. Trying to get a kick off party going in Marshall MI. for the weeknd of Oct. 8

I (actually my daughter) had suggested a GoPro be part of the "baton"... on further thought how about the addition of a Spot or some similar method to document the movement of the baton in real time.

And looking at the map I think it's time to start planning an extension trip from the OR/WA leg back across the northern US... might need to wait for spring/summer for that though... COMPLETE THE LOOP!

"plodding"
I am attempting to plan a route here on Long Island to circumnavigate the island while avoiding major highways as much as possible... A challenge to be sure but it will make for a much more plesant and interesting ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom