Wiper Motor service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hullo everyone!

University just started this week so will only have the weekends to handle car related repair.

Wiper has been really sluggish.
It moves really slowly even on high.
We are approaching monsoon season and heavy rain is frequent so will need to fix it before allowing the car back on the road again...

Wiper blades are new bosch units.
Wiper arm spring tension is fine.
Have checked the electrical contact at the wiper motor, cleaned it, no luck, still too slow.
Have checked for full 12 volt at the connector and it is present. so likely not an electrical fault
So decided to remove the wiper motor for inspection.
In the process manage of removing the motor, I unfortunately damaged the rubber cover of the wiper linkage bushing (just the rubber, not the bushing. rubber is very crispy due to age)
With the wiper motor out, the wiper linkage move freely with minimal resistance with the wiper arms up, so linkage is probably fine.
I have tied a string on the motor side of linkage to fish it back up from the hole later.

Inside the gearbox section of the motor, grease is pretty much caked and has consistency of wax, so will need to clean it up and replace with fresh grease.
The rotor (armature?) looks fine, no burnt windings or broken copper wire, have yet to do a resistance check with multimeter.
Carbon brush is still plenty (at least 4mm left).
Brush holder and brush spring is fine.

So have got a few questions:
1. What kind of grease should be used for the gear box section?
The gear is made of plastic and have heard using the wrong kind of grease will cause the plastic to fail prematurely.
It will be metal-plastic contact.

I have nothing on hand now except silicone dielectric grease for rubber. (too thin for the job)
My tub of MP grease is contaminated with sand due to a mistake few months back.
So will need to buy some...

2. The rotor (armature) is supported 1 side by ball bearing and the other by bronze bushing, what kind of lubrication should be used for the bronze bushing? Oil or grease?
Have tried both in the past on small motors and gotten mixed result.
Have tried searching and the internet is divided into 2 camps too haha.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

-tea

Hi
Here is what is NOT recommended:
- Usual oil-based MP grease (the oil will make the plastic gears bridle)
- Silicone- based grease. (Will polymerise and become a sticky paste)
There are some special greases for plastic or plastic-metal applications available. E.g. MOLYKOTE® PG-65 Plastislip. But I have no idea what brands are available in Malaysia. Probably find an expert retailer and get an advise there.

For the bronce bushing use Lithium MP grease without solid additives (so NO MoS2 or ZnS additives).
Best regards
Ralf

Last edited:
Hey Ralf, thanks for the reply.

Duly noted.

Went around my entire town this afternoon to search for synthetic grease or anything that matches the criteria for this.
None of the industrial supplier nor spare parts shop carries them.
They only have standard MP or Moly EP grease.

However, manage to get a stick of Mobilgrease XHP222 and a grease gun for some other project.
The shop only mentions it as lithium-complex and doesn't mention the base oil type.
MSDS and product page on mobil website also doesn't mention it's base oil type.
There is no solid additive in it tho.

From mobil:
"Mobilgrease XHP™ 220 greases are extended service lithium complex greases intended for a wide variety of applications and severe operating conditions. These greases were designed to outperform conventional products by applying cutting edge, proprietary, lithium complex manufacturing technology. They are formulated to provide excellent high temperature performance with superb adhesion, structural stability and resistance to water contamination. These greases have a high level of chemical stability and offer excellent protection against rust and corrosion. These greases feature high dropping points and maximum recommended operating temperature of 140º C (284°F). Mobilgrease XHP 220 greases are available in NLGI grades 00, 0, 1, 2 and 3 with an ISO VG 220 base oil viscosity"

Will it be suitable for this job?

Anyone has idea about the exact plastic type the wiper motor gear is? (POM/ PA(nylon) / ABS/ PC?)

Have temperorily substituted with silicone grease as it does not attack plastic.

I belive the gear to be PA, PA6 maybe.

I have the same slow action you describe and haven't fixed it with the cleaning and regressing.

It may just be the motor is tired. I thought the bushes for the arms were suspect, but with motor disconnected I could operate by hand easily.

I believe the gear to be PA, PA6 maybe.
Ooh, ok. In this case I can be a little more flexible with my lubricant choice then. :D

have the same slow action you describe and haven't fixed it with the cleaning and regressing.

It may just be the motor is tired
Hrmmm, will it be possible that the stator magnet got weakened overtime due to engine heat?

Have yet to do the regrease. :)

1644129753353.jpeg

1644129779077.jpeg

Mmmm... caramel

Clean metal parts with brake clean and concentrated soap for the plastic parts.
1644130863999.jpeg
Hope this diagram help whoever who might want to regrease their motor too.
Remember to park motor in home position before reinstalling the arm

Good Intel danktank, I only cleaned and greased the gear housing, not the motor bushes.

PROJECT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom