Your Opinion on this PZJ Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There have been examples of manual 81s RHD in BC being sold, not common though! The Automatic Transmissions on those are better than any manual. So there's that. I was just trying to talk you out of a 70 because it seemed that you were a) cost sensitive b) looking for more luxory -both which can be had with an 80 or 81, and if you're chopping the roof anyway... with the exception of a diesel and manual in both circumstances.

However, a nice pz or hz manual troopy will be good for your intentions.

It also sounds like you have Fab Experience- which I did not clue into initially; not sure what skill level is needed for the pop top; probably pretty in depth.

As far as getting one of those Australian examples- Always wanted a troopy, but out of those two examples thanks but no thanks at this point.... If I ever get another 70 series, and it's my second car, AND If I stay in Canada and I would work on acquiring a 4.5 EFI 71 Series. LHD.

Seriously the automatic's in the 80's are better then the manuals? Heck why do so many people bother yanking their worn out automatic and replace it with a manual.Honestly I would rather drive a HZJ80 standard then a auto HDJ80 any day of the week and especialy when they are 25 years or older.

Seriously the automatic's in the 80's are better then the manuals? Heck why do so many people bother yanking their worn out automatic and replace it with a manual.Honestly I would rather drive a HZJ80 standard then a auto HDJ80 any day of the week and especialy when they are 25 years or older.

Ok Joe, I may have been over emphatic on the Automatic Transmission that's on the 80... And I certainly do not have any hard data for my preposterous claim. I won't debate with someone in the business as I'm merely an enthusiast; so you're probably right.

Let me explain my rationale:

THE A440F and the A343F are good HD transmissions.
I also feel that many people feel that replace with the manual transmission do so because they feel they're getting "gains" whether it be power, mileage, OFFROAD MAN POWER, and I don't feel it makes sense to replace if the Auto tranny is fine, bang for your buck is it worth it if the Auto is fine?

I'm not talking about what I prefer to drive, that's a different story. manuals are fun to drive, 80 autos tend to do well in the field, and I was focusing my recommendation on a value basis, not on a wishlist basis. Not trying to knock the 70s manual trannys- I have one and I'm happy with it. Let's also be clear a PZJ OR HZJ is 100% better with a manual.

and yes, I would rather drive an auto 80. and yes I've driven both.

Last edited:
Landcruisers are getting shipped out of Australia everyday so the price of these will continue to rise. EU love buying our right hand drive models that are under your 15 or 25 year cut off so don't worry buy the time you guys want our HDJ79 they will all be gone. :)

I want manual transmission, diesel, and I really like the space in the back of the Troopies with the potential for a popup top if I get the funds.

Weather is kind of the sh!ts up here in Canada, plus the bugs can be bad so I like the idea of taking 5 seconds to pop the top, and you're ready to sleep; fully contained 4x4 camper that keeps the bugs out.

I don't know whether RHD would be an issue for me, I doubt it. I heard that they aren't allowed in Saudi Arabia however... wonder if there's any other countries that forbid them.

There are no Troopies available in Canada, I could probably bring over two and sell one for profit. I like the solid front axles and heavy build of the 75's and 78's. I'm thinking up to around $15K.

A number of countries in the Americas don't allow RHD. Doesn't matter if you don't plan to drive south of the US border but if you do, ya it is a problem.

I have a 1PZ and R151 with nearly 350,000kms on it, absolutely nothing wrong with either and will give an easy 200+k more without a doubt no issues. Both the 1PZ and R151 have a bad wrap on this forum and it is not justified at all. I have seen many of them that are higher mike with zero issues.

Having said that, my truck is a SWB 70 and nearly half the weight of a Troopy. Plenty of power in my SWB 70 but it also has factory 4.56 gear which makes a huge difference. Troopies are heavy, have a HUGE turning radius and don't have a good field of vision out of them.

I can find you good 15yr old Troopies in LHD with well under 200,000kms, 1HZ, H55, double tanks, etc. you still going to be $25-35k for one though. I looked at a 2004 about four months ago with 125,000kms on it that I could deliver for $25k or there abouts.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom