x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No such luck for a metal version. I went through 2 sets on mine in 4 months and finally got a set from Amazon that work. I think it’s mainly the condition of the door latch mechanisms. This last time I removed everything that links to the door latch and soaked it in some Super Clean degreaser in a bucket mixed 1:1. Agitated it vigorously. Rinsed with a water hose nozzle. Repeated the bucket treatment. Then rinsed really good again. Air hosed dry and then sat in the sun to further dry totally. All moving parts.

Reinstalled and lubed with some spray dry moly. New handle and took advantage of the situation and used a shower curtain with shower caulk to recover the door panel inside. So far so good.

Any oil based lube will let dust and dirt stick to it. Once cleaned and lubed they’ve been fine for the last year.

I'm not feeling any stickiness or weirdness on the other inside bits.

I did some off ebay and this time one off Amazon. Nothing on any of them struck me as good or bad quality.

One of the Amazon sets I bought were of lesser quality of the two sets. The little metal lever piece that the plastic tab is supposed to catch on was a lot more flimsy. I tried to file an edge on it so that it would bite but it still would just push on it until it bent out of the way. It didn’t break, per se, but was useless.

I found a pair of 3rd gen 4runner handles at the junkyard and tweaked the linkage to fit. Gut the lock cylinders and use the pieces from your original cylinders and install into the 4runner ones. They have lasted 2yrs now. The oem toyota handles for the tacos are made in mexico I believe.. All 4runner stuff is from Japan.

Even added the mirrors from a 4runner since mine can with the dinky small ones
F865ED94-B37E-46B3-847D-A32C0245E2DC.jpeg

What year Taco is that and what year 4runner? Looks like something I need to do.

It's a 95.5, I can't remember what year 4runner but I know it was a 3rd gen so 96-02. I was going to wire in the electric mirrors but ended up just snipping the harness.

Even added the mirrors from a 4runner since mine can with the dinky small onesView attachment 2508920

I have kept this little mod/upgrade in the back of my mind and always search Amazon and fleaBay for a cheap set. Finally stumbled across some basic ones without any electronics. So I ordered a pair for $60 shipped and they fit like a glove. Manual adjust but still have the breakaway function so I'm happy. Plus the new mirror vs my 21yo cracked mirror is night and day.

2F62781D-1509-4FCC-A181-21E84125E5E3.jpeg

95F7D1A9-7D4B-4ADB-A2F7-3BF5DA1825DE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom