Yearling moose in Burlington, VT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So where do they go in the winter?

All spring, summer, and fall we see tracks, & poop all over our land. Then this winter, very very few tracks. Last weekend I see some tracks and fresh poop. My place is at 1900ft.

So, I am guessing the Moose head to the valleys to winter. Anyone know??

They follow the food. A local forester explained that a Moose's diet changes over the course of the winter depending on the types of trees in the area. They like to eat the fir saplings in our yard.

Well, up at my place they eat the buds off the young maples. Definitely know that because I have seen them all nibbled off and moosse tracks about, also read that somewhere.

There are a lot of oak up there too, do they eat mast?

There's lots of sugar maples around, not as much oak. There's about a 25 - 1 ratio of sugar maples to oaks. It seems like the deer tend to strip the young maples in our area before the moose can get to them.

There are far too many deer around here and it's been a hard winter on them. Our yard is deer wintering habitat so they're here pretty much all winter. I'm expecting to find a few more dead ones as the snow melts. The dogs have already found three dead deer so far this winter.

I get more moose than deer...Although there are deer too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom