Yukon to Mexico (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll be checking for w/e warriors to see if there are any LC trips taking place while we're passing through the western states to tag along on.cheers,Greg

If anything comes up during your trek down and back while in the Vancouver BC area, feel free to contact. Have a great trip!

gb

Parvot,

Where exactly are you guys headed. My wife is from La Penita, about an hour north of PV... pretty cool place. Have fun on your drive. I may pull a large boat down there some day. The fishing is PHENOMINAL!

As far as Mexico, get auto insurance to the hilt. Always take the toll road if available. Never drive at night unless absolutley necessary, then drive slow. The roads are generally not fenced, uncontrolled access and the road crews take down the signs a night so they won't get stolen.

My only experience is in Baja, so.....

I've driven all over Mexico and C. America: I'd second all the above advice. On the upside mexican tollroads have pretty good signs and the people I met were very helpful.

Yukon to Mexico and back in eattle

OK, so we've completed the most part of the trip, back in Seattle now and only 3,600 kms to go (or so).

Here are my observations of the trip to date.

1. the fuel sucks in in Washington, Oregon, California and Arizona. I discovered a fuel leak early in the trip and met a guy who recommended adding ATF (a cap full) to every fill up. It worked, my leak dissappeard rather quickly. So that works.

2. Apparently the same works for power steering (adding ATF), but I've been told ATF is the same as power steering fluid. So WTF? Any comments appreciated.

3. Diesel in Mexico is about 60¢ pr litre Cdn. But if you take the toll roads, the price goes up.

4. The toll roads in Mexico are just fine. We were impressed with them all the way.

5. The free roads are are winding and slow where we took them.

6. The people were absolutely amazing (this should be #1), especially with a child. We have nothing but great things to say about the people we met throughout Mexico.

7. If in Puerto Vallarta and you need things added to your vehicle, tinted windows, light and whatever ad ons, I recommend through experience Rabbit Automotive. Ask for Victor. They were reliable, honest and descent workers. They're just off the main drag near DHL.

8. We had a number of minor problems. Fuel Leak, Power steering leak, left calipers. All were easy to deal with. But plan ahead for MExico, Tyotas are there, but not everywhere. We had a starter shipped with friends from Whitehorse, Yukon. They felt that that the starter could have been taken by customs easily. Duty on computer parts (computer meltdown) is about 30% and DHL isn't cheap. What I wasted on duty and freigt I made up in from Rabbit.

9. Roof top tent from Autohome.com was awesome. Really enjoyed it and it performed well in 50 mph winds in Joshua Tree National Park. Rain, what rain? Can't speak for it yet as it didn't rain where we were and when we were using it. I'll comment later.

10. Coastal California is beautiful, if you can't get to Mexico, do California. Truly an amazing place for it's scenery.

11. Probably the most important (aside form awesome people everywhere) Every place we went seemed to hold little surprises for us. Whether it was the people, the food, meeting people we knew, the opportunities it allowed our young son and so on (after a few glasses of wine, I'm a little slow). It was truly a trip, but not of a lifetime (Central & South America still awaits us). I would recommend it to anyone. If you don't have the time to drive the US and you want to see Mexico, ship your truck and meet it in Arizona or wherever you choose.

12. I have to admit the sexinesso f our trip (in my mind) wore off after meeting many retired Canadians (everywhere, and more so than Americans). So in the end, anyone can do it providing you have the or make the time.

We have images (many of our son) @ http://picasaweb.google.com/oscarspictures if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom