Would you use this coupler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my coupler today for my crawler. I knew going in that there was a chip in it. I had planed to grind that spot somwhat to make it smooth and less prone to cracking.

However there are some small cracks that the guy didnt see. They are visible in the pics, look hard.

This one the cracks are visible to the left and right of the pen. they from kind of a upside down V but dont appear to connect.
cracktop.jpg

This pic you can see one extending down to the left but it dosent make it past the top of the retaining ring groove.
crackside.jpg

It looked like there may be a small bulge in the retaining ring groove. You cant see it in the pic however.

Most of the coupler will be sorounded by bearing or gear. only that last little bit wont be enclosed in anything. I need this for my Marlin Crawler MC09 adapter. They are currently out of stock and normally run about 150+ shipping. I paid 80 for this one. Should I wait(maybe untill June!) and get a new one. or would You use this if you were me.

Ill get more pics tomorrow, Im going to dye check it at work tomorrow and then well really see where the cracks go. Im also going to ask our machinest forman what he thinks.

more pics

Looks like 3 hair line cracks The outer ones may connect on the top too.

I was thinking of maybe grinding out the crack but I think Ill just wait and get a diffeent one:( and get my $ back.
dyecheckcoupler006.jpg

dyecheckcoupler004.jpg

dyecheckcoupler003.jpg

dyecheckcoupler002.jpg

I concur.

looks like another bit of that flange is ready to let go. why take the chance?

I would either get your money back sine it looks fairly boogered, or see if you could get some back and then maybe try and tig it up and then remachine the groove. I know you would rather have that crawler in now versus right before Takeover :D

I got my $ back today. The guy said just to toss it. so I may see what I can do with it and keep looking for a better one in the meantime.

Welding is not a option. Tool/hardened steel and Cast iron dont respond well to welding. They usually crack or loose their hardness.

I may however grind that spot out and re-test it for cracks. Its only a groove for the retaining ring.

Maybe see if that machinist at work could make a new coupler all together??? Glad you got your money back.

im sorry to say that wont work either. He would need a tool for indexing to do the splines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom