WTB: a FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I'm looking at a couple now but thought I would post here as well. Looking for something to drive on weekends and occasionally to work; very short commute though. Mainly for family drives, going camping, etc. Also, we have many miles of dirt roads, some with some 'light wheeling' opportunities.
Would prefer something that can get on the highway; around 60mph.

I've about $5-6K to spend. I know its not a lot but it's what I got!

Anyway, let me know if you have something....appreciate it. John

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys. I want a 40, already have a 100 for the family stuff and want to take the top off. I am going to look at the one in Booneville when the guy returns from vacation. Does anyone know him or the rig?

If you see or hear of any more, please let me know. Thanks!

John...the 40's are not so great at highway speeds (ride and 4 speed) unless you get one someone has modified with a different engine and transmission. Have you considered an older 4 runner with the removable top????

If you find a 40 you like make sure it has at least front disc brakes. I think 1976 is when they started doing that. The 1972 model your looking at may have them since it has been modified. Just trying to save you some frustration with drum brake adjustment X4.

Thanks,
I am also still considering this one 78 LandCruiser fj-40
It's a '78 and can be had for $5K.

Didn't think of an older 4 runner but will check it out as an option.

Re: Highway, that's why I liked the one in Booneville; he said it goes just fine on the highway. Need it to get to the buffalo, not going to highway it too much but I have to get it to camping.

Or, just stick with the 100 and mod it up a bit....this is getting difficult to find.

I run a 100. If all you want to do is play on FS roads and run around the buffalo to camp and not do serious rock play, mod the 100. I have put hundreds of miles in the national forest and not had a problem. Just got to be willing to get pinstripes.

Mine will be at the crawl in hot springs this weekend. Show up and there will be two 100 series down there.

Man, I so want to get there but it's my son's birthday and we've people coming. Still, I might just try to sneak down on sunday....we'll see.
There's one in Paragould that might work for me and the one in Booneville. We want to be able to take the top off and it's real conducive to where we live. We are up in Fairfield Bay and unless it's raining, you pretty much want the top off all the time!

The brown one I showed in Missouri....has anyone seen it? Long drive to find something I don't like!

Most of crawl people will be gone by sunday. Most of the crowd comes from MS and LA so they head out first thing sunday morning. Superlift is a great park if you have never been. Have a good bday weekend with your son. Next year take him to the crawl for his birthday in your new to you 40 towed by the 100. Good luck with your search. I just bought a 62 and had some problems after the fact.

Yeah...I've emailed him before and did again today.... no answer. I also called the number and left a message. It's a little more than I can afford but it's a sweet rig and I'd find a way to make it happen.

Yeah, it's cool for sure. I guess he's sold it, died and/or likes getting emails and calls for a rig he no longer has. Sheesh...just cancel the ad already, it's killin' me!

Yep...but waaaayyy out of my price range. Actually, I talked with the smurf owner yesterday and might go look at it today. It has a couple rust issues but it sounds manageable. At that price, I'm gonna find a way to deal with it! Unless it has major issues not described, I think I'm gonna get it.
Will post outcome....

Went and looked at it; way overpriced in my opinion. The worst thing was the tub...way cancerous. What to those cost? $2K? Even just the floor would be like a grand, right?

But, I'm new to this and maybe it's a good deal....just not for me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom