FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like we have linked the East Tennessee and North Georgia route in Anderson, NC. We'll be running thru the Great Smokey Mountains and down thru the back roads of the Appalachian Foot Hills. I will take a similar route that my wife's grandfather took when he ran moonshine out of Blairsville/Suches (Union County) down to Atlanta, back in the 30's & 40's.

Currently the GA group is working on the route linking South of Atlanta.....

Plans are contingent on the route (North to South....South to North.....etc....) and willing to change at a moments notice.

Last edited:
"plodding along" is what made Hecrod's journey so informative-he was able to see things that most of us miss if we are blasting along 4 lanes--most of these roads nowadays are out and around the local interesting scenery ... Point here is that the "adventure" should document our great Country-all the good and bad, the new and old, the current and historical--in my limited travels, I have not seen many 'new' 4 lanes that have much to offer in this regard-by their nature, they bypass all the good stuff.

"plodding"
I am attempting to plan a route here on Long Island to circumnavigate the island while avoiding major highways as much as possible... A challenge to be sure but it will make for a much more plesant and interesting ride.

I agree completely with the desirability of two-lane back roads; I made my original comment in the context of the safety of a possible multi-40 convoy.

Here in Texas, all of the old "US" numbered highways still go through every little town and are well-maintained. Most have passing lanes in places, and some (like US 287) have larger portions of four lanes, but they're all like time capsules for driving through the farming and small-town Texas of 50+ years ago.

Here in Texas, all of the old "US" numbered highways still go through every little town and are well-maintained. Most have passing lanes in places, and some (like US 287) have larger portions of four lanes, but they're all like time capsules for driving through the farming and small-town Texas of 50+ years ago.
Reminds me of a trip my wife and I took on the way from New Orleans back to northern New Mexico almost 40 years ago, especially the back roads through Texas Hill Country up towards the Panhandle. I remember making sure we spotted the Dairy Queen in every town along the way. One of our favorite road trips.

I would be willing to travel up towards Washington if someone from Washington would travel down a little.

There are so many active Oregon members here I'm surprised we haven't signed a few up. Portland's about as far south as I'll go in mine right now so I'm hoping some Oregon folks will chime in. And a lot of Seattle folks too. C'mon people, get on board.

I would be up for joining the Avery Island side-trip - albeit not in the 40, but the 80

There are so many active Oregon members here I'm surprised we haven't signed a few up. Portland's about as far south as I'll go in mine right now so I'm hoping some Oregon folks will chime in. And a lot of Seattle folks too. C'mon people, get on board.

Herding cats.

I'm good for either heading down the eastern shore of DeMarVa across the Bay Bridge Tunnel or heading west towards DC or Baltimore across the Bay Bridge. What ever works best for getting it south, down the east coast.

When is this happening? Interested, not sure if available. This thread is really long and the first posting does not have the latest details.

Cheers.

Tracking with a SPOT device sounds like a cool idea to me. Would be super cool to be able to watch a thread on MUD with embedded video and pictures and a link to real time map progress.

I was just thinking... and I'm not a big charity pusher normally - I mean, I give when I can and such, is there any charity or cause we could assist? Some disease or maybe something like Blueribbon? I don't have a cause of my own really but maybe some of you guys do. Or we can just do it because its fun too, nothing wrong with that.

Just a thought.

I am definitely in for the Columbus to Louisville leg the 15th and 16th of October. Already have plans to meet up with @olive to receive the baton. Would love to get other local 40's for a pic.

Mind you I really have no valid input to offer as my 40 is in just about as many pieces as it can be right now... oh, and it's in Abu Dhabi.

But, if there are multiple legs at the same time how will a baton be passed? With a GoPro? And a potential Spot?

What's the rush? I say don't push multiple legs at once... let this be a meandering, plodding trek. It may scurry along the east coast quickly from NY to the Keys and then sit with someone for 3 weeks waiting for a trek to the next handover. All-in-all though, I think it should be one baton and GoPro making the round.

Anyway, carry on... I'll volunteer to be one of the first "mailed to" handovers for a trip through the 7 Emirates of the UAE. Could even hand it over to someone in Saudi and/or Oman.

Joel

Hey guys. I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread but I'm very interested!

Utah border to border, can be N-S or E-W

As a plus if it comes near SLC we can stop for photos/tour at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum

@cruiseroutfit Excellent! That helps a lot...

Looks like we have linked the East Tennessee and North Georgia route in Anderson, NC. We'll be running thru the Great Smokey Mountains and down thru the back roads of the Appalachian Foot Hills. I will take a similar route that my wife's grandfather took when he ran moonshine out of Blairsville/Suches (Union County) down to Atlanta, back in the 30's & 40's.

Currently the GA group is working on the route linking South of Atlanta.....

Plans are contingent on the route (North to South....South to North.....etc....) and willing to change at a moments notice.

@GA Architect Plan for a South to North route for your section... it's looking like the East to West route will happen...

When is this happening? Interested, not sure if available. This thread is really long and the first posting does not have the latest details.

Cheers.

@lorax It starts in October in the Northeast. Do you happen to be in Portland??? We need people from Portland!!!:bounce: But we probably won't get to you until late November... maybe December.

Mind you I really have no valid input to offer as my 40 is in just about as many pieces as it can be right now... oh, and it's in Abu Dhabi.

But, if there are multiple legs at the same time how will a baton be passed? With a GoPro? And a potential Spot?

What's the rush? I say don't push multiple legs at once... let this be a meandering, plodding trek. It may scurry along the east coast quickly from NY to the Keys and then sit with someone for 3 weeks waiting for a trek to the next handover. All-in-all though, I think it should be one baton and GoPro making the round.

Anyway, carry on... I'll volunteer to be one of the first "mailed to" handovers for a trip through the 7 Emirates of the UAE. Could even hand it over to someone in Saudi and/or Oman.

Joel

We hear you... this will be one leg... with some protrusions! First year... we're learning here, and don't want to leave anyone behind if we can help it!

I am in Portland. Keep me posted and I may be available.

Keeping a watch out for what happens in the Michigan/Indiana region.

I can travel down to Eugene or up to Seattle. Depending on the dates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom