May 7th Trail Ride and Hog Roast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
More details to follow--check back to this intro to get the latest. Updated 1 May.

Peters Mill Run and Tasker's Gap trails, near Edinburg, VA (+/- 25 miles South of Front Royal). Part of GWNF system, these trails require a "day use" fee, $5 per vehicle, no additional charge for passengers.

Hog Roast is at a friend's farm near Edinburg, less than 30-minutes from the Woodstock Tower on the far side of Peters Mill trail. He has a big yard party each year at his farmhouse. He is permitting me to invite my Toyota friends for food, fun, and over-night camping (primitive) on his place.

Agenda--Saturday May 7th
0900-1000 Meet somewhere for breakfast (IHOP in Haymarket? the one at 7495 Iron Bar Lane)
1000-1100 Drive to Edinburg Shell Station, just off the east side of exit #279) to buy day-pass ($5/vehicle)
1100-1500 Trail Ride; the trail head is east of town across the river on SR 675. The trail is identified on Google Maps as "Powell Mountain Trail". It goes North/Northeast for about 15 miles. The north side ends near Woodstock Tower, with great views over the "Seven Bends" of the Shenandoah River. We'll have to make time to hike the 1/4 mile to the actual tower and take in the vistas over the treetops!
1500-1600 Drive to Wakeman's Farm (a few miles west off exit #279 in Edinburg)
1600- ? Hog Roast dinner and social time

-The hog roast is a big family event. Last year there were more kids than adults, so all guests are expected to behave appropriately.
-We can camp in his field next to the farmhouse (several acres)--pull the Cruisers into the field and set-up before night-fall.
-We can bring adult beverages--be responsible; my friend says
"don't plan to leave that night" if you've been imbibing the spirits or barley beverages.

What to bring to the Hog Roast
- we're not expected to bring a "potluck" dish, but if you think it would survive the day on the trail then please bring one. If you want adult beverages, bring your preference.
- folding chair
- if your kids are coming, bring a change (or two!) of clothes. Play time on the farm can be messy.
- rain gear--the party's "on" rain or shine!

Contact me by PM if you have additional questions or need to clarify something. Reply to this thread if you decide you are attending.

Last edited:
I'm going but :princess: isn't too sure about camping into Mother's Day.

Right now, my plan is to go and return Saturday night.

:bang:

Im down.

What are these trails like?

The URL below is my write-up of these trails last year:

Peters Mill 22 MAY 10

Trails are stock-vehicle friendly. Even more so than Waggy's Creek trail back in February this year.

Here's the link to the Forest Service describing the day-use trail fee:

Lee Ranger District

It appears the last update was 2010; if you have questions call the Ranger Station at the number listed.

I am in. Cant make the camping though. Looking forward to it.

I am in for doing clearly marked trails only ! I will not take the lead at any time during the ride, i promise. :eek:

I am in for doing clearly marked trails only ! I will not take the lead at any time during the ride, i promise. :eek:

Guffaw!:eek:

Looks like there are five of us, and no one is camping. That is OK, we'll have a good time on the trails and the dinner will be a blast, too.

What do you guys think about IHOP for breakfast? I'm thinking of the one in Gainesville at 7495 Iron Bar Ln
Gainesville, VA 20155. If you know of a better place, then make a suggestion. My biggest criteria is choosing a place that we can go to en-route, so none of use are "doubling-back".

Updated intro to this thread 1 May.

Last edited:
hey guys,

I'm in, 90%. coming back that night it'll be closer to 99% (with the mother's day conflict removed) yet oddly enough, now she's suggesting we pack the tent and pads in case we do get tired and want to crash, so that's a bonus (or a test.... hmmmm. i have no idea). I'll have my 2 boys (6 and 4) with me. anyone else bringing their kids if even only for a day trip? If anyone else is thinking of staying the night, let me know.

I'll be bringing some of my wife's killer baked beans (should make the drive(s) home memorable!), since they'll keep fine on the trail.

edit: oh, and IHOP in gainesville sounds good, we'll be coming west from fairfax.

Man I wanted to attend this but that damn mothers day thing is getting in the way. Have fun guys

am i missing something. mothers' day is the day after this. we can all do this and be home for dinner on mothers day eve and wake up and make a rad breakfast in bed the next morning.

The trail ride and hog roast is Saturday, May 7th. The next day, Sunday May 8th, is Mother's Day. For some reason, women want to be home on Mother's Day.

So you can do the day-trip trail ride and go home, or...

you can do the day trip trail ride and hog roast and then go home, or....

you can do the trail, hog roast, camp at the farm, and then go home.

Or you can be like Bart and Alan, and just stay home.:D

Hakalugi, I"m taking my kids!

Sunday is a full day. First breakfast with my mother, then something with my wife, then dinner with Mother in law. So Saturday will be filled with honey dooooos preparing for Sunday.

Hakalugi, sorry that came out wrong I just know what an exhausting day it will be with all that we have to do. :crybaby: All good though just really wanted to make this trail ride and roast. Well there will be another one.

Ok I'm done moaning about it now thanks for listening. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom