your opinion please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just need some input from you folks,

As some may know or not. I have a 69 chevelle, and I'm just not a car guy. Used to be still and love 'em, but I will be getting a ticket or wrapping myself around a tree sooner or later.

So I have an opportunity to to swap it for a 97 tj sport 122k small lift, soft top, lots new parts, 5speed, 4.0, rubicon wheels and tires like new.

This is only a 3rd vehicle maybe a woods beater, get me back into the woods wheeling.

Or do I push to sell it out right and get what I want.. which will be either another 40 or most likely give 1/2 the $$ to the wife and dump the rest into the patrol project.

I love old metal willys, 40's, broncos, but I find myself limited to going somewhere. cause it's too far on the highway. and various other excuses.

The tj would be great to drive to a wheeling spot. I'm not hard core never was just a trail guy, and mall cruiser. I would also take the kids in this. I doubt I'd do the same in a 40 or the patrol.

My daily is a 94 LC 80. I really don't want to thrash it cause it's the kid bus. And my get me to work vehicle.

any thoughts?
bob

IMHO I say(and flame if you want) it dosent matter what you wheel, so long as it gets you where your going. I'd wheel a go cart pulled by a mule as long as it got me out. Just my 2 cents.

I have experience with a '97 TJ sport.... first year for the TJ, no? I drove it in 5th gear for 20 miles in stop and go traffic to the dealer for a friend who was stuck on the side of the road with a bad clutch with only 30K miles.... few thousand later, the tranny went... not generalizing here and I appreciate what Sean said, but... longevity is an issue whether you wheel it or just drive it on the road IMHO.

Sell the car for what you can get (maybe take it to Carlisle car show) and go buy something like:

84 sr5 runner in Va - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

At least a 4runner with 22RE will allow you to drive cross country if ya want, wheel how ya want, and has space, removable hardtop for summer fun yet decent in the winter, etc.

IMO, the best DD/light wheeler that can usually be built up for a little dough with high levels of reliability... plus parts are cheap in general and readily available.

They are all over Craigslist, pirate, yotatech, etc.

Leave the patrol for the side project IMO, it was never and will never be a comfortable rig but really cool all the same! I like your taste in old rigs!

Bob, I can appreciate your predicament! I agree with Sean and Jeff. IMHO, you spend SO MUCH TIME monkeying on Jeeps! I have only ever been on one ride where one didn't break... too much time trying to winch straighten suspension parts or dry out distributors or nursing an overheated engine :(

Not to say that you wouldn't have fun with a Jeep , but your Chevelle should be worth so much more. If the car is original or close to it, PM me and I could give you the name of a guy who would either buy it outright or know someone who would. It would be nice for you to sell the car and have some cash to look for a rig, as mentioned above. It seems so many people start a project, and either don't plan on the amount of work or they run out of cash (credit) :( You could pick a project like Jeff mentioned pretty inexpensively.

It looks like you have a pretty good eye for vehicles, so inevitably, you will make the right decision :)

But in the meantime, GOOD LUCK :)

Thanks for the input, the tj just looked good.

I'm gunnna pass on the trade and wait till the title comes and then ebay it.

Tell you what I really needed a junker truck to haul garbage this weekend man did we have bad weather. 2wd is no fun is ice/snow

Bob PM sent.

thanks for the input, maybe I'll find a nice clean patrol, or a post 78 fj I love my old iron but, sometimes it's nice to just get in and drive....

bob

Ok, just for the recod, I drank 5 bottles of stout before I posted that:beer:

I missed the trade for the chevelle. The jeep is no where near worth what the chevy is. And all vehicals have there issues. I just meant wheel what your most comfortable with and can afford. Don't get overly hung up on the hood emblem war. Buy it cheap, set it up how you want, and wheel it like you stole it.

here's a pic of the tj ... sooo tempting, remember I'm not a hard wheeler.

Oh and I just missed out on a later model runner with 2pc top that was leaf camo-ed, I went wyesterday to look at it and it was gone. It was sitting there for 6months oh-well.

bob
Blue%20TJ%20025[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom