FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am definitely in for the Columbus to Louisville leg the 15th and 16th of October. Already have plans to meet up with @olive to receive the baton. Would love to get other local 40's for a pic.

I just messaged Hector. My 40 does not currently have the brakes plumbed. I need to get that finished up and get some decent miles on the rig (have never driven More than 30 miles in one stretch to date!).

My calendar is packed with work and family commitments so it may be a stretch for me to get up and running by then, but it's a good goal! At this point, I'm tentative.

Going to go out and install the new booster now.....

Cheers.

I have a customized expedition logbook / guest register to send to the first driver in the chain.
Olive, are you out there ??

fj40 logbook.jpg

A hint from a moderator (who shall remain nameless): you might want to list this in the Events forum.

I'm not sure it's a good idea, but it is AN idea, and it's not my party.

We hear you... this will be one leg... with some protrusions! First year... we're learning here, and don't want to leave anyone behind if we can help it!

All good man, didn't want to seem critical... cause this is shaping up quite awesome! Just had to chip in my $0.02. Anxiously awaiting photos, video, and trip reports...

The west coast leg that I had envisioned for me will not be passable from probably early November until I believe May/June - Tioga Pass is 10,000' elevation so they close the road to traffic during that time period: Tioga and Glacier Point Roads Opening & Closing Dates - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I certainly can do a different route but the road through there is so amazingly beautiful it would be a shame to pass on it. Or that can be saved for the 2nd Annual FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition... ;)

There are so many active Oregon members here I'm surprised we haven't signed a few up. Portland's about as far south as I'll go in mine right now so I'm hoping some Oregon folks will chime in. And a lot of Seattle folks too. C'mon people, get on board.

I am in Portland. Keep me posted and I may be available.

My 40 is not driveable, and won't be for some time yet. However, I'm interested if conditions on my end come to pass. I would have to ride along with somebody else, or drive my pickup at the tail of the line of 40's.

If the baton is to be coming up from CA it could come up a couple different routes. It could come up Hwy 97 on the east side of the Cascade Mtns, and then west through the Columbia Gorge to Portland/Vancouver (about 386 miles). Or it could come up west of the Cascades on I-5 (about 306 miles). There are other route possibilities, but these two would probably make things easier for the CA leg.

The distance I can possibly drive will vary, depending on my circumstances. Just keep me posted about plans, and I can see if my circumstances will let me tag along.

Don

The west coast leg that I had envisioned for me will not be passable from probably early November until I believe May/June - Tioga Pass is 10,000' elevation so they close the road to traffic during that time period: Tioga and Glacier Point Roads Opening & Closing Dates - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I certainly can do a different route but the road through there is so amazingly beautiful it would be a shame to pass on it. Or that can be saved for the 2nd Annual FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition... ;)

And I was counting on you to get the baton over the sierras, west to east, in a north- south route that I could participate in from Mammoth to LV. But it would have to happen in Oct.perhaps a reality check is in order.

I'm in the DC 'burbs so I'm in for a pick up in MD somewhere. The route shows a path down the Eastern Shore of MD and VA. That may not be feasible even though it'd be a fun trip. @Shark56 - How close can you get the baton to DC? @Booch - Can you meet me out around Charlottesville or closer to Skyline Drive?

It looks like this is going to take a lot longer to traverse the continent than I initially thought. If this ends up being extended for as long as it needs to then why not do a single run, down in to Florida then back and hit the orange route. I can see this taking 4-5 months to actually complete.
I can !!!! however when is it ?

As I'm trying to get a kick off party going at Dark Horse Brewery in Marshall MI. had a couple respond so I promissed the first round on me to hopefully get some others to join in......that may have been a mistake...I mean, free beer????? Who doesn't like that???

I can !!!! however when is it ?

Sweet! Looks like either the 22 or 23 of October but I wouldn't etch that in stone just yet. As long as it's not the second weekend in October I'm available.

It will be closed to traffic, but will it be closed to FJ40's? ;)

It passes the sticker test. Has all kinds of room, and pouches.
Thinking about welding the hand cuffs shut, to avoid any "problems".

20160831_173820.jpg

20160831_173922.jpg

Are there any other 40's between Louisville KY and Nashville TN that would be up for heading south to Nashville on Saturday Oct 22 after a hand off from me? I am working on getting my 40 back on the road, but will feel more confident in making the trip if it were 200 miles round trip instead of the proposed ~400 (LVL to Nashville).......

I'll be doing this over the weekend with my '40. Unfortunately it will be on a trailer. Awesome idea/event, wish I could actually participate!

image.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom