1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted WTB - HJ61 diesel fuel lines

Discussion in 'Classifieds: Diesel & JDM' started by zander, Aug 24, 2006.

1. zander

zander

I am trying to find a set of the fuel lines for a 12HT hj61. Basically the hard lines that go from the tank to the engine and back for the return.

thanks

2. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

Could you just make them? Have you ever done a flare end? I have made lots of 1/4 lines on planes, it is not too hard. I had not made a fuel line on a metric truck though. I would be temped to make new rather than use old IMOP

3. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    For my 1HZ conversion I used the existing petrol lines.
    The 3F had 3 lines,the diesel only needed 2.
    The 3rd line was a breather to the charcoal filter.

4. fe sus

fe sus

yeah... i used existing the existing gas lines as well. now I have an un-used line htat's just sitting there, but it's not hurtung anything...

5. zander

zander

Good idea. My new frame is from a gasser and the fuel and brake lines are on it. I will look into using those. I hadnt looked closely and did not realize their were multiple lines.

6. zander

zander

You know I havent done that stuff even though I have done a lot of high pressure pneumatics. Always wanted to look into it.

7. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    The obsolete line is real close to the rear diff breather. My plan was to use it to bring the breather from the rear diff into the engine bay firewall;)

8. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    I would compare them to a 2H fuel line which I think would be the same as a 12HT
    The 2H and 12HT also have sedifiers midway at the lowest point so you may want to add one.

The only thing that differed between my gasser and diesel fuel lines is the diesel were 8mm to the gasser 6mm (or was it 10 and 8?).
    After consultation with a injection shop they said it wouldnt make any difference as the fuel lines deliver much more fuel than needed and return most of it to the tank.

9. zander

zander

Yes I have the 2H fuel line but it has no return.

Yes it looks like the gas version used smaller lines. I have both on hand now and think I have enough stuff to figure it out. Thanks!

10. brownbear

strange the gasser lines are smaller, yet the consume more fuel :)

11. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    My theory is the larger diesel fuel line is to use excess diesel to cool the injection pump.

Some of the diesel shops I have spoken to say the 1HZ/HD pump dont last as long as other pumps like the Bosch Zexel pump on a patrol.(similar construction)
    Some say its vibration from the timing gear others say the insides swell from heat causing friction

At some time in the HZJ** series Toyota have increased the size of the fuel line from 8 to 10mm and the turbo versions from 10 to 12mm.
    Is this an attempt to add more cooling to the pump?

My estimate says the 1HZ pumps about 4x more than it needs.

12. Greg_B

Greg_B

For the rotory style VE pumps...I believe so too.

A pusher pump ala "Walbro" pushing no more then 9-10lbs can't hurt either with these rotory pumps, ensuring the pump is not starved; especially if you run an additional filter. WJM has some reading on this on his website.

The inline pumps of the 3B/13BT/2H/12HT use engine oil for lubrication, so this is not as much a concern. Pretty much all the 12HT and 13BT dual lines we've taken off have gone with the drivetrains, but we might have a 13BT dual line setup in the shop. I'll measure it and see what they are.

gb

13. zander

zander

Thats good to hear. Interesting about the oversized deal for cooling on the other pump style. i would assume i could undersize the return and not the feed as the return should be taking less away than comes in... Not sure if that will work with the lines I have, but I can take a look at it.

Do any of you think it would be BAD to have a smaller return than feed?

14. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

I got a 10 psi pump and put in a cheapie regulator to push no more than 2psi, heard more can damage the pump as it was meant to lift or pull the fuel??

HVLP

15. Greg_B

Greg_B

Yes, quite right...some say you may want to reduce it to around 2psi after the filters and before heading into the pump. Too much pressure can skew the fuel advance set-up in the pump...all of which I know little about.

Depending on the fuel you are running, or the filters you are running after the Walbro, you might not have to reduce the pressure. On a few lists some are running the Walbro as is, with no issues appearing.

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/dies_fuel-lift-pump.txt

tic tic tic tic tic....

hth's

gb

16. brownbear

in the aircraft steups, we have boost pumps deliver fuel to the high pressure pump. The high pressure pump is what gets fuel to the fuel control.

Our fuel is delivered from the boost pump at over 20 psi. The sole reason is for a constant supply to the HP pump. With out it the hP pump can suck the fuel, but extra wear will result as the pump can cavitate.

If you bought a 7 psi model inline pump at napa, by the time it goes thru the filter the pressure drop should put it low enough not to cause problems, as well keeping a solid supply to the pump.

17. Greg_B

Greg_B

I thought we were out of HJ61 lines, however we do have a set of HJ61 lines and BJ71 lines at the shop. Measured both today and supply and return for the 13BT and 12HT O/D was 8mm.

hth's

gb

18. zander

zander

Hmmm. I will be back in town and fitting mine next week. If it looks like I need your set I will send a note. Thanks for emailing... Especially the 8mm spec.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  19. honk

honk

Media:
    I wouldn't do it. It might cause backpressure at the pump outlet and interfere with flow through the pump. It's a dump, an exhaust if you like and the result of reducing the diameter/capacity would be something like putting one inch exhaust pipes on the engine.

20. zander

zander

Hmmm thats disconcerting, as i just fitted up the lines and found a slightly smaller diameter line from the gasser that fits pretty perfectly. Maybe I will give Greg a call and see about his set...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">