Windshield Washer Line Install?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any advice for installing a new washer line? I need to get from the glove compartment up to the washer nozzle on top of the windshield frame on my '80 FJ40. I've never had the top off but I am starting to think I may need to do that and remove the entire windshield frame. Being 15 degress - I'm not too excited about going topless. The old metal pipe/line is still in the windshield frame but has a leak so I am attempting to thread a new rubber line up there with no luck.

I hope some of you have done this before because I am about out of ideas. Would appreciate any advice/help.

Andrew

I did it on my '78 many years ago, and did it without removing the top and lowering the windshield. I honestly don't remember how I did it. I either worked a wire down from the middle of the windshield or blew a string down with compressed air, but I don't remember which one. Try to blow the string first. If that fails, try feeding a 12 or 14 AWG copper wire down (bend the end in a small loop so it can turn the corner).

When you get the string or wire through, you can use it to pull the hose through.

HTH.
Todd Bull.

Washer Line Installed

It was a PITA but I finally got it - after 2 hours of fishing a wire hanger snake through the windshield frame. I found going in from the bottom of the frame near the glove compartment worked best and then was able to get it around the top corner and over to the hole behind the washer nozzle on top. Then just pulled through with the rubber hose attached. SOunds easy. Took time. But now I can drive in the snow and actually see. No more water bottle spray out the window going 50 - that really sucked.

A little late, but heres another idea for someone else in your predictament. Theres a small plastic piece on the hood that is shaped like a spray nozzle, but isn't. I pulled it off, went to a junkyard and found one of a subaru that was the same size and was a nozzle head. Ran my tube to it, and now I don't have to worry about it freezing up, the engine keeps it plenty warm. No holes to drill, and could last you till summer when you do take off your top, then you could fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom